• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Lakers Vs Grizzlies Mar 06, 2015

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least we don't have to deal with the posters who don't watch the games but show up just to complain when the Lakers manage to win a game.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first step to instilling a winning attitude is to get the team to play hard from the opening tip to the final buzzer. I think it's safe to say, Byron has been successful in that regard. No matter how far behind these guys get, no matter who the opponent is, they just keep coming at you. Which is great to see.

The next step is execution down the stretch and closing out games. This is where the next improvement needs to come from. This means they need a closer. That's where the FO needs to step up in free agency or the draft. It's also possible that Clarkson could eventually be that guy. He seems unafraid of taking shots and attempting to make plays late in games. It's possible that he could develop into that player. Anyone else remember Kobe shooting something like 4 airballs in a playoff game vs. the Jazz? These early failures may lead to future success for Clarkson.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first step to instilling a winning attitude is to get the team to play hard from the opening tip to the final buzzer. I think it's safe to say, Byron has been successful in that regard. No matter how far behind these guys get, no matter who the opponent is, they just keep coming at you. Which is great to see.

The next step is execution down the stretch and closing out games. This is where the next improvement needs to come from. This means they need a closer. That's where the FO needs to step up in free agency or the draft. It's also possible that Clarkson could eventually be that guy. He seems unafraid of taking shots and attempting to make plays late in games. It's possible that he could develop into that player. Anyone else remember Kobe shooting something like 4 airballs in a playoff game vs. the Jazz? These early failures may lead to future success for Clarkson.

I agree on Clarkson being that guy, I really like what I've seen from him since he's stepped into the starting lineup with Kobe out.

Keep Ellington also. He'd be a really solid guy off the bench if we can flip Young for a draft pick this offseason.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on Clarkson being that guy, I really like what I've seen from him since he's stepped into the starting lineup with Kobe out.

Keep Ellington also. He'd be a really solid guy off the bench if we can flip Young for a draft pick this offseason.

I don't know if you saw AccessSportsnet: Lakers after the game last night, but I agree 100% with James Worthy and Antwan Jamison re: Nick Young.

They were basically saying that Swaggy P is at a crossroads in his career and he needs to decide who he wants to be. They said that the Lakers would like to keep him and he'd like to stay, but he needs to make a decision. Does he want to continue to be what he's been for his whole career so far, which is a pretty good player on bad teams? Or does he want to do the work and become a good player on a contending team.

Imo, if he's willing to put in the work to go to the next level, then the Lakers should keep him. If not, then they should get rid of him, even if it means just cutting him.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

But, cutting him? That's wasted $. I think they could find somebody willing to take him on (that has the cap space, he only makes around the MLE) and offer a 1st rounder in the mid to 20's.

All jokes aside, he's a solid scorer on the 2nd unit. Instant offense kind of like Crawford, etc.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we trade him for just a draft pick, that brings us down to just under 31 million in salary on the books for next season. Not counting what we pay the 1st rounder.

And I wouldn't keep Hill since we have a team option. Not for what he has produced at 9 million. And I like what he has done, but not at that price tag.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

But, cutting him? That's wasted $. I think they could find somebody willing to take him on (that has the cap space, he only makes around the MLE) and offer a 1st rounder in the mid to 20's.

All jokes aside, he's a solid scorer on the 2nd unit. Instant offense kind of like Crawford, etc.

Don't get me wrong. If they look to move him, I think the Lakers should try to get something for him and I think they should be able to. If nothing else, he is fun to watch and that will have value for a bad team looking for a player that fans will like.

But the point is, if he isn't going to do what is necessary to elevate his game and help the team get where Byron is trying to take them, then it's better to cut him loose for nothing.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we trade him for just a draft pick, that brings us down to just under 31 million in salary on the books for next season. Not counting what we pay the 1st rounder.

And I wouldn't keep Hill since we have a team option. Not for what he has produced at 9 million. And I like what he has done, but not at that price tag.

I'm on the fence with Hill. I think the Lakers see him as insurance. If they land a big in FA or the draft, Hill becomes expendable and could bring a nice return or cap space. If they don't land a big, then they keep him for at least another season since he is a serviceable big.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they can find a good team that wants to strengthen their bench scoring and offer a mid to late 1st rounder for Swaggy. His contract is workable under the salary cap if they have space.

At worst dump him for an early 2nd rounder and we can go into the draft with like 5 selections.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on the fence with Hill. I think the Lakers see him as insurance. If they land a big in FA or the draft, Hill becomes expendable and could bring a nice return or cap space. If they don't land a big, then they keep him for at least another season since he is a serviceable big.

True, I hadn't thought of that. His price tag just scares me, I thought they could have signed him for 5-6 million per season based off last season's production.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those airballs we're horrible. :L

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think OKC would use Swag's skill set coming off the bench especially in the playoffs.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Nick Young keeps shooting 36% then I could definitely see him get cut. We saw Josh Smith get cut in this very season and he puts up better numbers than Nick.

Think about that for a second, Josh Smith in Detroit was playing better than Nick Young this year.