• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Little FA News

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw a little Lakers FA news this morning:

Kobe really wants Rondo: Kobe told the Boston Herald in a story published Wednesday that he continues to recruit Dallas point guard Rajon Rondo.

I'm not done. I'm not stopping until he signs an extension.

As for the re-build and targeting FA's this summer. Byron said he really doesn't care in what manner the Lakers re-build, be it with a franchise center or point guard. "Both" he said.

The Lakers have already begun to prioritize. Scott said that he and Mitch have already discussed the upcoming class of FA's.

Just as far as 'Do you like this guy?' We'll continue to do that as the season goes along, but as we get close to the end then, obviously, I'll start thinking a little more about the guys that I think could come here and help us.

With the season a little more than halfway over and the trade deadline approaching, there's likely to be more and more speculation on what the Lakers will do. Do you guys want me to sticky this and we can put all of the stuff we hear/speculate on in here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a good idea TJF12. That means Rondo and say Monroe for the first two major moves.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will definitely be an interesting offseason. The Lakers could have anywhere between roughly $25mil and $50mil in cap space. The latter number if Kobe decides to retire. They could also have a high draft pick.

I'm on the fence about Rondo. He's good, but he's getting a bit old and will cost a great deal of their cap space assuming Kobe is still around. Rondo's game can last several more years though because he doesn't attack the rim like Westbrook type PGs. He's more of a ground level player.

If they luck out and get the #1 draft pick, things will be very interesting. Okafor is the clear #1 choice. I don't follow college ball, but have watched highlights of him. He looks legit to me. An Okafor/Randle frontcourt would be a nice thing to develop and build around. There's looks to be some other bigs high on the draft prediction charts as well. Then there's that Mudiay kid. Don't know much about him.

I like Greg Monroe. I can see the front office offering him a max contract. A Monroe/Randle frontcourt could be strong on offense. A little suspect on defense though.

I would offer Kawhi Leonard a max contract right from the jump. Put San Antonio on the clock, assuming Kawhi would sign the offer sheet. This kid is very good and hasn't reached his full potential yet. Draymond Green, Butler, and Harris are also worth a look. Gonna be tough to get these RFAs though.

Choke 4 Okafor!!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I know lakersrule. I was being facetious watching Kobe now try to be GM. Sometimes his ego gets the best of him. I am not a big Rondo fan. I think he is on the downside. We have Clarkson who is coming along nicely. I definitely think Monroe is the big we are looking for to build around in conjunction with Randle and Clarkson; that's a nice start.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I know lakersrule. I was being facetious watching Kobe now try to be GM. Sometimes his ego gets the best of him. I am not a big Rondo fan. I think he is on the downside. We have Clarkson who is coming along nicely. I definitely think Monroe is the big we are looking for to build around in conjunction with Randle and Clarkson; that's a nice start.

I really wish Clarkson would get more PT. This kid has potential for sure.

I totally forgot about Goran Dragic. He's unrestricted and said he'll test the market.

Anyone know what the max offers for Monroe and Dragic will be? Based on the lower estimate of the Lakers cap space, I think they are close to being able to sign both.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's 4 years/$60mil that the Lakers can offer Monroe and Dragic.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers are supposed to reveal Kobe's MRI results later today. We may be tanking for Okafor the rest of the way through anyway so why not give Clarkson 25+ mins per game.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers are supposed to reveal Kobe's MRI results later today. We may be tanking for Okafor the rest of the way through anyway so why not give Clarkson 25+ mins per game.

Think it's a little late on that front. Even if the lakers were to not win another game rest of season. The 76ers, twolves, and Knicks have a 4-5 game lead for worse record. Unless a few go on winning streak.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK TrojanFight. Now that Kobe has a torn Rotator cuff and is all but done, we will be in the hunt for the top five going foward and we could conceivably get into the top three realm as New York has a two-game winning streak going.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think it's a little late on that front. Even if the lakers were to not win another game rest of season. The 76ers, twolves, and Knicks have a 4-5 game lead for worse record. Unless a few go on winning streak.

But it's a lottery. The last place team isn't guaranteed the #1 pick. They have the best chance, but it's very possible the Lakers get the #1 pick if they finish top 5. With this lottery system, how many teams that finished last ended up picking first?

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lottery odds for the first pick:

1. 25%
2. 19.9%
3. 15.6%
4. 11.9%
5. 8.8%

The Lakers are currently sitting at the 4 spot.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK TrojanFight. Now that Kobe has a torn Rotator cuff and is all but done, we will be in the hunt for the top five going foward and we could conceivably get into the top three realm as New York has a two-game winning streak going.

I can see this being the last straw. Does Kobe want to go through another long rehabilitation period for another season of playing part time? I'm not so sure.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it's a lottery. The last place team isn't guaranteed the #1 pick. They have the best chance, but it's very possible the Lakers get the #1 pick if they finish top 5. With this lottery system, how many teams that finished last ended up picking first?

yeah true. its possible they get #1 spot from where they are. its even possible they get left out of top 5 together. last year i had hoped they would get a higher spot than they got. its luck of draw really. if any team is in need of getting gift like cleveland got its the lakers.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah true. its possible they get #1 spot from where they are. its even possible they get left out of top 5 together. last year i had hoped they would get a higher spot than they got. its luck of draw really. if any team is in need of getting gift like cleveland got its the lakers.

The protection must be pre-lottery right? So, if they end up with the 5th worst record, they keep the pick even if it falls out of the top 5 post-lottery. That would be slightly embarrassing, otherwise, for whomever represents the Lakers at the draft lottery.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The important thing, lottery wise, is to get in the top 5. As for Kobe retiring. I doubt it. As long as it took for him to come back from the last 2 injuries, he actually came back faster than most would (or he should have). The rotator cuff may be a blessing in disguise as it will force him to sit out.

The rotator cuff should also heal in time for him to do his usual off-season workout routine rather than spending his off-season rehabbing an injury like he did going into this season. I think that part of his struggles this year have been due to not being able to have his normal off-season workout.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers aren't going to tank. No way no how. Especially not with the weak draft class this year.

Once Randle comes back it's almost like getting a rookie anyway!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers aren't going to tank. No way no how. Especially not with the weak draft class this year.

Once Randle comes back it's almost like getting a rookie anyway!

The players and coaching staff won't tank. Players and coaches never do. However, with Kobe out, I could also see the FO not making any moves trade wise, that would immediately improve the team.

Unless something crazy just falls in their lap (like a salary dump of a soon to be FA to get something for them) I doubt they do any trades unless it's for draft picks or a young player they may want to audition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only good news out of the Kobe injury is that it may mean Jordan Clarkson could see a significant increase in minutes.

Once that dude gets better confidence and doesn't let missed dunks/layups or bad passes bother him, he can be a valuable asset in the future.

For what it's worth, I don't see Lin coming back on this team AT ALL!!!