• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Got to hit some balls finally

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure you do...I've played some really nice courses for free...namely TPC Sugarloaf and the River Club, but rarely have I gotten a hook up like that!!

Cherokee Run is the only course out east that I've played.

The Metro ATL golf landscape is probably the same as when you were here, a few on the east and south side didn't make it.

It's still either high end private, cannongate, or residential semi-private tracks...Cannongate did expand...they gobbled up about 6 to 8 courses ion the north side in th elast 5 yrs.

Very few munis. Chicopee Woods owned by Hall county is probably the best muni around. $35 or so after 12 on weekend and they have 27 holes. I play there about once a month.

Mystery Valley which you may remember is run by a golf management company, but they may still be own by Dekalb...not sure. Solid track, very reasonable.

My splurge course to play this year.

Echelon Golf Club - Great Golf, Pure and Simple

In Alpharetta...at one point it was the home course for Tech.

The other must play for me this year is actually a $35 round...a St Park course...about an hr & 40 northeast on the SC state line. Arrowhead on Lake B Russell...great lay out, no houses, lake views every bit as good as those triple digit Lake Oconee tracks
The Oconee ones are pretty nice. They have some of them set up so people can tie up their boat at a dock and go golfing. Pretty cool if you ask me. I think I've seen a few around Wisconsin like that too. I've played Cherokee Run quite a few times since it's in my hometown. I've heard the course has been in pretty rough shape lately though.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We still have snow on the ground.

dean-winchester-crying.gif

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Oconee ones are pretty nice. They have some of them set up so people can tie up their boat at a dock and go golfing. Pretty cool if you ask me. I think I've seen a few around Wisconsin like that too. I've played Cherokee Run quite a few times since it's in my hometown. I've heard the course has been in pretty rough shape lately though.

That's sad if so...it gets a lot of play...I do know that. I didn't make it out there LY, hard golf course, but the ball sits up on the zoysia Fws so nice.

Cuscowilla is my favorite on Lake Oconee...Great Waters I hear a lot about but never played it...a Lake Oconee outing is on my agenda...but this year I plan to travel out to COLO and play again...a little 4 day trek.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's sad if so...it gets a lot of play...I do know that. I didn't make it out there LY, hard golf course, but the ball sits up on the zoysia Fws so nice.

Cuscowilla is my favorite on Lake Oconee...Great Waters I hear a lot about but never played it...a Lake Oconee outing is on my agenda...but this year I plan to travel out to COLO and play again...a little 4 day trek.
To be fair that was when the drought was in effect a few years ago. Most of the people I stay in touch with don't live in the area anymore.

I bet Colorado has some nice courses. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of them were like a course I played in Cherokee, NC a couple years ago. Almost every tee box there was basically 100-200 feet above the fairway.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair that was when the drought was in effect a few years ago. Most of the people I stay in touch with don't live in the area anymore.

I bet Colorado has some nice courses. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of them were like a course I played in Cherokee, NC a couple years ago. Almost every tee box there was basically 100-200 feet above the fairway.

OK...that sounds more like it, any number of courses struggled back then...it was in great shape the one time I did play it in '13...I said that was it out east...I take that back...play Hard Labor Creek at least once a year...another ST. Park track...also very nice for the money.

COLO Golf...they do...DEN proper courses surprisingly are mostly flat with slight changes in elevation. Walking is very common out there.

This trip will take us west to the foothills for one round @ Bear Dance, killer track...and further west along I70 to Lakota Canyon Ranch and Redlands Mesa...very playable, but mountain golf as you described...the mountain views are stunning.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I finally made it out to play 18. Fairways still soggy from 5 straight weeks of rain. Didn't even hit a bucket of balls first. Not too bad. Couple of pars and one bird. Had a hell of a good time. Me and a couple of guys from work use the GolfNow ap and try a different course in the DFW area every couple of weeks. Sun burned like a mofo...

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played 9 holes today and it was pretty windy and ran into a few hazards :(

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got in 9 yesterday...totally unexpected, no warm up, +10 46...incl a quad 9 on the 1st hole...1 bird, 3 pars....so I was really terrible or pretty good...not many bogey holes.

I played a round in Jan, but this was my 1st round since then...felt good to get out and swing when it counted.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the time of year that Seattle starts getting great. 6:30 at night and I was able to get on for some cheap super-twilight golf until 8:00 for like $8.00. I was going to go to the driving range but why not hit off of grass for the same price?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Likewise here weather wise...we've had a rainy winter/spring...greening up a little...low humidity mid 70s with a nice breeze but not too windy...ideal...summer heat/humidity will kick in Jul/Aug...not bad if you play early, starting at 2...I wouldn't advise on people my age or older.

Course wise...another 2 weeks and the fairways will be much thicker, I played yesterday and they have very nice turf already. Even they were wet in a few areas.

I love the fescue fairways out in DEN I would assume WAS would be similar.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First 18 hole round yesterday...same track I played earlier in the week....one of regular rota.

43 43...pleased...hit some really good shots, 1 birdie...and a couple rough ones again...not fatigue but lack of concentration led to some big numbers, had a triple on each side...3 jacked 18 from 40' but putted well...overall, again I was pleased for the 1st round.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally got out on a real golf course today. Played 9 at the Candia Woods GC in some blustery conditions and did OK. Shot a 6 over 41 on the front and really can't complain at all considering my handicap. The bunkers were all still mostly filled with snow so we took drops (no closer to the hole) and the greens were lumpy and bumpy, but pretty quick considering how hairy they looked.

All in all I had a blast and I am looking forward to knocking that handicap down 3 to 5 strokes this summer.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played today! :thumb:

I may move south, but only as far as the Carolinas.

Coastal N. CAR is nice, mild but they have a winter season much like GA...Charleston is nice, but in general, I'm not that high on low country SC.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coastal N. CAR is nice, mild but they have a winter season much like GA...Charleston is nice, but in general, I'm not that high on low country SC.

Friend of mine lives about 15 minutes from Ft Bragg/Pope AFB and I have visited at least 10 times in all seasons. I like it down there in Sanford. Don't think I'd be too up for living on the coast and I don't want to go any further south than that.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friend of mine lives about 15 minutes from Ft Bragg/Pope AFB and I have visited at least 10 times in all seasons. I like it down there in Sanford. Don't think I'd be too up for living on the coast and I don't want to go any further south than that.

I here ya...Ideally I would like to have two small places...one in So. GA...St. Simons or even slightly north of there for winter/spring...the other place up in Blue Ridge, GA...spring & summer. St. Simon tries to be a little more ritzy than I care for, but still a small town. I would have Cali like weather almost year round, right here in GA.

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played twice last week, while visiting family in FL. Didn't play very well, but better than I expected to, considering how rusty I was.

Generally, I try to play a round or two per month during the winter, but the last 2 winters have been too brutal. Until last week, my last round was on the day after Christmas, when the temp hit 50.

Nice to see people getting out again. I'm hoping to get 9 played tomorrow.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shot a pair of 44's Sunday. Pretty happy so far on my swing mechanics.

Now if I only could read those effin greens.