• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16: The Dallas Cowboys Thread

How Far Will the Dallas Cowboys Go in 2015?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12-4 was shocking last year. 8-8 is more in line with what to expect with their type of talent IMO.

To get 16 games out of Murray and romo last year was nothing more than a minor miracle.

I just think losing Murray will thrust too much offense back on Romo and that he simply won't last. That back is going to catch up with at some point as he ages and I just think it will happen sooner rather than later.

And their defense played much better than anyone could have anticipated last year...and they were still nothing more than average. I just don't see them getting the same type of production from the unit. Hell last year McClain was one of the best LB's in footballer times...flukes like that don't usually happen two years in a row.

The one wild card for them really is hardy. They NEED him to be a stud. Their DL in the games he misses is probably the worst in the league. Even with him the unit is not good. Everyone likes to point to their OL and point to how games are still won in the trenches. This year I think people will be able to point to their DL and say that is where games are lost too.

romo didn't play 16 last year.

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must have failed english. Comprehension is not your strong point.

When someone is dumb it makes it harder for the rest of us. If u don't understand something don't lash out it just draws more attention to u;ask for help.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When someone is dumb it makes it harder for the rest of us. If u don't understand something don't lash out it just draws more attention to u;ask for help.

UR dumbass bc u talk in textese. Try English 2 us txt Msgs , Jst Typ Yr Msg in d lft bx

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Cowboys could go to the Super Bowl. They are probably the 2nd or 3rd most talented team, and they provide matchup problems for anyone. Getting back Lee and adding pass rushers to D is key

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe you should look at the roster again.

Every time I do I see a team with the potential of having the worst defense in the league (bottom 5 in the league talent wise IMO) and a QB that looks as if he is one poorly placed hit from calling it a career. That's why I said 8-8.

You have to love their OL and their receiving weapons. But past that there isn't a whole lot on that team to be excited about. Hell their isn't much on their roster outside of that that is even league average.

Last year was a perfect storm to get them to 12-4 IMO. Seasons where everything just fall into place usually don't happen two seasons in a row.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time I do I see a team with the potential of having the worst defense in the league (bottom 5 in the league talent wise IMO) and a QB that looks as if he is one poorly placed hit from calling it a career. That's why I said 8-8.

You have to love their OL and their receiving weapons. But past that there isn't a whole lot on that team to be excited about. Hell their isn't much on their roster outside of that that is even league average.

Last year was a perfect storm to get them to 12-4 IMO. Seasons where everything just fall into place usually don't happen two seasons in a row.

Everything fell into place? You mean like hitting on draft picks for a few years in a row, and having them pay off? You mean like losing your defensive leader in ST? You mean like losing our starting QB for almost two games? Sure, we had some nice surprises like Rolando but that was about all that just happened to fall into place. If you think our OL fell into place look how many first round draft picks we spent on that. There is a plan in place, and a big step backwards isn't part of it.

As for your QB comment, show my one QB or even one player who isn't "one poorly placed hit from calling it a career" and I'll show you someone who doesn't play in the NFL. There isn't a team in the league that has a QB immune from injury.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything fell into place? You mean like hitting on draft picks for a few years in a row, and having them pay off? You mean like losing your defensive leader in ST? You mean like losing our starting QB for almost two games? Sure, we had some nice surprises like Rolando but that was about all that just happened to fall into place. If you think our OL fell into place look how many first round draft picks we spent on that. There is a plan in place, and a big step backwards isn't part of it.

As for your QB comment, show my one QB or even one player who isn't "one poorly placed hit from calling it a career" and I'll show you someone who doesn't play in the NFL. There isn't a team in the league that has a QB immune from injury.
Exactly this. When Lee went down, most "experts" had Dallas in the cellar

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Still not sure how objective you're being regarding this. Their first round pick was a cornerback, they added a guy many thought was a top 10 talent to the pass rush, they added an all world pass rusher in Greg Hardy, they'll have Demarcus Lawrence for a full season as well as getting Sean Lee back. How do you figure a defense that was middle of the pack last year and has had an influx of talent will fall to a bottom 5 team?

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe the Cowboys season will be like last year's except the breaks will fall their way this time around.

I dont like running back by committee, but I also was on pins/needles last year every game waiting for Murray to get injured (his history). But that offensive line is good, and got better this off-season; if just one back can step up to the degree that he can be counted on, look out. The others can then pitch in and provide value.

Question to me is, who is going to be the primary guy?

Defense, is going to be better. Lee, by the law of averages, has to have one year healthy due him. They have drafted potentially great pass rushers, and the secondary cant get worse, they will be better.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly this. When Lee went down, most "experts" had Dallas in the cellar

Hell, I'm no expert and I thought the worst. I didn't see any way we got better after the departures and then Lee going down as well. I thought we were in for all sorts of new records in futility.

I am not a homer to think our defense will never regress. But I see enough things addressed that I don't immediately think we are going to revert back to the worst defense in the league like we were 2 years ago.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe the Cowboys season will be like last year's except the breaks will fall their way this time around.

I dont like running back by committee, but I also was on pins/needles last year every game waiting for Murray to get injured (his history). But that offensive line is good, and got better this off-season; if just one back can step up to the degree that he can be counted on, look out. The others can then pitch in and provide value.

Defense, is going to be better. Lee, by the law of averages, has to have one year healthy due him. They have drafted potentially great pass rushers, and the secondary cant get worse, they will be better.

It is going to be impossible to replace 1800 yards by Murray. Even with three guys. However, I'd gladly take 1400 yards (even by committee) and half as many fumbles. If we can get that, fewer fumbles and anywhere close to 1400 yards out of whomever lines up in the backfield then I think we will be better off. I've also heard people talk about losing Murrays blocking. This could be me trying to rationalize losing him, but I remember more than a few times where Murray either was standing there missing a blocking assignment or completely whiffed on someone. I don't think we can match Murray with a single runner, but there are things other than yards to account for and if we can improve those other aspects as well then things aren't going to be as bad as naysayers want us to believe.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is going to be impossible to replace 1800 yards by Murray. Even with three guys. However, I'd gladly take 1400 yards (even by committee) and half as many fumbles. If we can get that, fewer fumbles and anywhere close to 1400 yards out of whomever lines up in the backfield then I think we will be better off. I've also heard people talk about losing Murrays blocking. This could be me trying to rationalize losing him, but I remember more than a few times where Murray either was standing there missing a blocking assignment or completely whiffed on someone. I don't think we can match Murray with a single runner, but there are things other than yards to account for and if we can improve those other aspects as well then things aren't going to be as bad as naysayers want us to believe.

even if we'd had kept him, he wouldnt be able to replicate those numbers this year...that's how I rationalize his departure.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lee is definitely due for some good health going his way. It will be interesting to see how McFadden does running behind an offensive line that is not a sieve. Sounds like it's his job to lose to start. Following UConn I really like the Byron Jones pick.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've also heard people talk about losing Murrays blocking. This could be me trying to rationalize losing him, but I remember more than a few times where Murray either was standing there missing a blocking assignment or completely whiffed on someone.

Everyone misses from time to time when you don't know who and how many guys are coming or where they are coming from. Murray was great in pass protection IMO.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean fall into place like:
- Your running game being able to hide what is one of the worst D's in the league for almost the entire season.
- Tony Romo having the best season of his career BY FAR (there isn't even a close 2nd) despite him undergoing major back surgery the offseason before.
- Being able to generate turnovers despite not having a pass rush.

This is the new NFL. The difference between 12-4 and 8-8 isn't all that much anymore.

Dallas is almost assuredly going to get a slightly dip in running production without Murray. That is going to mean Tony has to throw more and you are going to see a dip in his efficiency. The dip in offensive efficiency is going to expose the defense more.

Last year everything snowballed in favor of the Cowboys....this year I think it snowballs the opposite way. And as RW said above, expectations changes things.

Two years ago they were 8-8. Last year they were 12-4. I think they go back to the 8-8 team we saw the year before. I don't think that is such an absurd assumption considering they have much of the same roster from that time and not a lot of positive roster improvement since then.

Obviously any QB can be done tomorrow....but we all know that Romo with his back and everything else is a lot closer to the end than most QB's in this league.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee is definitely due for some good health going his way. It will be interesting to see how McFadden does running behind an offensive line that is not a sieve. Sounds like it's his job to lose to start. Following UConn I really like the Byron Jones pick.

Not sure about that. I'm not saying he keeps it, but I think Randle starts camp on top of the depth chart in the team's eyes

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought the same thing about DMac. I heard someone talking about Ryan Williams contract though. I thought they said he was making more and had more years, a guaranteed contract which they thought was weird for a 4th string RB and scout team player. The rumor was that he was going to be the #2 guy behind Randall unless DMac just blows the doors off.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, I'm no expert and I thought the worst. I didn't see any way we got better after the departures and then Lee going down as well. I thought we were in for all sorts of new records in futility.

I am not a homer to think our defense will never regress. But I see enough things addressed that I don't immediately think we are going to revert back to the worst defense in the league like we were 2 years ago.
I called 6-10 lol

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean fall into place like:
- Your running game being able to hide what is one of the worst D's in the league for almost the entire season.
- Tony Romo having the best season of his career BY FAR (there isn't even a close 2nd) despite him undergoing major back surgery the offseason before.
- Being able to generate turnovers despite not having a pass rush.

This is the new NFL. The difference between 12-4 and 8-8 isn't all that much anymore.

Dallas is almost assuredly going to get a slightly dip in running production without Murray. That is going to mean Tony has to throw more and you are going to see a dip in his efficiency. The dip in offensive efficiency is going to expose the defense more.

Last year everything snowballed in favor of the Cowboys....this year I think it snowballs the opposite way. And as RW said above, expectations changes things.

Two years ago they were 8-8. Last year they were 12-4. I think they go back to the 8-8 team we saw the year before. I don't think that is such an absurd assumption considering they have much of the same roster from that time and not a lot of positive roster improvement since then.

Obviously any QB can be done tomorrow....but we all know that Romo with his back and everything else is a lot closer to the end than most QB's in this league.

Tell that to people like Joe Theismann, Bo Jackson, Michael Irvin, or Brady if he takes another low shot. I believe older QB's like Brady/Brees/Romo/Palmer are an ACL away from retirement. There is no such thing as "closer to the end" in this league. You could be a rookie making your first start, and just the right hit could end your career.

As for the rest of your post, the only thing missing now is the "dreaded first place schedule" comment. :drama: