• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Little FA News

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'd like to see them go after Dragic and/or Butler and if they do't get them, just get a couple of solid FA's and wait for the following FA class and the cap increase. The Time-Warner deal will likely mean that the Lakers can take on salary after that increase that a lot of other teams may not be able or willing to do.

I like the same two, although for SF there are a few more options, like Draymond Green, Tobias Harris and DeMarre Carroll as well. I would even still consider Monroe since he can play PF and C. That would make for quite the 3 headed monster at PF/C: Randle, Monroe, Towns/Okafor. Of course, that would depend on finding a solid SF in the draft first, most likely with the #27 (or trading up a little if necessary), or making a trade for Batum maybe?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the same two, although for SF there are a few more options, like Draymond Green, Tobias Harris and DeMarre Carroll as well. I would even still consider Monroe since he can play PF and C. That would make for quite the 3 headed monster at PF/C: Randle, Monroe, Towns/Okafor. Of course, that would depend on finding a solid SF in the draft first, most likely with the #27 (or trading up a little if necessary), or making a trade for Batum maybe?

Yeah, I can see any one of those guys you mentioned. If there is any truth to the rumor of possibly playing Randle at the 3, the it would open up the possibility of going after Gasol, Aldridge, Monroe or Jordan.

Really going to be interesting with all of the possibilities.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of these rumors come from agents, using the Lakers' deep pockets to drive up the offers from other teams.

It works both ways. Teams (Lakers included) can't talk to players until July, otherwise they'll be nailed for tampering. So people within the organization will leak "off the record" stuff to reporters about who they might be interested in as a way to signal said players (and their agents) about what to expect once FA opens. That's why you see tons of reports that just say "rumors from those close to *insert team*". If they actually attached a name to it, the NBA would have to punish them.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I can see any one of those guys you mentioned. If there is any truth to the rumor of possibly playing Randle at the 3, the it would open up the possibility of going after Gasol, Aldridge, Monroe or Jordan.

Really going to be interesting with all of the possibilities.

I can't see Randle at the 3. He may have the handle, but I really don't think he can defend that position and his jumper is a work in progress.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see Randle at the 3. He may have the handle, but I really don't think he can defend that position and his jumper is a work in progress.

You may be right. However, word is that he has lost weight and has been working on his jumper. It would definitely take a lot of work for him to make the transition. The Lakers and us fans would have to be veeeery patient with him.

Ideally, they can leave him at his natural position and get a good SF via FA, even if it means sliding Kobe over to SF to bridge the gap so to speak and then go after someone in the next FA class.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be right. However, word is that he has lost weight and has been working on his jumper. It would definitely take a lot of work for him to make the transition. The Lakers and us fans would have to be veeeery patient with him.

Ideally, they can leave him at his natural position and get a good SF via FA, even if it means sliding Kobe over to SF to bridge the gap so to speak and then go after someone in the next FA class.

I don't really like Kobe at SF either, as I don't think he can handle larger players defensively these days, but that would depend on the matchup.

I think Randle's improved jumper actually improves the potential fit at PF opposite Okafor, should that be the Lakers' pick. Lakers should look SF in free agency, but most of the top guys are RFAs unlikely to change teams. Carroll may be the best chance to be a Laker as a result. Of course, that #27 (or trading up a little from 27) could net a 3&D SF type to develop.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really like Kobe at SF either, as I don't think he can handle larger players defensively these days, but that would depend on the matchup.

I think Randle's improved jumper actually improves the potential fit at PF opposite Okafor, should that be the Lakers' pick. Lakers should look SF in free agency, but most of the top guys are RFAs unlikely to change teams. Carroll may be the best chance to be a Laker as a result. Of course, that #27 (or trading up a little from 27) could net a 3&D SF type to develop.

At his age, he may actually be better at the SF than trying to defend shooting guards. Either way, he's obviously not going to be the defender that he was even 4 years ago. He still puts out the effort on defense, which is good, but they are going to have to figure out ways to hide him and help him on the defensive end.

You may be right about improving his jumper helping Randle at the 4 playing alongside Okafor. When the Pau/Bynum "twin towers" was at it's best it was because teams couldn't just pack the paint because they had to respect Pau's 15-20 foot jumper.

There are so many possibilities with what the Lakers can do in the next couple of off-seasons, it's going to be a lot of fun (unless they somehow screw it up).

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deandre Jordon may be off the list posted above because he wants to go play for Dallas. I believe he is from that area and Cuban is making a big push for him. I think if we are actively pursuing a FA big, our best chance of landing one is going to be either Gasol or Aldridge and not necessarily in that order. Monroe is hinting at resigning with Detroit.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deandre Jordon may be off the list posted above because he wants to go play for Dallas. I believe he is from that area and Cuban is making a big push for him. I think if we are actively pursuing a FA big, our best chance of landing one is going to be either Gasol or Aldridge and not necessarily in that order. Monroe is hinting at resigning with Detroit.

Yeah, I think that if Jordan leaves the Clips, it may come down to does he want to just walk across the hall or go home to Texas?

Also, if the Lakers get Towns or Okafor, I don't see them going after a big unless it's through a sign and trade where they give up Randle or Towns/Okafor.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think that if Jordan leaves the Clips, it may come down to does he want to just walk across the hall or go home to Texas?

Also, if the Lakers get Towns or Okafor, I don't see them going after a big unless it's through a sign and trade where they give up Randle or Towns/Okafor.

If the Lakers get Towns or Okafor, I could see them pursuing Robin Lopez as a bridge/vet backup at C. Solid defender/rebounder for depth (and dump Sacre). Depends on the price tag to keep Ed Davis vs sign Lopez I guess.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lakers get Towns or Okafor, I could see them pursuing Robin Lopez as a bridge/vet backup at C. Solid defender/rebounder for depth (and dump Sacre). Depends on the price tag to keep Ed Davis vs sign Lopez I guess.

Good point. Definitely could see that. I wonder what the price tag would be for him compared to Davis?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. Definitely could see that. I wonder what the price tag would be for him compared to Davis?

Davis is the tough part. Lopez made about $6M, would expect a small raise over that (depending on the competition for his services).

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They should be about equal value, somewhere between 5 to 7 mil tops. Though I could see Davis getting lower since he didn't exactly show off much with his expanded playing time. He put up decent numbers but nothing all that intriguing.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should be about equal value, somewhere between 5 to 7 mil tops. Though I could see Davis getting lower since he didn't exactly show off much with his expanded playing time. He put up decent numbers but nothing all that intriguing.

If they can get Lopez for similar money, I would lean towards Lopez. Davis has the occasional splash play, but Lopez is the better all-around player IMO.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they can get Lopez for similar money, I would lean towards Lopez. Davis has the occasional splash play, but Lopez is the better all-around player IMO.

Yeah, I think he's better overall. Only concern I have is his violence streak against mascots. If he's consumed by his hatred and kills one of them, the media shitstorm will be epic. That's black eye the franchise can't get over

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of free Agents. The Bulls just fired Thibs. Here we go. Let the rumors and rumors of rumors begin and the Lakers will be right in the thick of it along with Kobe.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
theScore

So, rumour has it Kevin Love might consider the Lakers, Celtics and Rockets, which leads me to ask the question: Do we really need/want him?

If the Lakers do draft Towns or Okafor, the team would have a phenomenal young front court when paired with Randle. Is Love worth a max contract and the risk of pushing one of the young guys to the bench?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
theScore

So, rumour has it Kevin Love might consider the Lakers, Celtics and Rockets, which leads me to ask the question: Do we really need/want him?

If the Lakers do draft Towns or Okafor, the team would have a phenomenal young front court when paired with Randle. Is Love worth a max contract and the risk of pushing one of the young guys to the bench?

Yes, the team needs him. He's great talent and the team needs talent. Plus, he'd be a phenomenal pair with Towns or Okafor.

Plus, I wouldn't worry about Randle and let that interfere with signing Love (or any other FA big like Monroe or whoever). For one, he could be a total bust. You won't know till he sees live game action. You shouldn't pass up a known commodity for an unknown. Even if he isn't a bust, there's sings pointing to him being more of a 3 so he could fit in there. And beyond that, there's nothing wrong with him coming off the bench but still playing around 25 minutes a game split between various positions exactly how Lamar Odom rotated in and out with Gasol/Bynum

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of free Agents. The Bulls just fired Thibs. Here we go. Let the rumors and rumors of rumors begin and the Lakers will be right in the thick of it along with Kobe.
Signing Rondo may be a good option.