• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Go Gettem Chip!!!

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone believes that Mariota is on the same level as Andrew Luck, eaglesnut. No one.

The point some are making, which I agree with, is that MM may be the ideal QB to run Chip's system. So from Chip's standpoint, he is worth a lot, more than maybe he is worth to others.

I personally would feel a lot better about the direction of this franchise if we got Mariota and tried to build with him over Bradford.
Chip being a good coach and Chip needing Mariota are completely contradictory concepts.

Mariota is going to come into this league and win super bowls just because he is in this offense? Really?? Nothing else about the team matters besides that? The whole thing is a joke. How doesa mariota win us that Seahawks game last year? How does Mariota win us that playoff game against the saints?

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip being a good coach and Chip needing Mariota are completely contradictory concepts.

Mariota is going to come into this league and win super bowls just because he is in this offense? Really?? Nothing else about the team matters besides that? The whole thing is a joke. How doesa mariota win us that Seahawks game last year? How does Mariota win us that playoff game against the saints?

You do realize some players are system players right?

Peyton Manning wouldn't be Chips kind of QB...Russell Wilson isn't a pure pocket QB.

Marriota is a Chip Kelly kind of QB and is the best QB for this O. He is to Chip Kellys O what Luck is to the Colts.

You know exactly what we are talking about, your just wantin to argue for shits n giggles.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like it or not he's an Eagle. Maybe Manziel too.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize some players are system players right?

Peyton Manning wouldn't be Chips kind of QB...Russell Wilson isn't a pure pocket QB.

Marriota is a Chip Kelly kind of QB and is the best QB for this O. He is to Chip Kellys O what Luck is to the Colts.

You know exactly what we are talking about, your just wantin to argue for shits n giggles.

No, I'm arguing because you think some half ass QB is comparable to Luck in any way. Luck is the best QB for this offense. Him or Aaron Rodgers, or a bunch of other guys, not Mariota. Get a clue.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like it or not he's an Eagle. Maybe Manziel too.

If we're lucky he'll be as shitty as McNabb.

Our redzone offense is going to be crap with a QB that can't really read the whole field and sling it. Been there, seen that. The Ducks couldn't beat the top teams because they stall in the red zone too.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Others are speculating that Chip is throwing a smokescreen with Mariota and that he really wants to hide the fact that he's interested in a DB/WR. My point was what is the purpose of a smokescreen if Mariota is off the board by the time he trades up to take his DB/WR? If he's planning to take a DB/WR at #20, then there's no need to feign interest in Mariota.

There are only two reasons to feign interest in Mariota. The first is for a team to take him at 2/3 so that it pushes another player down so that the Eagles can trade up to take him (for example, if the Titans aren't interested in Mariota and no other trades take place, then Mariota would fall to the Jets. By expressing interest in moving up to take Mariota, he may force other teams to jump the Jets to get Mariota. Cleveland may trade up to that spot. The Jets may trade up to #2 in order to secure Mariota). So, if the fake interest in Mariota gets another team to trade up into the top 5, which gets the player that they really want to not be picked and fall a few spots, which creates a scenario where they trade up to take the player that they want to fall (but don't have to trade up to #2 to get). If that's really the case, then they would need to trade Bradford to get up that high or mortgage future first round picks (or Cox).

The other reason is to show interest in Mariota is that other teams may think the Eagles won't be trading up as their player is off the board, which relaxes other teams to think that the player they want may fall to them based off of the teams picking ahead of them. It gives the Eagles the chance to make a surprise trade up to jump a team that may want a DB/WR. If that was the case, then they'd need the ammo to get into the top 10. But, they won't have the ammo from a Bradford trade, so they'd need to use a future 1st, Kendricks, or Cox. None of those options are too appealing to me. And it's not a great strategy as teams should be aware that any team could jump them.

Not signing Bradford to a new deal shows that they want to move up to take Mariota. And if they are using it as misdirection, then I don't think they have the ammo to trade up into the top 5/10 without giving up more than they'd like. The only reason to pencil in Bradford as the starter for the next few years and not have him already signed is so that other teams think you'll be trading up for Mariota. But that only works if you're trying to push players down that you really want. That makes no sense to push a player down in the top 5 where it will have no ripple effect all the way out at #20. You have to trade up to make all of this feigned interest in Mariota worthwhile.

Dude you are overthinking this. If there are rumours that Chip wants to trade up as far as 2, he is after Mariota. There is no "fake" interest. Bradford has to be part of the equation for Mariota to replace what he loses in Bradford. With your scenario, you seem to be suggesting that we go into next season with Sanchez as our undisputed starter, which would not be very good. That is why he got Bradford to begin with, to either be the starting QB or use him as trade bait to get Mariota because he does seem to have legitimate value with Cleveland.

And they have the ammo to make it happen if they're willing to include their 2 best young defensive players in a deal to make it happen. You don't give up what they might unless it's for a QB.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading for an expensive QB on an expiring contract makes no sense if you don't redo his deal. Who is the Eagles QB next year? And if you say Bradford, then why wasn't a contract worked out before picks were traded for him?

He also signed two FA CBs to longer deals. I'm not sure why you think that makes CB more of a target than a QB.

Because he's coming off of a lengthy injury history and it's been widely reported that he would not consider an extension with anyone but the Eagles - and despite this Cleveland is still interested. If he gets swapped to them on Thursday then the extension is their problem.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they have the ammo to make it happen if they're willing to include their 2 best young defensive players in a deal to make it happen. You don't give up what they might unless it's for a QB.

Fletcher Cox is the type of player you hope to draft at #2 in the draft. A guy with the potential to become a 24 year old unblockable beast that offense's fear. That would be so fucking stupid to lose him for a worse, lesser player with huge question marks.

I'm not really worried about that part of it though. Chip cannot possibly be that dumb. Fletcher's name has come up for two reasons 1)because Andy's other draftees have all been on the block and 2)every team that talks to Chip about trades and Chip says "well anyone is available" then they all ask for Cox because Cox is a top player in this league at any position.

Last edited:

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If these rumors are true, I much rather give up Bradford (or #19), #20, Kendricks and a 2016 first - rather then: Bradford (or #19), #20, Kendricks and Fletcher Cox. This is coming from someone who loves Kendricks as well... but losing Cox would be devastating. At least we have Kiko Alonso and depth at ILB, and Cox is at a premier position as a stud run defender and a pass rusher who's just scratching the surface. Regardless, I really hate to lose either one, but losing both would sting.

Agree with you B4L, but I think if we are going up to #2 it's going to cost Kendricks, Cox, 19, 20, AND next year's first. Like many others here the the prospect of Mariota as an Eagle is exciting for me but the cost makes me cringe every time I think about it.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have no idea what you are trying to say here. I never said Mariota was a cure all.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea what you are trying to say here. I never said Mariota was a cure all.

Yeah, he ain't. And he sets us back years if you trade 4-5 top assets for him.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'm arguing because you think some half ass QB is comparable to Luck in any way. Luck is the best QB for this offense. Him or Aaron Rodgers, or a bunch of other guys, not Mariota. Get a clue.

I think in time Mariota could run any system - now I'm not saying he could or will ever be as good as Luck or Rodgers, but he has a skill set and the physical tools to do it at a high level. He is the perfect marriage for Chip's scheme to produce right away.

I think others are just trying to point out he has Luck-type traits that would be enhanced in Chip's system. I don't think anyone would argue that if you had a choice between the actual Andrew Luck and Mariota, Luck is the prototype to play in Chip's offense on every level. But we don't have and never will get the real Andrew Luck, unfortunately. Maybe you take a chance on a prospect that could bring a similar type of impact because his skills are such a natural fit for the offense.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in time Mariota could run any system - now I'm not saying he could or will ever be as good as Luck or Rodgers, but he has a skill set and the physical tools to do it at a high level. He is the perfect marriage for Chip's scheme to produce right away.

I think others are just trying to point out he has Luck-type traits that would be enhanced in Chip's system. I don't think anyone would argue that if you had a choice between the actual Andrew Luck and Mariota, Luck is the prototype to play in Chip's offense on every level. But we don't have and never will get the real Andrew Luck, unfortunately. Maybe you take a chance on a prospect that could bring a similar type of impact because his skills are such a natural fit for the offense.

Luck-type traits, whaaaaaaat??

His skill set beyond physical tools is what? He's like a utensil drawer without any forks or spoons.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fletcher Cox is the type of player you hope to draft at #2 in the draft. A guy with the potential to become a 24 year old unblockable beast that offense's fear. That would be so fucking stupid to lose him for a worse, lesser player with huge question marks.

I'm not really worried about that part of it though. Chip cannot possibly be that dumb. Fletcher's name has come up for two reasons 1)because Andy's other draftees have all been on the block and 2)every team that talks to Chip about trades and Chip says "well anyone is available" then they all ask for Cox because Cox is a top player in this league at any position.

E-Nut I'm right with you on this one. I'm not an advocate for them trading Fletcher Cox. I absolutely love the guy and it would be like someone kicking me in the groin if they used him as a piece to get Mariota. BUT if Chip wants his QB badly enough, he will trade him. Chip has shown clearly in the last two off-seasons no one is off limits on this roster.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck-type traits, whaaaaaaat??

His skill set beyond physical tools is what? He's like a utensil drawer without any forks or spoons.

He played in a very specific offense in College; he was asked to do very specific things. It doesn't preclude him from learning a new system and succeeding in it. He doesn't strike me as being a stupid guy who is incapable of learning a new offense that he is likely going to have to do if he doesn't end up in Philly. But in our offense he is tailor-made to run it - my point being the impact that he would have in Chip's offense would make him look better than average (dare I say special) because Chip would be able to maximize his talents like no one else.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota is a STUD, and will take Chips offense to new heights immediately. Watch some fuckin Tape for God sakes. The kid has it man, poise, a rocket arm, Jets, and he is fuckin smart!

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some of those throws were EXTREMELY NFL like throws....and his speed and the things he can do to extend plays make him not only good but DANGEROUS!

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol watched him plenty. The Ducks are always on TV.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we are not getting Mariota I do not see it happening

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Mariota drops out of the top 5 it is not going to happen. Hell to be honest needs to drop to around #10. Gonna cost too much to move up to #2 and CK is not going to pay that price for a crapshoot.