• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Got to hit some balls finally

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few years ago I buckled down and put in some real practice and finally did something as a golfer. Shot -3 and won a huge Open that we hold in Nebraska, qualified for the Amateur, and then finished 3rd in a Regional event.

The past few years I have hit hardly any range and fell back. This year I'm hoping for another one of those good years. Putting in TONS of practice.

Get out to the range, record your swing with your phone, come back home and watch Adam Scott's swing in slow-motion on youtube. Make adjustments, go back out, repeat. The pro's have all the experience that we don't have, and 95% of their swings are flawless. Just pay attention to their hands, their upper body and head, and last but not least the way they shift their weight.

In the end it's all about timing, and if you hit enough range you'll get your timing down. That's what I'm working towards right now.

I try to work on my short game 3 times a week but I can't handle any more than 50 balls...maybe on a Sat I can hit dbl that amount.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try to work on my short game 3 times a week but I can't handle any more than 50 balls...maybe on a Sat I can hit dbl that amount.

Really? Man I could hit all day. I would if I wasn't married.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Man I could hit all day. I would if I wasn't married.

Well...I started playing late...mid 30s. now mid 50s...I used to hit a lot of balls well into my 40s...at this point...I'm probably not going to get it accurate enough to hit 80% GIR unless I start playing from the red tees or something.

Truthfully...I just don't want my swing to COST me many strokes by finding hazards, OB and the like...lol

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...I started playing late...mid 30s. now mid 50s...I used to hit a lot of balls well into my 40s...at this point...I'm probably not going to get it accurate enough to hit 80% GIR unless I start playing from the red tees or something.

Truthfully...I just don't want my swing to COST me many strokes by finding hazards, OB and the like...lol

You know what's crazy? I am 30 years old and would consider myself an exceptional golfer. I have 2 great friends that I grew up with who are both now PGA Professionals and are 3 years younger than I am. When I golf with those guys I'm almost always with other Pros as well.

But the best 2 golfers I know personally are 51 and 59 years old. The one started golfing when he was 37 and never took a lesson. In 2013 when he was 57 years old, he played in our big Open Tournament that we hold every year and he shot 35 on the front, and 30 on the back.

Just unreal. Both guys just have nice easy swings and they love being around the green. The best part about this game is you can always get better, no matter how old you are. It's just such a mind game.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That dude that shot that 65......he wears jean shorts and a tshirt every time I golf with him. Nothing flashy about him. He just believes he's good.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what's crazy? I am 30 years old and would consider myself an exceptional golfer. I have 2 great friends that I grew up with who are both now PGA Professionals and are 3 years younger than I am. When I golf with those guys I'm almost always with other Pros as well.

But the best 2 golfers I know personally are 51 and 59 years old. The one started golfing when he was 37 and never took a lesson. In 2013 when he was 57 years old, he played in our big Open Tournament that we hold every year and he shot 35 on the front, and 30 on the back.

Just unreal. Both guys just have nice easy swings and they love being around the green. The best part about this game is you can always get better, no matter how old you are. It's just such a mind game.

Yep...LY I shot my career low and that round...I left a few strokes out there.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Started out with a 6 iron into my net and then worked up to about a dozen wedge shots in the front lawn. My elbow doesn't feel any worse for it this morning so here's to hoping I can play my league match next Wed!

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Started out with a 6 iron into my net and then worked up to about a dozen wedge shots in the front lawn. My elbow doesn't feel any worse for it this morning so here's to hoping I can play my league match next Wed!

good luck

hope the elbow holds up

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks.

Played for the first time last Wednesday. Played pretty well but didn't score well. 43 but had a triple and a double. Hit the ball ok it just hurt. I'll play again tomorrow and see how it goes.

9 holes a week might be all I can play so low 40s is about as realistic as I can expect. It was just great to be able to play at all.

Last edited:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks.

Played for the first time last Wednesday. Played pretty well but didn't score well. 43 but had a triple and a double. Hit the ball ok it just hurt. I'll play again tomorrow and see how it goes.

9 holes a week might be all I can play so low 40s is about as realistic as I can expect. It was just great to be able to play at all.

9 holes is better than none...glad you were able to get out.

9 hole rounds go one of two ways for me and both leave me wanting...really good so I want see how I would finish the other 9, or bad and I need 9 more to redeem myself.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's true. This is league matches though and after playing 9 with some of these cats, you're ready for cold beer!

Cold and windy again here in Southern New England for today's match.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's true. This is league matches though and after playing 9 with some of these cats, you're ready for cold beer!

Cold and windy again here in Southern New England for today's match.

Yeah, I remember one of the matches LY!

GL...a little on the warm side today in north GA, but not too bad...great golf day, very little wind...humidity lower after the rain came thru yesterday and it's supposed to stay that way into the holiday weekend...18 for sure, and I will try for 36.

packerzrule

Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last weekend, I shot a 43 on the front and a 52 on the back.

Brilliance to beer fart in a wink of an eye :L

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My elbow seems to be slowly getting better. I've been able to play three matches but with no practice.

Had a nice evening weatherwise to play on Wednesday and holy crap, I pulled 7 miracle shots off on the same round to shoot an even par 35 while my partner closed birdie birdie for a 34! That won't happen again for a while. I mean, I'm talking four walk off homers with the wedge cut to gimmie distances never taking the putter out of the bag. A couple of clutch putts including one on eight. I hit a fine shot to the middle of the par three and I'm even par. GACK the fucking approach putt and leave it 6ft short on a side hill....fully expecting the bogey that's gonna screw up my perfect score, I proceed to jar that putt too. Burned the edge of the hole on nine from off the green that would have been a 34 for me as well. Cripes, I only hit two greens and on one of those I snaked in a 30 footer for bird.

I had to give a stroke a hole to my opponent....nice guy but crappy player and of course he couldn't hang with that.

Back to shooting + or - 40 next week but it was fun~

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My elbow seems to be slowly getting better. I've been able to play three matches but with no practice.

Had a nice evening weatherwise to play on Wednesday and holy crap, I pulled 7 miracle shots off on the same round to shoot an even par 35 while my partner closed birdie birdie for a 34! That won't happen again for a while. I mean, I'm talking four walk off homers with the wedge cut to gimmie distances never taking the putter out of the bag. A couple of clutch putts including one on eight. I hit a fine shot to the middle of the par three and I'm even par. GACK the fucking approach putt and leave it 6ft short on a side hill....fully expecting the bogey that's gonna screw up my perfect score, I proceed to jar that putt too. Burned the edge of the hole on nine from off the green that would have been a 34 for me as well. Cripes, I only hit two greens and on one of those I snaked in a 30 footer for bird.

I had to give a stroke a hole to my opponent....nice guy but crappy player and of course he couldn't hang with that.

Back to shooting + or - 40 next week but it was fun~

Even par is kickass and and your bud bettering that had to be fun! What a kickass round...now that one would leave me wondering "what if".

Talk about 40s...my last 5 rds 86,89,84,93,86...5 different courses, all new...for the next few weeks we'll be back on our normal rota tracks...was good to play some new tracks, but making too many 6s.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks but man, I didn't have a single what if to question. I only hit two greens but those were clutch iron shots. I def scored better than I played so I'll chock it up to some luck.

...and I'll report tomorrow's score I promise!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks but man, I didn't have a single what if to question. I only hit two greens but those were clutch iron shots. I def scored better than I played so I'll chock it up to some luck.

...and I'll report tomorrow's score I promise!

I hear ya...that's been my problem...scoring...I'd normally say good luck, but it appears you have plenty! LOL

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CRIPES!

Last night I played the first five holes as if I'd never played before. My number fell to a 4 and I was giving a ton of strokes. After losing the match, I closed par par par.

I'm polish so I reverse sand-bagged!

46!

...mostly I just Tin Cupped the 6th hole. Duffed a drive and then tried to clear the hazard 180yds out dumping two in a row into the swamp!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My index is still under 10...somehow...you have to play a lot of bad golf, bad as in dbl bogey..it kicks out terrible....the system kicked out the 11 I had 2 weeks ago so instead of my actual 87, I posted a max 7 and a 83 for handicap purposes.

packerzrule

Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shot my best score this season last weekend - 83

Funny how accurate drives and a competent short game leads to a decent score