• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Its not a "losing" situation for the Lions

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree
Our LT spot is not broke. Why fix it this year? Swanson and new guy inside will be a upgrade instantly IMO. I only see one addition of OL being priority. Later round pick to replace Reynolds is ideal. Roll with Lucas and Waddle at RT

The Lions have cap space and this may be the best opportunity. Only if the right player at the right price. CB, DT, guard, are really more pressing.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their base is a 3-4, and Wilfork is a 3-4 nose tackle. He's a space-eater who stuffs the line of scrimmage and serves as a blocker for attacking linebackers. At his age and weight, he's not going to do you much good if you ask him to rush, pursue, stunt, move around....
That's sort of true and sort of misleading.

The Pats ran a 4 man front more often last season than they ran a 3 man front. Wilfork drew constant double teams when they were in the 4-3 and walled off well against the run, but he's also very good at collapsing the pocket up the middle with his raw power (one of Suh's best attributes as well, imo). That won't show up on the stat sheet because he's not getting the sacks from it, but it flushes the QB out for a sack by someone else, or an incomplete pass.

I think at his age (33) he's still got at least a couple of high-level seasons left in him. His game is all about power and explosion, and that's one of the attributes that ages pretty well...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been going back and forth about signing him. The Fairly of the first 8 games last season would be a hell yes! The Fairley of the previous few years would be hell no! Next to the best DT in the NFL he was practically invisible. When any other DT would have loved never having to worry about a double team and cleaning up in stats, he was on the back of a milk carton.

if someone could guarantee it's that Fairley (in the bold above) we'd be getting, I too agree, but the other Fairley flashes some on about 10-20% of all snaps played (meh, I'm low on that % but you get the jest of it).

I'm with ya JD.... I've been flip flopping regarding Fairley constantly of whether he's worth the risk bringing back.

Some team with loads of money will take that chance/risk of signing him just because they have the $$$ to do such a thing

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree
Our LT spot is not broke. Why fix it this year? Swanson and new guy inside will be a upgrade instantly IMO. I only see one addition of OL being priority. Later round pick to replace Reynolds is ideal. Roll with Lucas and Waddle at RT
If Buluga came at the right price he'd be an upgrade at RT, otherwise the draft is the only place where we're going to find a marked upgrade over Waddle and/or Lucas, imo. Waddle has the tools to be a quality LT if he could just stay fucking healthy. If he's healthy we're set at RT at the very least. Problem is he might be injury prone. Or he might not (look at Stafford's case). We need some insurance at the very least, although that may just come in the form of an improved Lucas, who dominated Jared Allen in hsi only start at LT last year.

All-in-all the cupboard isn't bare. However, I still wouldn't shed a tear if we upgraded via that #23 pick with a guy like Erik Flowers if he falls...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if someone could guarantee it's that Fairley (in the bold above) we'd be getting, I too agree, but the other Fairley flashes some on about 10-20% of all snaps played (meh, I'm low on that % but you get the jest of it).

I'm with ya JD.... I've been flip flopping regarding Fairley constantly of whether he's worth the risk bringing back.

Some team with loads of money will take that chance/risk of signing him just because they have the $$$ to do such a thing
I think Fairley is worth bringing back in this defense. I don't think it was the contract year that was motivating him so much as the coaching staff. I think Schwartz and his asshole routine probably didn't work well with an immature dud like Fairley. I think the new staff's approach of being direct with him about where he needs to be helped it click that he's a professional, and shit won't just be handed to him.

I think he realizes that he's in a great defense right now and can make a lot of money of he show's that he grown up some and can bring his best on a consistent basis.

That's just my take, though... I think.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO spending on a LT in free agency isn't the way to go.

First off, that's the natural position for both Lucas and Waddle. Let's see what we might already have there. At worst we have two versatile back ups at both ends. If we have to roll with Reiff there for another year then so be it.

I have no doubt that multiple possibilities are going to be available at our draft spot that offer versatility to play inside or outside. The right pick there should shore up the o-line. Fill the openings at DT in free agency.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Fairley is worth bringing back in this defense. I don't think it was the contract year that was motivating him so much as the coaching staff. I think Schwartz and his asshole routine probably didn't work well with an immature dud like Fairley. I think the new staff's approach of being direct with him about where he needs to be helped it click that he's a professional, and shit won't just be handed to him.

I think he realizes that he's in a great defense right now and can make a lot of money of he show's that he grown up some and can bring his best on a consistent basis.

That's just my take, though... I think.

damn... seriously... I didn't stop to view it that way... great interpretation... I like it

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO spending on a LT in free agency isn't the way to go.

First off, that's the natural position for both Lucas and Waddle. Let's see what we might already have there. At worst we have two versatile back ups at both ends. If we have to roll with Reiff there for another year then so be it.

I have no doubt that multiple possibilities are going to be available at our draft spot that offer versatility to play inside or outside. The right pick there should shore up the o-line. Fill the openings at DT in free agency.
Agreed. Our biggest hole right now is at LG. A guy like Scherff (if the football gods love us and let him fall to #23) or Collins would be ideal. I'd still take a top tackle that falls to us if that happens, though, and see how it shakes out.

As we've discussed at length the last few years, the beauty of Reiff is that he can stay at LT, flip to RT, or plug the hole at LG depending on what route we take. Very versatile guy. Ideally, I think, he winds up at RT with a more athletic guy on the left, but we're not in bad shape if he's a ten-year starter for us at left tackle, either...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the issue with Wiz is that he was with the old regime and the Raiders current staff don't want to pay those guys they did not have a choice of taking. Juvenile IMO. Unfortunately, ego plays a role in pro sports.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as LT, I am OK with where we are at least for 1 more year. Then we will know what have ( or have not)

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm dead serious on the following... You might as well add C/OG FSU Cameron Erving to that equation of Scherff and La'el Collins... All three of those are extremely versatile.. I don't want to read 1 comment that Erving is rated 25th or 30th or 32nd overall in the rankings and he'd be a reach for us at 32... It's pretty damn simple in my mind in that ALL scout's have stated he should be in the 1dt round equation... You pass on a versatile player like that who projects as a day 1 NFL starter, you'll be kicking yourself later on..

Keep in mind that Cameron Erving could play just about anywhere on the line, not great at each position but if the team had an emergency situation on hand, Erving could do pretty good anywhere in an emergency LT/RT/LG/C

Last edited:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the issue with Wiz is that he was with the old regime and the Raiders current staff don't want to pay those guys they did not have a choice of taking. Juvenile IMO. Unfortunately, ego plays a role in pro sports.

I'll also add that the money they have to spend could very easily go to high priced FA's like Reggie Cobb, DeMarco Murray, Suh, Greg Hardy etc. Some management, IMO, seem to think just any ole one can come in to play C. They're the QB of the O-Line, the Center is.... maybe I'm missing something too but all too often I see good quality guys like Wiz/Hudson hitting FA and I don't understand why when said team letting them go has money to spend

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If guys like Waynes or Gurley drop and are available, An interior lineman will not get a second look though.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If guys like Waynes or Gurley drop and are available, An interior lineman will not get a second look though.
Waynes probably beats out anyone available at #23 if he's there, but there's a lot of O-lineman who could drop that would be selected over Gurley, imo, and I'm a big Gurley supporter.

I think Gurley will be a stud in the NFL, but if I think a guy who will be equally as good along the o-line is there I'm going to take the lineman every time in that situation...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm dead serious on the following... You might as well add C/OG FSU Cameron Erving to that equation of Scherff and La'el Collins... All three of those are extremely versatile.. I don't want to read 1 comment that Erving is rated 25th or 30th or 32nd overall in the rankings and he'd be a reach for us at 32... It's pretty damn simple in my mind in that ALL scout's have stated he should be in the 1dt round equation... You pass on a versatile player like that who projects as a day 1 NFL starter, you'll be kicking yourself later on..

Keep in mind that Cameron Erving could play just about anywhere on the line, not great at each position but if the team had an emergency situation on hand, Erving could do pretty good anywhere in an emergency LT/RT/LG/C
Erving absolutely looks to be worth the pick if that's the direction we decide to go. I think he's a very "safe" pick, and there's nothing wrong with that. Our o-line in general needs help. That's basically the position he plays.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a big advantage to keeping a good-enough, but not elite, LT like Reiff at the position- his contract. Elite LTs make elite $$. They're right up there with WR/CB/DE. Having a guy like Reiff makes it a lot easier to have stability at the position for Stafford's foreseeable future without breaking the bank...

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would much rather see a drafted RB than any FA RB on the market. Cheaper and less miles.

If the Lions end up with DB Maxwell, DT Paea, and Odrick for the price of Suh I think Detroit comes out of this OK. Or 3 FA of that type. You sink a huge amount into 1 guy and he turns into a bust....Albert Haynesworth, or gets injured then you hamstring the organization for years.

The one thing I am interested in and it's funny the number has not been leaked is what Detroit offered Suh.

I wouldn't think for even a second that Suh would become the next Haynesworth. Fat Albert had 2 outstanding seasons. The first he was in his last year of his rookie contract. The second was the next year after Tennessee franchised him. It was pretty clear what motivated him.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we were running a 3-4, I'd be for bringing him in. Not sure he'd be effective in a 4-3.

An NT in a 3-4 should have no problem playing DT in a 4-3. His job will be eating up space and taking double teams no matter the scheme.