• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Green Bay Packers Thread

How Far Will the Green Bay Packers Go in 2014?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As explained in the Team-by-Team Thread, I am planning on making a thread every three days for a different team. The first few posts will be questions, requests for predictions, etc. There will be a poll unless I don't feel like making one. Some teams are less interesting than others.Please participate in posting articles, predictions, etc.

So far:

The Seattle Seahawks Thread - SB Winner

The Denver Broncos Thread - Lost to SB Winner

The San Francisco 49ers Thread - Lost to SB Winner.

The New England Patriots Thread - Lost to SB Runnerup

The New Orleans Saints Thread - Lost to SB Winner

The San Diego Chargers Thread - Lost to SB Runnerup

The Carolina Panthers Thread - Lost to NFCC Runnerup

The Indianapolis Colts Thread - Lost to the AFCC Runnerup.

The Green Bay Packers Thread - Lost to the NFCC Runnerup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This question really boils down to how good you think their defense is

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This question really boils down to how good you think their defense is

Without a doubt the defense is the question. I honestly think Green Bay is going to be a very tough opponent since I personally feel they've addressed the running game and the defensive woes over the last two drafts , plus they have had some key injuries the last few seasons. I see them being in the Super Bowl mix for certain. Time will tell. Makes me sick to hear that we've lost Johnathon Franklin, I really thought the kid was going to have a good career.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injuries have been the biggest problem on defense. For once can we have a healthy year?

Desean12345

#What is Hashtag?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as Rodgers is healthy, the Pack will always be super bowl contenders.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFC is so hard to predict this year. The AFC at least at this time looks like there are maybe 3 main teams in the race but in the NFC I could see 2 teams from every division except the NFC East standing a good chance of competing for a Super Bowl. It really will come down to who has the bigger injuries at the wrong time and a few lucky bounces in my opinion. Right now I would say Green Bay has a very good chance of being the team representing the NFC in the Super Bowl. I picked them to lose in the divisional round though just because I don't trust them to stay healthy for any length of time.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injuries have been the biggest problem on defense. For once can we have a healthy year?
This is why I voted that they lose in the playoffs but I feel they will win the division. I would need to see improvement in the D. They are close and will be close to winning to a while to this decade but the D needs to improve and get healthy.

Desean12345

#What is Hashtag?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I voted that they lose in the playoffs but I feel they will win the division. I would need to see improvement in the D. They are close and will be close to winning to a while to this decade but the D needs to improve and get healthy.

The d simply needs to be average. It doesn't need to be great. Rodger's has already proven he can win in the postseason with an average to below average defense.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The d simply needs to be average. It doesn't need to be great. Rodger's has already proven he can win in the postseason with an average to below average defense.

That SB defense was really, really good. Outside of that, "he's" proven that he can beat the Vikings in the postseason with an average to below average defense.

Desean12345

#What is Hashtag?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That SB defense was really, really good. Outside of that, "he's" proven that he can beat the Vikings in the postseason with an average to below average defense.

And he won a super bowl that year. Like i said the defense just needs to be average. He there for 400 yes completed 66% of his passes had 5 total td's and his team scored 45 points and he still lost a PO game. All of his playoff losses have been on the defense. That's irrefutable.

Desean12345

#What is Hashtag?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And make no mistake about it. They won a super bowl because of Aaron Rodgers not their defense. This wasn't Tom Brady his first super bowl ring with one td pass the whole postseason. He had 9 passing td's 2 running td's and 3 road playoff wins.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And make no mistake about it. They won a super bowl because of Aaron Rodgers not their defense. This wasn't Tom Brady his first super bowl ring with one td pass the whole postseason. He had 9 passing td's 2 running td's and 3 road playoff wins.

For sure, he was MVP of that postseason. But that was an excellent playmaking defense, far from average.

Desean12345

#What is Hashtag?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure, he was MVP of that postseason. But that was an excellent playmaking defense, far from average.

It was a very good defense. But other than that season, the Packers have have had an awful defense. He's hd to overcome way to much. If they defense just mildly improves, the Packer's can win the super bowl.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed

It was a very good defense. But other than that season, the Packers have have had an awful defense. He's hd to overcome way to much. If they defense just mildly improves, the Packer's can win the super bowl.

Ditto

Personally, I look for a breakout year from Datone Jones and significant contribution from Clinton-Dix. Throwing Peppers into the mix and getting a healthy Matthews back should improve the D dramatically.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed

Ditto

Personally, I look for a breakout year from Datone Jones and significant contribution from Clinton-Dix. Throwing Peppers into the mix and getting a healthy Matthews back should improve the D dramatically.

Hasn't the offensive line been an issue the past couple of years with injuries?

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hasn't the offensive line been an issue the past couple of years with injuries?

The only health issue has been Bulaga. The C position has been a revolving door which should be settled for the next couple of years this offseason.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Win the superbowl, because that's what I want to happen :) and I think they have as good of a shot as anybody right now. Odds are against every team, but I think there are about 5 with a pretty good chance and GB is one of them. Can probably figure 8-10 if certain things start to line up as the season goes along which with a season this long and physical lots changes between now and Jan/Feb.

My reasoning for GB, Their offense is as good as anybody's. I think they'll have one of the highest scoring offenses in the league this year. I do think their offensive line has been an issue in the past. I'm not sold it's "fixed" by any means either.

They've addressed it quite a bit, but either players show they can't play, or they've been hurt. I think Rodgers has made them look better than they were for a while and then last year we finally got a real NFL quality running back, and that helped their confidence. Besides Sitton, i'm not sure I'd want any of those guys starting. Back ups sure, but starters across the line? BakT showed good stuff for a rookie, but he must improve for me to be happy about him starting at LT protecting Rodgers. I like him, his attitude, and his performance, for a rookie. our RT was serviceable, should be upgraded. Our center I thought was a puffball and we haven't had a decent one since Wells left.

The coaches seem high on who we have, but until we see them, I have no idea. One guy got hurt in TC last year and never played a down, and the other guy competing for the position is a rookie from OH state. so 2 guys that have never played in the NFL. I'd say they have competition, I'm not sold that the position is taken care of either.

But we should also get 2 first round OL talents back from injury this year, maybe we'll see more from them, maybe not. They've both been our with injury more than they've been in.

But like I said, Rodgers, the running game, and our quality WR's make that offense go anyway. They've done more with worse on the OL I think. I don't see this year being any different.

On the defensive side, i know they get a ton of criticism, and they've earned it. But I think they learned valuable lessons too. From the coaches to the players. I know injuries are an issue for everyone and I think GB felt they could coach up any player to fit their scheme that had to step in. IT became painfully obvious that not all players could grasp the concepts.

GB had the players to win on defense, even with injuries. But there were always breakdowns, always. they'd get teams into 3rd and 6, 8, 15's quite often and there would always be a breakdown in the defense and someone running wide open. the two safeties would be looking at each other like" I thought you had him" or 3 db's in one area, and the middle of the field wide open for another conversion. I sucked to watch.

By the end of the year, i think they finally figured that they just needed to simplify and get rid of those communication breakdowns and let them pick a spot or a man and beat them. And they did fairly well, but by that point they were running on fumes. When you have injured undrafted rookie DLinemen playin at a linebacking position just so we can have bodies on the field, it never bodes well. and any team that loses a player like Matthews is going to see a decline on that side of the ball.

This year we get him back. I like Peppers. I don't think he's an every down beast, but he's talented and athletic enough to disrupt things on more than a situational level. I think Mike Daniels is really coming into his own on the DL. Raji is moving back to NT where he was pretty good before moving to DT. Heyward is back, Hyde played well for a rookie and appears to have the attitude and work ethic to make a big step forward his 2nd year.

Anyway, i'm not going to break down every player, but I do think they have more than enough talent to be a top 10 defense. I think the coaches on that side learned that when chips are stacked against you, it doesn't pay to get too creative to make things happen, just put them in a position to beat their man.

So, my homer pick is superbowl victory

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Win the superbowl, because that's what I want to happen :) and I think they have as good of a shot as anybody right now. Odds are against every team, but I think there are about 5 with a pretty good chance and GB is one of them. Can probably figure 8-10 if certain things start to line up as the season goes along which with a season this long and physical lots changes between now and Jan/Feb.

My reasoning for GB, Their offense is as good as anybody's. I think they'll have one of the highest scoring offenses in the league this year. I do think their offensive line has been an issue in the past. I'm not sold it's "fixed" by any means either.

They've addressed it quite a bit, but either players show they can't play, or they've been hurt. I think Rodgers has made them look better than they were for a while and then last year we finally got a real NFL quality running back, and that helped their confidence. Besides Sitton, i'm not sure I'd want any of those guys starting. Back ups sure, but starters across the line? BakT showed good stuff for a rookie, but he must improve for me to be happy about him starting at LT protecting Rodgers. I like him, his attitude, and his performance, for a rookie. our RT was serviceable, should be upgraded. Our center I thought was a puffball and we haven't had a decent one since Wells left.

The coaches seem high on who we have, but until we see them, I have no idea. One guy got hurt in TC last year and never played a down, and the other guy competing for the position is a rookie from OH state. so 2 guys that have never played in the NFL. I'd say they have competition, I'm not sold that the position is taken care of either.

But we should also get 2 first round OL talents back from injury this year, maybe we'll see more from them, maybe not. They've both been our with injury more than they've been in.

But like I said, Rodgers, the running game, and our quality WR's make that offense go anyway. They've done more with worse on the OL I think. I don't see this year being any different.

On the defensive side, i know they get a ton of criticism, and they've earned it. But I think they learned valuable lessons too. From the coaches to the players. I know injuries are an issue for everyone and I think GB felt they could coach up any player to fit their scheme that had to step in. IT became painfully obvious that not all players could grasp the concepts.

GB had the players to win on defense, even with injuries. But there were always breakdowns, always. they'd get teams into 3rd and 6, 8, 15's quite often and there would always be a breakdown in the defense and someone running wide open. the two safeties would be looking at each other like" I thought you had him" or 3 db's in one area, and the middle of the field wide open for another conversion. I sucked to watch.

By the end of the year, i think they finally figured that they just needed to simplify and get rid of those communication breakdowns and let them pick a spot or a man and beat them. And they did fairly well, but by that point they were running on fumes. When you have injured undrafted rookie DLinemen playin at a linebacking position just so we can have bodies on the field, it never bodes well. and any team that loses a player like Matthews is going to see a decline on that side of the ball.

This year we get him back. I like Peppers. I don't think he's an every down beast, but he's talented and athletic enough to disrupt things on more than a situational level. I think Mike Daniels is really coming into his own on the DL. Raji is moving back to NT where he was pretty good before moving to DT. Heyward is back, Hyde played well for a rookie and appears to have the attitude and work ethic to make a big step forward his 2nd year.

Anyway, i'm not going to break down every player, but I do think they have more than enough talent to be a top 10 defense. I think the coaches on that side learned that when chips are stacked against you, it doesn't pay to get too creative to make things happen, just put them in a position to beat their man.

So, my homer pick is superbowl victory

I think Green Bay will definitely be one of the teams in the NFC battling for it... BUT to get to the Super Bowl there defense is gonna have to be VASTLY improved from last year... That's the one big issue that might hold your Packers back... I love Rodgers he's a gamer but I just don't know if that D is gonna be good enough to beat all the top dogs in the NFC...

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as Rodgers is healthy, the Pack will always be super bowl contenders.

No, not really. He was healthy in 2011 and 2012 and the Pack were one and done both years. I think what you meant to say was if Rodgers is healthy, they have some weapons on offense, and the Packers have an average defense then they are SB contenders... Which is still really scary.