• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Its not a "losing" situation for the Lions

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya I know but that's the D he was part of with better players were left with now.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slay is not nearly as good without Suh pressuring the QB and shutting down the run game.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slay is not nearly as good without Suh pressuring the QB and shutting down the run game.

I was talking about his cover skills and his growth against the rush. That was not Suh, that was Slay.

I know the response will be ... Good thing because now he will have to cover for ever with Suh gone.

It is a wonder that anyone has been successful on defense in NFL history without Suh?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you have no actual visual proof of that statement above for the mere fact you haven't seen Slay play yet without Suh. Your Ms. Cleo predictions don't always ring true. respectfully stated by me

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad this isn't true. Austin's 2013 defense ranked 12th in yards per game, points per game and total points.

He comes to Detroit w Suh and finishes 2014 w a top 3 defense.

Suh has always been super effective.

The sweet homer-optimism in this thread is hurting my teeth.

No good FAs are coming here. Forget it.

Suh was super effective his rookie year and last season. Otherwise he had good years not great. Until last season Ngata, McCoy, and Atkins were considered as good if not better around the league. We in Detroit tend to see out guys as being better than the national perspective.

Same thing I heard about the Tigers before they signed Pudge and turned it around. The Lions will get good players the same as they did last season with Tate and Idhego.

The only way Detroit sheds their losing image is by Mayhew making better personnel decisions. Can's waste picks on guys with issues like Young, Best, and LeShoure. I will have to check but I heard if Fairley leaves the Lions will not have any player from the 2010 or 2011 draft still on the team! Thats fucking ridiculous.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD,
1. ) I'm pretty sure you meant no state income tax here (not sales tax, is 7%)

2.) Suh landing in Oak, I can see it happening but going back to "Suh is about the $$$", he'd have to pay over 12.83% in state income tax for any type of bonus money, plus the game check money (Oak hm. gms. 8 plus the yearly road game at SD (1). Nine game checks (which is only base salary) at the 12.83%. That's still a lot of money, say on a 60M in guaranteed $$$$. if 40M of that amount is earned in Cali then that's nearly 5.2M wasted away paying state income tax.

Should Suh end up at Mia. or Jax or TB or Tenn or Hous he would have zero dollars in state income tax on all bonus money and all game checks for home and road in those above cities (states).

Money wise, the savings are HUGE by choosing Mia or Jax.

Yes I did mean State Income Tax. Michigan has an increase in state sales tax coming thats pissing me off.

I get the bite Cali would take on Suh but I think Suh believes he will have a better chance at a brand image that more than makes it up in the LA area. One of the reason he signed ruth Roc Nation. The first clue that Mayhew over looked!

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard on NFL XM the difference in a 6yr $102 million contract with Oakland and Miami is $7 million in state tax. Over a mill a year given up.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No good FAs are coming here. Forget it.
chicken-little.jpg

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you have no actual visual proof of that statement above for the mere fact you haven't seen Slay play yet without Suh. Your Ms. Cleo predictions don't always ring true. respectfully stated by me

And you have no visual proof Slay is any good without Suh. It's ludicrous to think Slay actually improves without Suh, but I get it. Lions fans.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you have no visual proof Slay is any good without Suh. It's ludicrous to think Slay actually improves without Suh, but I get it. Lions fans.
And....you have no visual proof how Slay will be without Suh. You gonna stick around to watch or u gonna go watch your new favorite team, the one Suh signs with?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I picture when I read your posts. They make me chuckle.

Cool.

And....you have no visual proof how Slay will be without Suh. You gonna stick around to watch or u gonna go watch your new favorite team, the one Suh signs with?

Slay is not as good without Suh. My opinion.

I'll do both. I'll watch this dumpster fire burn and wait for a new regime while cheering Suh on wherever he goes.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool.

Slay is not as good without Suh. My opinion.

I'll do both. I'll watch this dumpster fire burn and wait for a new regime while cheering Suh on wherever he goes.
Cool

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can even make a case that the Lions are now in a rebuilding mode after failing to capitalize on the window Suh provided them.

Needs -

New no.1 WR: Not an immediate need but it's another big one coming soon where the Lions will eventually again lose a great player and be unable to replace him with a player of the same caliber.

RB's need to be blown up: Bell has a lot of fans here. I'm not one of them. He simply fumbles way too much be to be a no.1 back.

Just lost out top player on D and our no.1 RB. And our top player on O is getting older and more banged up.

WR's will need an overhaul. I actually won't be surprised when Mayhew drafts a WR in the 1st round this year. It's not like we don't need them. Hopefully Tate is here for awhile. How many games will Calvin miss in 2015? There's no one behind them. Mayhew is still super confident is Ryan Broyles.

Oline: Need a LG. Lions will pick up Reiff's 5th year but will he bolt after that? How many fans will say cut his ass instead of paying him?

Dline: Yikes. Now we need 1-4 new DT's and we still have rusher roulette on the left side. Sooner than later they'll need a 3 down LE. Ziggy is here for a few more years at least.

Linebackers: Levy is an UFA next year. Lions fans will scream not to over pay him. He'll probably leave anyways. Tulloch is on his last legs. Van Noy has yet to play. Behind them is Whitehead and no one else. A total overhaul to the LB corp could be coming in the next 1-3 years.

Corners are a revolving door of stop gaps, sans Slay. Slay is our no.2. Search for no.1 continues.

We'll need a new SS next year and prob a new FS in next 3 years too.

Prater is good for a few years.

I definitely do not see this team competing for the playoffs. Not with the way the offense has been playing and obviously not without our famed D line intact any longer.

Identity of the team is gone, and so are there chances at a title with this roster. Blow it up.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll wait to see who we can get in free agency before I write this team off. I still think there's a chance we resign Suh. I'm optimistic.

But, this team, right now, with no major additions. Will be lucky to win 8 games unless Stafford makes a huge leap in development.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll wait to see who we can get in free agency before I write this team off. I still think there's a chance we resign Suh. I'm optimistic.

But, this team, right now, with no major additions. Will be lucky to win 8 games unless Stafford makes a huge leap in development.

Other than re-signing Suh, there are no major additions out there to get. The roster last year was good enough to beat Dallas in the playoffs. With a few lucky bounces and calls they had a punchers chance vs. Green Bay and Seattle. Bulking up the RB corps prob would have put that team over the top.

Now, you're right. 8 wins is a dream. More like 6.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard on NFL XM the difference in a 6yr $102 million contract with Oakland and Miami is $7 million in state tax. Over a mill a year given up.

I can see that because they're basing on it on the whole amount of the estimated 60M in guaranteed $$$. 60M x the Cali state income tax rate of 12.83% is about 7.7M ... you get taxed at a much lower rate (state income tax rate) when the Raiders play road games at Den, KC (like nearly 8% less in state income tax for game day checks only) and whomever the other 5 road games are against.

Any way you look at it, whether it's 5.2M or 7M or even 10M, that kind of money invested over time until he actually becomes of what we common people know as retirement age by SS standards, age 67 now for most, could be 10's of millions of dollars.

I'd like the good ol DR.Evil-er to put his financial back-ground to use and see what he can work up on having 7M to invest over 39 yrs time (Suh is 28yrs. old right now). A virtually low risk but steady investment. IMO, an annual 8% R.O.I. is fairly conservative yet realistic also to avg. during that 39 yrs.

I've been saying for quite some time he's all about the dollars. If I'm wrong, after finding out where he signs and for how much and what others rumored to offer, then I'll gladly have my plate of crow.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am more worried about the offense then defense. I have zero faith in Lombardi at this point. He needs to prove he can successfully run an offense. All the Suh talk is irrelevant. Austin will make do with whatever he has and we will still have a good defense albeit not number 1 or 2 in the league, but still good.

A difficult schedule and no offensive continuity will be the biggest hurdles to clear.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like the good ol DR.Evil-er to put his financial back-ground to use and see what he can work up on having 7M to invest over 39 yrs time (Suh is 28yrs. old right now). A virtually low risk but steady investment. IMO, an annual 8% R.O.I. is fairly conservative yet realistic also to avg. during that 39 yrs.

Haven't finished the thread, but I am hoping Dr. Evil-er chimes in and helps to clarify that an eight percent compound rate of return is HUGE, especially over 39 years. A conservative rate of return would be more in line with less than four percent annually. I do appreciate that you recognized the Dr. as a financial professional, and hopefully he will share a little of his expertise in areas outside of capology.