• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16: The Dallas Cowboys Thread

How Far Will the Dallas Cowboys Go in 2015?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the same thing about DMac. I heard someone talking about Ryan Williams contract though. I thought they said he was making more and had more years, a guaranteed contract which they thought was weird for a 4th string RB and scout team player. The rumor was that he was going to be the #2 guy behind Randall unless DMac just blows the doors off.

It's going to be interesting to see what the rotation will be in the exhibition games. Randle sounds confident after he made that comment about Demarco leaving meat on the bone last season. If McFadden ever hoped to right his career this is a great opportunity for him.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean fall into place like:
- Your running game being able to hide what is one of the worst D's in the league for almost the entire season.
- Tony Romo having the best season of his career BY FAR (there isn't even a close 2nd) despite him undergoing major back surgery the offseason before.
- Being able to generate turnovers despite not having a pass rush.

This is the new NFL. The difference between 12-4 and 8-8 isn't all that much anymore.

Dallas is almost assuredly going to get a slightly dip in running production without Murray. That is going to mean Tony has to throw more and you are going to see a dip in his efficiency. The dip in offensive efficiency is going to expose the defense more.

Last year everything snowballed in favor of the Cowboys....this year I think it snowballs the opposite way. And as RW said above, expectations changes things.

Two years ago they were 8-8. Last year they were 12-4. I think they go back to the 8-8 team we saw the year before. I don't think that is such an absurd assumption considering they have much of the same roster from that time and not a lot of positive roster improvement since then.

Obviously any QB can be done tomorrow....but we all know that Romo with his back and everything else is a lot closer to the end than most QB's in this league.

A lot here, but:
- So spending years to put together a top OL and running game is deemed for one year as "falling into place" like it was luck? They made a conscious effort to improve the run game and run the ball more and that will continue with or without Murray.
- The D was absolutely not one of the worst in the league for almost an entire season. Did you watch them?
- It was not Romo's best year "BY FAR"
- The defense they play is supposed to generate turnovers. It gives up more yards, but gets you turnovers as a trade off. They probably practice stripping the ball more than any other team.
- agree on 12-4 versus 8-8 being closer than it's perceived
- The running game won't likely be as good, but they will still run it as much and saying Romo's efficiency will dip is just opinion. He's usually around the top of the league. Isn't he pone of the all time leaders in efficiency? That's not just based on last year.
- Everything did NOT snowball in their favor at all last year and saying this year it won't go their way is based on nothing other than trying to prove your argument. You are taking the stance they won't get breaks? That isn't something you can predict and it didn't happen last year to say they are due for the opposite.
- This team has slowly gotten younger and tougher and more competitive. They are light years better than they were a couple of years ago and I'd be saying that even if they finished 8-8 last year. This team now knows how to finish out games and plays to win instead of waiting to lose.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still not sure how objective you're being regarding this. Their first round pick was a cornerback, they added a guy many thought was a top 10 talent to the pass rush, they added an all world pass rusher in Greg Hardy, they'll have Demarcus Lawrence for a full season as well as getting Sean Lee back. How do you figure a defense that was middle of the pack last year and has had an influx of talent will fall to a bottom 5 team?

I always assume a rookie won't positively contribute. It's a pretty safe assumption.

People often over-estimate the impact a rookie class has on a team. They'll point to how 4 rookies played X many games and produced X tackles, X sacks, ect, ect. But more often than not they could have gotten really similar production from a bunch of street FA's in year one if they would have just stuck them into the the lineup for that many games.

Obviously some rookies will be big time additions right out of the gate. But picking which team is going to get that type of production right away is like picking a number on the roulette table.

I think their defense was already bottom 5 last year....they just got really lucky (and playing against the offensively challenged NFCW and AFCS helped too) and produced better than they really are. I think they regress big time this year.

Hardy is the one key for me. If I knew how many games he was going to play and know how he was going to look after a year off, I might change my estimate some. He needs to be huge for them. They were one of the worst teams at getting after the QB last year in the league and will likely be the same if he isn't a stud for them.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the same thing about DMac. I heard someone talking about Ryan Williams contract though. I thought they said he was making more and had more years, a guaranteed contract which they thought was weird for a 4th string RB and scout team player. The rumor was that he was going to be the #2 guy behind Randall unless DMac just blows the doors off.

Williams received more guaranteed money than DMac (neither received much). Other than that DMac's contract was much bigger.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always assume a rookie won't positively contribute. It's a pretty safe assumption.

I tend to agree. I think draft picks need time to adjust. But some will contribute right away and if you brought in 3 first round talent guys isn't it safe to assume at least one contributes?

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I called 6-10 lol

That's what I mean. No one thought this team was any good a year ago. You Cowboy fan's had to be a pretty depressed group heading into last year.

As it turns out your depression was a little unwarranted. But IMO your enthusiasm in thinking this is one of the better teams in the league heading into this coming season is just as unwarranted.

This still is more or less the same team that was 8-8, and a really ugly 8-8 at that, two years ago.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be interesting to see what the rotation will be in the exhibition games. Randle sounds confident after he made that comment about Demarco leaving meat on the bone last season. If McFadden ever hoped to right his career this is a great opportunity for him.

Haha, yeah he sounds confident.

People often over-estimate the impact a rookie class has on a team. They'll point to how 4 rookies played X many games and produced X tackles, X sacks, ect, ect. But more often than not they could have gotten really similar production from a bunch of street FA's in year one if they would have just stuck them into the the lineup for that many games.

Obviously some rookies will be big time additions right out of the gate. But picking which team is going to get that type of production right away is like picking a number on the roulette table.

I think their defense was already bottom 5 last year....they just got really lucky (and playing against the offensively challenged NFCW and AFCS helped too) and produced better than they really are. I think they regress big time this year.

Hardy is the one key for me. If I knew how many games he was going to play and know how he was going to look after a year off, I might change my estimate some. He needs to be huge for them. They were one of the worst teams at getting after the QB last year in the league and will likely be the same if he isn't a stud for them.

really lucky? Your opinion and opinions can't be wrong. I just disagree with you. Dallas is counting on exactly two rookies to be contributors..Gregory a little and Jones quite a bit. It isn't like either of them can do worse than the guy they are replacing, as you have repeatedly pointed out. So even if they don't set the league on fire, all we need is for them to be bodies on the field and learning. We aren't trying to replace an all-pro with a rookie in either situation.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Demarcus Lawrence missed a lot of the season but came on strong in the playoffs. He'll make a big jump up this year and will be a big factor in the pass rush.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I mean. No one thought this team was any good a year ago. You Cowboy fan's had to be a pretty depressed group heading into last year.

As it turns out your depression was a little unwarranted. But IMO your enthusiasm in thinking this is one of the better teams in the league heading into this coming season is just as unwarranted.

This still is more or less the same team that was 8-8, and a really ugly 8-8 at that, two years ago.

We actually have a lot of parts different from the 8-8 team. We are more like the 12-4 team than we are the 8-8 team :)

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really lucky? Your opinion and opinions can't be wrong. I just disagree with you.

And you should probably.

It's June. Every team's fans expectations should be sky high in June.

But I have always said that the worst person to listen to in terms of projecting an NFL team's and player's success is a fan of that team before the season starts.

Right now in my head Adrian Peterson is running for 2500 yards, Teddy B has a Russell Wilson like 2nd season and Zimmer coaches our D to a top 10 unit. I know in part of my head that isn't going to happen...but for some reason another part of my head keeps on playing video of exactly that.

And I have been wrong before about teams (also been right on a couple of occasions too ; ) ) and yes this is just my opinion.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you should probably.

It's June. Every team's fans expectations should be sky high in June.

But I have always said that the worst person to listen to in terms of projecting an NFL team's and player's success is a fan of that team before the season starts.

Right now in my head Adrian Peterson is running for 2500 yards, Teddy B has a Russell Wilson like 2nd season and Zimmer coaches our D to a top 10 unit. I know in part of my head that isn't going to happen...but for some reason another part of my head keeps on playing video of exactly that.

And I have been wrong before about teams (also been right on a couple of occasions too ; ) ) and yes this is just my opinion.

Zimmer is a good coach. I wouldn't lose faith in him. He'll get it turned around.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a lot going on in Dallas. Some good and some that could go really bad. It all depends how you look at it. Such as with the pass rush having Lawrence, Greg Hardy, and Randy Gregory that could be a very good unit. At the same time there is a lot of potential for chaos as well with suspensions, injuries, and so much more.

Lockerroom wise is where I worry about the Cowboys. They have taken on some of the bigger personality players at this time. If they can keep that in control then I could see huge things for the Cowboys. They definitely have the pieces to compete with any team in the league. The coaching staff though and how they handle all of this will go a long ways into them either being a huge success or completely being destroyed from the inside.

I would also say they have taken on some guys with some major red flags in the injury department. Sean Lee when healthy is one of the best in the league at his position. Can he stay healthy though? Romo is in that same boat. When healthy he is a top-5 QB in this league. McFadden could have a break out year but he is also one that could get injured week one and be on the bench most of the season. Hard to tell which way this team is going to go. It would surprise me one bit to see them picking top-10 but it wouldn't surprise me to see them finish as one of the top teams in the league.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a lot going on in Dallas. Some good and some that could go really bad. It all depends how you look at it. Such as with the pass rush having Lawrence, Greg Hardy, and Randy Gregory that could be a very good unit. At the same time there is a lot of potential for chaos as well with suspensions, injuries, and so much more.

Lockerroom wise is where I worry about the Cowboys. They have taken on some of the bigger personality players at this time. If they can keep that in control then I could see huge things for the Cowboys. They definitely have the pieces to compete with any team in the league. The coaching staff though and how they handle all of this will go a long ways into them either being a huge success or completely being destroyed from the inside.

I would also say they have taken on some guys with some major red flags in the injury department. Sean Lee when healthy is one of the best in the league at his position. Can he stay healthy though? Romo is in that same boat. When healthy he is a top-5 QB in this league. McFadden could have a break out year but he is also one that could get injured week one and be on the bench most of the season. Hard to tell which way this team is going to go. It would surprise me one bit to see them picking top-10 but it wouldn't surprise me to see them finish as one of the top teams in the league.

In the past they were a bit of a mess in the locker room but they have it under control now with Witten, Dez and Romo leading the way.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the past they were a bit of a mess in the locker room but they have it under control now with Witten, Dez and Romo leading the way.

My issue though is they brought in a lot of players with some major baggage this year. This becomes two-fold in it is easier for one of them to lead a player towards bad than for the good players to lead the bad towards good. This has always been true. Doesn't mean it will happen but there is potential for it to happen. Suspensions also become a huge concern. Can Gregory stay clean for an entire year? I have my doubts.

The other part of that is now every player is going to get asked questions about playing with these guys. It happens with every polarizing player. Teammates get tired of it and it can easily divide a lockerroom. I saw it with the Broncos when they had Tebow in it didn't happen year one but I think if he had started in 2012 you would have saw the Broncos completely implode as players were tired of everything being about one player.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good post...very hard to tell where this team ends up but it's that coaching staff and what they seem to get outta their players of late that has this homer thinking SB contenders... and not just playoff contenders.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue though is they brought in a lot of players with some major baggage this year. This becomes two-fold in it is easier for one of them to lead a player towards bad than for the good players to lead the bad towards good. This has always been true. Doesn't mean it will happen but there is potential for it to happen. Suspensions also become a huge concern. Can Gregory stay clean for an entire year? I have my doubts.

The other part of that is now every player is going to get asked questions about playing with these guys. It happens with every polarizing player. Teammates get tired of it and it can easily divide a lockerroom. I saw it with the Broncos when they had Tebow in it didn't happen year one but I think if he had started in 2012 you would have saw the Broncos completely implode as players were tired of everything being about one player.
with all due respect....Tebow is not a good example to Gregory and dividing a locker room

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with all due respect....Tebow is not a good example to Gregory and dividing a locker room

I was more speaking towards Hardy being the divider. I don't see them asking many questions about Gregory where I'm sure teammates will get plenty of questions about Hardy. I honestly do expect big things from the Cowboys this year. Usually a lockerroom with that much personality can pull it together the first year. Most everybody is on their best behavior. It is that 2nd and 3rd year where the problems can show up.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a whole lot tends to change in the NFL every two to three years.

Nothing compares to Tebow is my point and Dallas is good with Marinelli leading the defense. Rod was a miracle working last year and it seems all those guys on that side of the ball have bought in

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously Hardy is a despicable person but is he a bad teammate? I'm not sure I've heard anything about him being a cancer in the locker room and if he comes in and plays well I think that storm probably passes pretty quickly (much like when Michael Vick first went to the Eagles).

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously Hardy is a despicable person but is he a bad teammate? I'm not sure I've heard anything about him being a cancer in the locker room and if he comes in and plays well I think that storm probably passes pretty quickly (much like when Michael Vick first went to the Eagles).

I'm thinking more teammates get tired of answering questions that only pertain to one player and nothing really to do with play on the field. Again more my concern is not for this year but for next with having a lot of personality in that lockerroom. It can definitely be a good thing as the players can feed off each other in a positive way but it can also feed negatively as well. Again I expect Dallas to win the division and be a huge player in the playoffs this year.