• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Little FA News

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to have to start looking at a decent SG to come off the bench for Kobe too. I won't see him playing more than 20-25 minutes per game.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thing he didn't seriously injure his knee last night. That hyper-extension was violent. I like him but not at a max level contract.

The article mentioned something like $15m per year which I would disagree on. He got paid less than $2.5m last year. I would say no more than $7-8m

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: So, apparently the FA rumors extend to coaches. There was a rumor that the Lakers are going to fire Byron and go after Thibs.

Mitch already debunked it of course.

Could you imagine the reaction of the Showtime Lakers if they did Byron like that?

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article mentioned something like $15m per year which I would disagree on. He got paid less than $2.5m last year. I would say no more than $7-8m

I do like this kid's heart and determination. hell, anything's an upgrade over Wes Johnson...

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: So, apparently the FA rumors extend to coaches. There was a rumor that the Lakers are going to fire Byron and go after Thibs.

Mitch already debunked it of course.

Could you imagine the reaction of the Showtime Lakers if they did Byron like that?

Just saying...but what else was he gonna say? "Yeah, we're looking at him. What's that? Byron is standing right behind me? Oh man, is this embarrassing."

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saying...but what else was he gonna say? "Yeah, we're looking at him. What's that? Byron is standing right behind me? Oh man, is this embarrassing."

True, but it would be very un-Lakerlike to fire him after 1 season. Now, if we were talking about Popovich..........

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but it would be very un-Lakerlike to fire him after 1 season. Now, if we were talking about Popovich..........

Yeah, I just joke around with the "team refutes stuff" situations like this. Whether its LA or anyone else, they can't really say anything. It's just the obvious PR answer that doesn't mean much. I don't think they do anything right now either mostly because they wouldn't like the optics of it (though they did fire Mike Brown after 1 year). But if Thibs sits the year out like Brooks is doing, Scott might as well pack his bags. Much easier pill to swallow to send a guy out after 2 seasons

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I just joke around with the "team refutes stuff" situations like this. Whether its LA or anyone else, they can't really say anything. It's just the obvious PR answer that doesn't mean much. I don't think they do anything right now either mostly because they wouldn't like the optics of it (though they did fire Mike Brown after 1 year). But if Thibs sits the year out like Brooks is doing, Scott might as well pack his bags. Much easier pill to swallow to send a guy out after 2 seasons

I think it'll depend on what happens this season. With a healthy Randle, a healthy Kobe, an improved Clarkson (apparently he's already in the gym preparing for next year) if they get any decent FA's, then the playoffs should be the expectation.

If the team appears to be on the right track, I don't think they make a move. But, if they are struggling, then his seat could get pretty warm, especially if Thibs or someone comparable is available.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it'll depend on what happens this season. With a healthy Randle, a healthy Kobe, an improved Clarkson (apparently he's already in the gym preparing for next year) if they get any decent FA's, then the playoffs should be the expectation.

If the team appears to be on the right track, I don't think they make a move. But, if they are struggling, then his seat could get pretty warm, especially if Thibs or someone comparable is available.

Well you already know I think Scott is a place holder anyway. Playoffs next year is the only way he keeps his job if they have a guy like Thibs out there next summer. And I think playoffs is a stretch. Realistically, even if they do get a bunch of talent, playoffs in the West is a very tall task. 35 to 38 wins is probably much more realistic. If they hit that mark, no one would really bat that much of an eye with Scott being let go, especially if the plan includes allowing Durant to pick his coach and other max teammate.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I laugh every time the pundits throw out there another player or coach that the Lakers are chasing. Only in America.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you already know I think Scott is a place holder anyway. Playoffs next year is the only way he keeps his job if they have a guy like Thibs out there next summer. And I think playoffs is a stretch. Realistically, even if they do get a bunch of talent, playoffs in the West is a very tall task. 35 to 38 wins is probably much more realistic. If they hit that mark, no one would really bat that much of an eye with Scott being let go, especially if the plan includes allowing Durant to pick his coach and other max teammate.

I think the likelihood of making the playoffs will depend on who they get in FA. If they land a guy like Dragic or Butler, I think that could be a playoff team assuming Kobe stays healthy and the draft pick makes an impact.

Whatever happens, it's going to be a fun and interesting off season. It'll also be nice to actually be optimistic about things.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I laugh every time the pundits throw out there another player or coach that the Lakers are chasing. Only in America.

I think a lot of these rumors come from agents, using the Lakers' deep pockets to drive up the offers from other teams.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I doubt that gets it done. He'll be at least a $10M guy, if not approaching $15M. What he was paid last year doesn't really matter, kinda like Draymond Green. Green (another guy the Lakers might bid on as an RFA) made less than $1M last year, but will likely get a max contract this summer.

A year from now, $10-15M won't look as pricey as it does now. The expanding salary cap over the next few years will destroy the current price tiers for players.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers need to keep it together a sign just one good FA to play out the Kobe money. The cap increase next year and the added Lakers cap space will retool this team back to the top in a couple of seasons.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers need to keep it together a sign just one good FA to play out the Kobe money. The cap increase next year and the added Lakers cap space will retool this team back to the top in a couple of seasons.

Yeah, I'd like to see them go after Dragic and/or Butler and if they do't get them, just get a couple of solid FA's and wait for the following FA class and the cap increase. The Time-Warner deal will likely mean that the Lakers can take on salary after that increase that a lot of other teams may not be able or willing to do.