• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Athletics Summer Power Rankings

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are more questions and intrigue going into next season than we've had in the recent past, but it simply isn't true that there are upwards of 12 teams that have "decent" chances...

I see 4-5 teams in the mix, with the Clippers as the leader of the group.

Teams like Houston and Denver... they are gonna win games during the regular season, but come playoff time I just don't see them as being able to beat a team like the Clippers in a 7 game series.

1.) Clippers
2a.) Philly
2b.) Milwaukee
2c.) Lakers
2d.) Utah

I would add Denver and maaayybe Portland to the mix but you're right there's not 12 teams with a shot

Still as you said, very intriguing for a change

I'd add the Rockets on the off chance that Westbrook and Harden can figure out a way to co-exist that each can live with.

Also the Celtics if they can get back to what worked for them when they went to the ECF.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also the Celtics if they can get back to what worked for them when they went to the ECF.
You're sweet, but the C's are not title contenders... they're young, with questionable depth and questionable bigs.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're sweet, but the C's are not title contenders... they're young, with questionable depth and questionable bigs.

I could see Kemba really doing well in Boston and Brown and Tatum taking a step up. But that front court is going to be really tough to overcome.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They were young when they went to the ECF.

But yeah, that's why I put them in kind of the 2nd tier with the caveat that they have to get back to what worked for them then.

I don't know if they can, because I think Big Al had a lot to do with it and he's gone. But I'm not ruling it out. Especially if they can make a move to get more depth and/or better bigs.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends, imo.

If they are ranking teams in terms of where they will finish the regular season, then yes, the Clippers are ranked too high. They'll likely have Kawhi sitting out for at least 20 games for "load management" and they'll probably sit PG some too.

But if they're ranking according to who's likely to win the title, there's a strong argument for the Clips to be #1.
Yup.

There are teams with a better, or similar talent level, 1, 2 punch as the Clippers.

Lakers, Brooklyn better.

Dubs, Philly, Houston similar.

How they fit will determine rankings.

BUT, On paper, Clippers have the best roster 1 thru 10.

*Philly the best starting 5 *

Sadly, the game is not played on paper.

I'm more worried about George than Kawhi.

Dude has 2 bad shoulders.

I think they finish top 4 out West.

But, I highly doubt they finish 1st.

Denver, Utah, Portland, Rockets are strong regular Season teams.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were young when they went to the ECF.

But yeah, that's why I put them in kind of the 2nd tier with the caveat that they have to get back to what worked for them then.

I don't know if they can, because I think Big Al had a lot to do with it and he's gone. But I'm not ruling it out. Especially if they can make a move to get more depth and/or better bigs.
You know I'd love to share in any degree of optimism about the Celtics chances at the top prize... but the Eastern Conference was weaker then. Either of today's Philly or Milwaukee would beat down any team from 2 years ago.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hornets too high....
Bullsh!t.

Scary Terry gonna put them on his back... Frank Kaminsky is ready to BUST OUT... championshipS on the way.

:rockon:

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup.

There are teams with a better, or similar talent level, 1, 2 punch as the Clippers.

Lakers, Brooklyn better.

Dubs, Philly, Houston similar.

How they fit will determine rankings.

BUT, On paper, Clippers have the best roster 1 thru 10.

*Philly the best starting 5 *

Sadly, the game is not played on paper.

I'm more worried about George than Kawhi.

Dude has 2 bad shoulders.

I think they finish top 4 out West.

But, I highly doubt they finish 1st.

Denver, Utah, Portland, Rockets are strong regular Season teams.

STILL not buying the Rockets because of the 2 Superstar ballhogs, but we'll see...

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  1. Miami Heat (Previously 18th)
I can’t tell if this feels too low for Miami or if this feels just right. Upgrading to Jimmy Butler when they didn’t have the cap space to acquire him is pretty remarkable. They might still have another move in them to acquire Chris Paul from OKC. While acquiring CP3’s contract looks like a bad gamble and allocation of money, they’d still be acquiring a very good point guard for next season. That’s pretty important. Miami feels like health kept them from being a playoff team. They also feel like the subtraction of Hassan Whiteside will be a huge boost for them on and off the court.

They just need to figure out what they can get from the complementary parts to Butler. Dion Waiters is in shape. If he remains on the team, will he have the right attitude to be a Sixth Man type of weapon the Heat can rely on? Was Justise Winslow’s progression as a playmaker a glimpse into the future? Can Bam Adebayo handle full-time starting center duties? Do the Heat have enough shooting on this roster? They’re definitely in a better, more focused place than they were a year ago. Their cap situation is looking better, unless they acquire CP3. Erik Spoelstra is an excellent coach and he has a real weapon to gameplan around this season. It’s possible they challenge for a top 4 seed in the East.
"They also feel like the subtraction of Hassan Whiteside will be a huge boost for them on and off the court."

:pound::suds:

lets put that in the "No Shit Sherlock" category of statements.

#timevindicates

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  1. Cleveland Cavaliers (previously 29th)
One more expensive season for Cleveland and then the Cavaliers get to really enjoy some flexibility. Kevin Love is locked in for four more years at a big price tag. They can start shopping him aggressively at some point, but it might make more sense to move him next summer when the free agent class is kind of weak. You can create a better demand for him then. After that, they’ve got a significant number of good sized contracts coming off the books in 2020. Tristan Thompson ($18.5M), JR Smith ($4.4M), Brandon Knight ($15.6M), Jordan Clarks0n ($13.4M), John Henson ($9.7M), and Matthew Dellavedova ($9.6M) all have expiring contracts this coming season. That’s $71.5 million in expiring deals for a bunch of veterans who could help a contender and Jordan Clarkson that Koby Altman can deal this season.

The Cavs were already the most trade happy, active team last season. I’d expect much of the same as they try to get more and more draft picks on their side. The young core looks really solid too. Darius Garland, Collin Sexton, Cedi Osman, Dylan Windler, and Kevin Porter Jr can all have some time to develop under John Beilein. Altman has done a really good job in a pretty bad situation (when he took over) to give Cavs fans hope. That’s something they haven’t had in a really long time when LeBron James isn’t involved.
tons of useful players on expiring deals, extra draft picks, 3 first round players to add to the mix.

Cavs are once again laying the foundation in a smart, sensible way.

Beilein is a great choice to shepard the Cavs through this rebuild and develop these young guys. The offense is going to be fun to watch.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tons of useful players on expiring deals, extra draft picks, 3 first round players to add to the mix.

Cavs are once again laying the foundation in a smart, sensible way.

Beilein is a great choice to shepard the Cavs through this rebuild and develop these young guys. The offense is going to be fun to watch.

Well all you need is to hit 2 or 3 No 1 overall picks again and you can be contendahs!

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well all you need is to hit 2 or 3 No 1 overall picks again and you can be contendahs!
id be happy if they can just get 1 big time player in the draft

you your draft assets/young players/cap space to try and add another at some point and then go from there. But they arent at that point yet