• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16: The Dallas Cowboys Thread

How Far Will the Dallas Cowboys Go in 2015?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like I can't agree with anyone on the OL versus Murray debate. All I know is once the networks started showing the "3 First round picks" and making a big deal out of it CONSTANTLY the Dallas OL suddenly became the best line in the league by a lot. Not sure their reputation didn't surpass their play somewhere around week 8 or 9. The other thing I know is that with his best year by a mile according to most everyone Murray's YPC dropped. So the thought he was no good without this particular OL is crazy IMO. All Murray needed was health. I've been saying for years all they need to do is dedicate more to the run. They finally did it and good things happened.

Now on the opposite side this OL IS the best in the NFL now IMO and should be even better this year. You don't need a franchise back in the NFL and there is no reason that a committee can't play well enough to have a dominant running game behind this line this season. I did not fell Dallas needed to grab one of these RBs like many did and would have been shocked if they had taken one in the first two rounds. If they can find a guy to pass protect and catch the ball on third downs and a guy to handle the short yardage that they were were so successful at last year (doesn't need to be the same guy) the Offense will not look much different at all.

I guess I'm just taking the middle road on this one. It wasn't the OL and it wasn't Murray, it was both.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts on the 2015 season for the Dallas Cowboys...

First and foremost, Dallas is highly dependent on good health from some key players. This is true for all teams, but Dallas has not had the greatest of luck over the past few years dealing with injuries. The Cowboys could really use full healthy seasons from Sean Lee, Rolando McClain, Tyrone Crawford, Demarcus Lawrence, Darren McFadden and, most importantly, Tony Romo. Of course everyone needs to be healthy, but these guys have additional concern attached, and all figure to play key roles in 2015.

The draft class looks to be very talented -- let's see if they can translate that to on field success. I have high hopes that La'el Collins will be a player year one, likely supplanting Ron Leary as the starting LG. Dallas has had major contributions from rookies along the O-line in 3 of the past 4 years, I look for Collins to continue that trend. Jones and Gregory will probably take a little seasoning, but I think both will steadily improve as the year progresses -- no question they both have the tools to get the job done. The rest of the draft class looks pretty solid and should provide good depth in time.

Running Back is an interesting position going into training camp. Joseph Randle is talented and showed very well in a limited roll last year, but dammit if this guy isn't an idiot who doesn't know when to shut up. I think eventually Randle is going to talk his way out of a job, JMO. Darren McFadden is the X-factor in my opinion, if he is healthy and still has some of that speed that made him a top pick, then he may end up surprising a lot of people this year. He will have huge lanes to run through, and if he still has that speed, the home run potential is immense. Ryan Williams is an unknown at this point.

The pass rush looks to be in much better shape going into 2015. Demarcus Lawrence figures to be a big part of the D-Line going forward, he showed some major signs of life in Dallas' two playoff games after spending most of the season rehabilitating a foot injury. Tyrone Crawford figures to be improved as he continues to gain experience, but even more importantly he will be another year removed from an achilles rupture. I expect to see improved explosion from Crawford, who was often just a step too slow last year to get to the QB. Randy Gregory should bring some energy and athleticism to the D-Line on obvious passing downs, but I don't expect a lot out of him this year as he really needs to add some weight and strength. The biggest addition to this line will be Greg Hardy, and when he is reinstated I expect big things out of him. The word out of practice about Hardy's work ethic is very encouraging, he should be ready to go when he is allowed back on the field. I am betting his suspension will be significantly reduced down to 3-6 games. Jeremy Mincey will be very good depth. The entire D-Line looks to take a massive leap forward.

If Sean Lee and Rolando McClain can stay healthy for an entire season, these two teamed with Anthony Hitchens will make for one of the very best 4-3 LB trios in the league -- 'nough said.

The secondary still needs work, but with an improved pass rush they should be exposed less often. I think Byron Jones helps the Cowboys most as a FS, but we will see how it plays out on the field.

Tony Romo gets an off season to rest! For the first time in a few years Romo will not have to deal with surgery or rehabbing one of his various injuries. I expect a performance on par with his last few years -- which is pretty damned good.

All in all, there is a lot of reason for optimism as a Cowboy fan -- I'm excited! With good health this team figures to be a threat to make a deep post season run. There are a few "measuring stick" games on the Cowboys schedule this year, so we will see what they are made of pretty early on. I'm looking forward to doubling down on the Seahawks this year.

Good post. You are needed on the Ravens board. Can you find something "ravens" to say?????

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm just taking the middle road on this one. It wasn't the OL and it wasn't Murray, it was both.
I agree with that, but I don't think many -- if anyone -- are saying Murray is garbage. He's "good" but I would struggle to put him in the top 10 at his position. I say he barely gets > 50% of his '14 rushing total this year in Philly.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Demarcus Lawrence missed a lot of the season but came on strong in the playoffs. He'll make a big jump up this year and will be a big factor in the pass rush.
& to add to that. Now being on the left side he for the most part will be facing the lesser Tackle on the team.
Zimmer is a good coach. I wouldn't lose faith in him. He'll get it turned around.
I am one of those that think Zimmer is a defensive guru. he can get the most out of less talent than most out there.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Defense should improve this year. The Boys will need a solid running attack to keep the offense moving and that's a ? mark to everybody now. Romo playing like he did last year and of course they will need to stay healthy.

If and I say again If all 4 of those above happen they should have a productive season and be in the playoffs then its anybody's chance to win a SB.

JMHO

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to say, I'm surprised at the 5 votes to miss the playoffs. Not that I wouldn't love that, just doesn't seem likely.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to say, I'm surprised at the 5 votes to miss the playoffs. Not that I wouldn't love that, just doesn't seem likely.

Anything can happen. I voted win the SB, I will admit homerism may have clouded my judgement. Odds are the 5 who said miss the PO's are haters. Just wonder if they will admit to clouded judgement.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything can happen. I voted win the SB, I will admit homerism may have clouded my judgement. Odds are the 5 who said miss the PO's are haters. Just wonder if they will admit to clouded judgement.
Actually if you look, they are not haters. I guessing that they feel good about the Eagles chances, and that losing Murray is going cause the Cowboys to get pass happy and the defense will be on the field to much, lacking a time chewing offense. Could happen I guess, but I still think the Cowboys try to pound the ball, most likely with less success, but they won't become pass happy. That would be bad all the way around.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First off you know as well as I do many people vote for reasons other than what they really feel will most likely happen. But, I get that some people think Dallas won't be able to run the ball and will thus be exposed on defense and Romo will throw a bunch of picks. Or that some people just think Philly and/or the Giants will do better and the NFC East won't get a wild card.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off you know as well as I do many people vote for reasons other than what they really feel will most likely happen. But, I get that some people think Dallas won't be able to run the ball and will thus be exposed on defense and Romo will throw a bunch of picks. Or that some people just think Philly and/or the Giants will do better and the NFC East won't get a wild card.
Giants? Please, no way.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually if you look, they are not haters. I guessing that they feel good about the Eagles chances, and that losing Murray is going cause the Cowboys to get pass happy and the defense will be on the field to much, lacking a time chewing offense. Could happen I guess, but I still think the Cowboys try to pound the ball, most likely with less success, but they won't become pass happy. That would be bad all the way around.

No, a couple of them are definitely Cowboy haters, but that is fine. Everyone gets to voice their opinion and Dallas has yet to earn the right to assume they show up and make the playoffs. That is what is so different about this team. Previous teams (Wade Phillips) would be taking about how good they did last year. This team is talking about tearing it all down and starting from scratch again. They are no longer soft or just go through the motions. That is why they did so well last year and hopefully why they will again...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants? Please, no way.

I'm not saying that's what I think there. I'm saying I can see others thinking that. But to be honest I think the Giants bounce back a little bit this year.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying that's what I think there. I'm saying I can see others thinking that. But to be honest I think the Giants bounce back a little bit this year.
Got to say they have surprise in the past by bouncing back against the odds.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Romo goes out for any substantial length of time they'll be in trouble. The 4 games they lost last year all involved either Romo being out or Romo not being 100%.

The offense will be fine and while they don't have a guy that can replace Murray they could probably replace that production by committee.

There was a definite influx of talent on defense. Lee coming back is an upgrade itself, Byron Jones will be a welcome addition to a weak secondary, Hardy (depending on his suspension) will complete revamp this pass rush and if Gregory is half as good as advertised they will have quite the pass rush. Demarcus Lawrence was their 2nd round pick last year, missed most of the year but was their best pass rusher in the playoffs. Assuming he continues to progress he should be a force.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows? They have professional talent and if the injuries are kind....I mean everyone and their grandmother said this time last year Dallas would struggle to win 6 football games. The preseason had 95% sure Dallas might not win 3 football games and would field the worst defense in the history of football.

12 wins later.....might be a good idea to not assume a team like the giants have no shot.

week to week season and year to year league

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could be said about way more teams than not

That's true, although I would probably take most team's backups over Brandon Weeden. He was frighteningly bad in his cameo appearances last year.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bump before the season. 28 votes seems low for the Cowboys...