• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Little FA News

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers Rumors: Jimmy Butler Wants To Sign A One-Year Deal With L.A. | Lakers Nation

Not seeing this. Bulls likely match any offer like the story says. But seems like that would make the lakers guard heavy. Maybe clarkson goes back to bench. He's a X factor here. Will he continue where he left off? Or is this goudelock 2.0?

Imo, if he really wants to be a Laker, it will be up to him and his agent to force his way out which can most likely be accomplished via sign and trade. They'd basically have to say "sign and trade now or he walks next year and you get nothing back." In a case like that, maybe the Lakers trade Clarkson for him on the sign and trade?

If he can force his way out without a sign and trade, then Clarkson comes off the bench backing up Kobe and Russell and being the starting 2 in games that Kobe sits out. The advantage of Clarkson being a combo guard is that he can essentially play starters minutes off the bench.

A starting lineup of:

C- Hill or solid vet FA
PF- Randle
SF - Butler
SG - Kobe
PG - Russell

could make some noise, imo.

Like Dan Patrick just said though, over the FA period we are going to hear about <insert player here> is definitely signing with the Lakers and then the next report will be <insert player here> is not signing with the Lakers.

At this point, I think the only FA that can be ruled out is Marc Gasol because he said he has no interest in signing with the Lakers because of how Pau was treated his last 2-3 years. I'd think that even that could change if the Lakers come at him with the right pitch and he'll listen. Probably best to just cross him off the list and not waste time though.

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers Rumors: Jimmy Butler Wants To Sign A One-Year Deal With L.A. | Lakers Nation

Not seeing this. Bulls likely match any offer like the story says. But seems like that would make the lakers guard heavy. Maybe clarkson goes back to bench. He's a X factor here. Will he continue where he left off? Or is this goudelock 2.0?

I didn't think a team could offer a 1 year deal

Here is what I thought:
If Chicago offers max qualifying deal - deals from other teams have to be a minimum of 3 years
If Chicago does not offer max qualifying deal - deals from other teams have to be a minimum of 2 years

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Butler is whistling dixie. He had his chance before the draft and now he appears to be in somewhat of a panic mode. Chicago is going to match any offer he gets and giving up Clarkson for him in a sign and trade is just plain stupid. About as stupid as trading Russell for Cousins. Stick with the GS Logo model. As Patrick stated, there will be a lot of these hair-brained trade rumors that some "pundit" thinks up at his/her desk during a slow time at work.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think a team could offer a 1 year deal

Here is what I thought:
If Chicago offers max qualifying deal - deals from other teams have to be a minimum of 3 years
If Chicago does not offer max qualifying deal - deals from other teams have to be a minimum of 2 years

Might be talking about a 2 or 3 year deal with player option after 1.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Butler is whistling dixie. He had his chance before the draft and now he appears to be in somewhat of a panic mode. Chicago is going to match any offer he gets and giving up Clarkson for him in a sign and trade is just plain stupid. About as stupid as trading Russell for Cousins. Stick with the GS Logo model. As Patrick stated, there will be a lot of these hair-brained trade rumors that some "pundit" thinks up at his/her desk during a slow time at work.

Agree about Russell for Cousins, disagree about Clarkson for Butler. Butler is an all-star who fills a position of need and we don't truly know what we have in Clarkson. He looks good, real good and looks to be the absolute steal of last years draft. I also love that he was starting to work out and prepare for next year already.

But he could also be the result of a talented player on a bad team. Butler is a known quantity and is still young.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well despite what Jimmy Butler and many others want, he can't sign a one-year deal with the Lakers because of a provision in the CBA that prohibits him from doing so called the Max Qualifying Offer. It has to be a three-year deal and there are other limits in play that are basically going to keep Butler stuck in Chicago until he works a short-term deal to become a FA. It is explained in an article posted below. This a fantasy at this juncture.

Jimmy Butler wants to sign a 1-year deal with the Lakers, but he can't - SBNation.com

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's nothing special. Some rookies/2nd year players mixed in with a bunch of guys you've never heard of that'll be in the D-League. None of it matters all that much but its a fun way to pass the summer.

...except that the Lakers' summer league roster is expected to include:

Jordan Clarkson
D'Angelo Russell
Jabari Brown
Anthony Brown
Larry Nance Jr
Julius Randle
Brandon Ashley
Tarik Black
Robert Upshaw

That's the entire Lakers roster without Kobe, Young, Sacre and Kelly (plus UDFAs Ashley and Upshaw).

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Butler wants to be with the Lakers sooner than later, he needs to do what Monroe did. Opt in to the last year of his current deal and then become a UFA next summer. He takes a chance of getting seriously injured and not having that long term security, but he's not a injury prone player and there's no more Thibs to overplay him.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Butler wants to be with the Lakers sooner than later, he needs to do what Monroe did. Opt in to the last year of his current deal and then become a UFA next summer. He takes a chance of getting seriously injured and not having that long term security, but he's not a injury prone player and there's no more Thibs to overplay him.

This is his only recourse, other than trying to force a S&T. Lakers don't really have much to offer in trade that they would be willing to move, so signing the one year tender is his only real move if he's set on LA.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is his only recourse, other than trying to force a S&T. Lakers don't really have much to offer in trade that they would be willing to move, so signing the one year tender is his only real move if he's set on LA.

The Lakers don't need to trade assets for him. They can wait a year as part of this 3 year rebuild.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spot on both Shopson and lakersrule. Then we will see just how serious Butler is wanting to play for the Lakers if he has the same tune in a year.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spot on both Shopson and lakersrule. Then we will see just how serious Butler is wanting to play for the Lakers if he has the same tune in a year.

...and if he still is, they can easily sign him (if not in the running for Durant)

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, as someone posted on the main board, this is a 3 year re-build. No reason to give up assets to get a guy in year 1 of the re-build when you get him in year 2 for nothing.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of the 3 year re-build. Am I the only one getting so excited that they seem to be "righting the ship" that they're having trouble remembering that it's a 3 year re-build? :lol:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bulls offered Butler the max qualifying offer. $90mil for 5 years. That's got to be tough to turn down.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...except that the Lakers' summer league roster is expected to include:

Jordan Clarkson
D'Angelo Russell
Jabari Brown
Anthony Brown
Larry Nance Jr
Julius Randle
Brandon Ashley
Tarik Black
Robert Upshaw

That's the entire Lakers roster without Kobe, Young, Sacre and Kelly (plus UDFAs Ashley and Upshaw).

So? It's still Summer League.

The Bulls offered Butler the max qualifying offer. $90mil for 5 years. That's got to be tough to turn down.

How much does he stand to make next summer if he signs the 4.4 mil qualifying offer to become a UFA next season? That's the real question. He's bet on himself once before turning down an extension, I wouldn't be all that surprised if he bets on himself again