• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Little FA News

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clarkson had a good night against the Wiz. Finished with 18 points. Not too shabby for the rook. Plus he gained invaluable playing time experience.

Keep giving this kid playing time and he will improve. He's already starting to understand the speed of the game. His first games, he would play as fast as he could all the time. He's adjusting that and seeing the game better.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea lakersrule. Scott has really been mentoring Clarkson and the adjustments are paying big dividends right now and for the future because I think we may have found a solution to our point guard issues. He and Ellington appear to work very well together and this may be the starters in the backcourt for the rest of the season.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to say it, but this season is a complete loss. While I will never root for the team to lose, it might be better to get that lottery pick after all.

Most important is to give Clarkson the minutes for the remainder of the season though. 30+ minutes per game hopefully. With this he might just be able to gain that confidence he needs to eventually become the Lakers' guard for the future.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some comments by Mitch in today's paper:

On Kobe possibly retiring because of the rotator cuff:

I don't think he's retiring. I spoke to him this morning. The doctor's prognosis was released yesterday and he said he's looking forward to training camp. That's what we expect.

On the injuries Kobe has suffered:

I feel bad for Kobe. He had a spectacular career and 2 1/2 years ago, in the playoff run, he rolls and tears an Achilles tendon and makes a dramatic comeback the next year, then breaks a bone in his knee and makes another dramatic comeback and really proved that he can play in this league at a very, very high level. Now he goes out with a season ending injury. It's part of the business. Every team in the league goes through it. I wouldn't call it a nightmare, but I feel bad for Kobe.

On Byron taking blame for playing Kobe too much early in the season:

That didn't have anything to do with anything, certainly not the injury. Byron is saying the right thing by taking the fall. I think Byron made a decision with our support, to sit him out down at certain times to try to get the best we could out of him, but I don't think that had anything to do with the shoulder injury whatsoever.

On the rebuild:

To me, a big part of Kobe's contribution next year is if we can improve this team during the off-season.

On the trade deadline:

If we make a move, we have to make sure it's the right move and not give away hard-earned flexibility. One of the primary things in this league that you do have to protect is your flexibility. It gives you a lot of options.

On "tanking":

Our players and coaches have been instructed to win games. However, a top five pick is always a good thing.

Apparently, Mitch and Steve Nash have been having breakfast together once a month. Mitch's comments on Nash helping mentor the young guys like Clarkson:

I expect him to - whether in the next month , two or three or during the off-season - to help our younger players. He's more than willing and he's already agreed, saying he'd love to do it.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there you go on the last quote. Nash will make a great coach and it would behoove the Lakers and Scott to hire as such and add to the growing list of ex-Lakers becoming coaches. This of course after nash gets over the pouting about the end of his career.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there you go on the last quote. Nash will make a great coach and it would behoove the Lakers and Scott to hire as such and add to the growing list of ex-Lakers becoming coaches. This of course after nash gets over the pouting about the end of his career.

An update on this from this mornings paper:

Clarkson said game film isn't his only teaching tool. He also has a pretty good teacher. Steve Nash, a future Hall of Famer, has been mentoring the rookie guard in recent weeks, giving him tips via text messages and phone calls. On Wednesday, the two met for the first time in person working on the court, a move Clarkson said paid dividends. "We did a little bit of everything," Clarkson said.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once Nash gets over his season-long pout about his career being over, he'll make a great coach. And, he'll probably be added to the Lakers staff when that happens. Nash's influence on Clarkson's game is obvious in a matter of weeks.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as i'd love to see Nash on the coaching staff, I think it's more likely he moves back to Arizona to be with his kids.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Byron bought in to tanking?

Yesterday, he had Swaggy P on the bench available, but chose not to play him. Officially, it goes into the books as Did Not Play-Coaches Decision.

Swaggy says he was good to go. Byron says he's concerned about the ankle injury and wants to see him in a full practice before he plays him again.

Argument against him buying into tanking: It's hard to imagine Byron EVER being okay with losing, especially when he's trying to instill a winning attitude into this team. According to the FO, the coaches and players have been told to win games. Also, it can be argued that he has good reason to be cautious since he has seen 4 players go down to season ending injuries.

Argument for him buying into tanking: The only way the Lakers get to keep that top 5 pick is by losing a lot of games and they need to lose a few to teams that have worse records than they do. Keeping arguably your best scorer out of a game where the team obviously needed a spark and someone who can put a lot of points up quickly while playing a 9 win team, seems a good way to tank and improve your chances of keeping that pick.

So, what's the verdict?

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little of both maybe? He took the blame for Kobe's injury so I could see him conceding this year and just focusing on the players' health while at the same time going for that top 5 pick.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing much can be done to save this year now. The team wasn't good enough to warrant trading away the Lakers' few assets even with Kobe anyway. Too many injuries, not enough talent.

If the Lakers can resign Davis to go along with Hill, Black and Randle plus Clarkson with a half a season of starting under his belt and Nick Young, that's not too bad of a core to go with depending on who the Lakers sign in free agency. The Lakers could also possibly resign Ellington and Wes Johnson too. Not to mention that potential top 5 pick, the Lakers could easily see themselves in the playoffs next year. I'm not seeing all the doom and gloom personally.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yesterday, he had Swaggy P on the bench available, but chose not to play him. Officially, it goes into the books as Did Not Play-Coaches Decision.

Swaggy says he was good to go. Byron says he's concerned about the ankle injury and wants to see him in a full practice before he plays him again.

Argument against him buying into tanking: It's hard to imagine Byron EVER being okay with losing, especially when he's trying to instill a winning attitude into this team. According to the FO, the coaches and players have been told to win games. Also, it can be argued that he has good reason to be cautious since he has seen 4 players go down to season ending injuries.

Argument for him buying into tanking: The only way the Lakers get to keep that top 5 pick is by losing a lot of games and they need to lose a few to teams that have worse records than they do. Keeping arguably your best scorer out of a game where the team obviously needed a spark and someone who can put a lot of points up quickly while playing a 9 win team, seems a good way to tank and improve your chances of keeping that pick.

So, what's the verdict?

I'd say he's tanking. But at the same time, after watching Nick Young play his entire NBA career, you'd think you would have a better shot at losing by playing Nick Young. So :noidea:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say he's tanking. But at the same time, after watching Nick Young play his entire NBA career, you'd think you would have a better shot at losing by playing Nick Young. So :noidea:

:lol: Don't be pickin' on Swaggy!!

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, what's the verdict?

ive missed out on last few games. ive heard it stated by some of the reporters that cover the lakers that nick young is in Byron scott's doghouse. he had a comment few games ago that nick young acted like he didn't want to be there. then he had minor injury so I don't buy him tanking. I do think hes not on Byron's high list.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ive missed out on last few games. ive heard it stated by some of the reporters that cover the lakers that nick young is in Byron scott's doghouse. he had a comment few games ago that nick young acted like he didn't want to be there. then he had minor injury so I don't buy him tanking. I do think hes not on Byron's high list.

Yikes! After all that commentating & jokes he did about Swaggy last season, Byron showed he really loved Swaggy. My my, how times have changed. :L

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little of both maybe? He took the blame for Kobe's injury so I could see him conceding this year and just focusing on the players' health while at the same time going for that top 5 pick.

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking. They're not making the playoffs, so now it's about developing young guys, focusing on health and laying some of the groundwork for what will hopefully be a better team next year and beyond.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes! After all that commentating & jokes he did about Swaggy last season, Byron showed he really loved Swaggy. My my, how times have changed. :L

I think Byron is showing Swaggy a little tough love. He's a very talented player, but he's also always been inconsistent and has had a tendency to allow his effort and attitude to suffer when things aren't going well.

I think that's part of what Byron is talking about when he talks about a "championship mindset." Swaggy needs to learn that if you want to be a champion, your effort and attitude have to be consistent, even when things aren't going well.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides, Swaggy has a tendency to do "The Swag" once too often and a championsip needs a little more mental toughness than "The Swag" is used to on his good days.

Interesting development occurring if we remain in the top five draft slot. We could end up with two number ones and two number twos. FA may not then be such a pressing issue and B. Scott and Mitch can re-tool quickly. Here's the link from the LA Time.

Lakers could wind up with four picks in the 2015 NBA draft - LA Times

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first round pick is the pot of gold for the Lakers, but that first round pick from Houston is a gamble - might be good, but down there in the numbers - 30 teams and that one is hanging around at the bottom 8 seeds. I am not hopeful for the Clippers pick even if the Lakers get it - players that far down in the draft seldom become note worthy, and the Orlando pick is far down enough that it could either way. I think the Lakers can count for sure on that first pick and hope for at least one major signing. That would be enough to turn things around and make the Lakers look attractive for 2016. I just don't see this happening quickly as in this summer, but would love to see it happen