• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Opening Day Roster Predictions

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel free to update your predictions as time goes on. For example, yesterday, the OF picture looked totally different than it does now...

SP (5)
---------
Bum
Cain
Huddy
Peavy
Timmeh

Bully (7)
---------
Casilla
Romo
Lopez
Affeldt
Petit
Vogelsong
Machi

Infield (8)
---------
C - Posey
C - Sanchez
1B - Belt
2B - Panik
SS - Crawford
3B - McGehee
Util - Arias
Util - Adrianza

OF (5)
----------
Pagan
Blanco
Aoki
Ishikawa
Maxwell

Pences injury forces the decision on Maxwell. Duvall and Parker are other options.

I picked Machi over Kontos mainly because whoever loses that battle needs to clear waivers, and I think there is a better chance for Kontos to clear than Machi.

I think Duffy has more of a future with the team than EA, but EA does not have options while Duffy does.

If Sanchez has an option, he will start in Sacramento with Susac getting the nod in SF. If he does not, he will win the job early until he is hurt or traded.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel free to update your predictions as time goes on. For example, yesterday, the OF picture looked totally different than it does now...

SP (5)
---------
Bum
Cain
Huddy
Peavy
Timmeh

Bully (7)
---------
Casilla
Romo
Lopez
Affeldt
Petit
Vogelsong
Machi

Infield (8)
---------
C - Posey
C - Sanchez
1B - Belt
2B - Panik
SS - Crawford
3B - McGehee
Util - Arias
Util - Adrianza

OF (5)
----------
Pagan
Blanco
Aoki
Ishikawa
Maxwell

Pences injury forces the decision on Maxwell. Duvall and Parker are other options.

I picked Machi over Kontos mainly because whoever loses that battle needs to clear waivers, and I think there is a better chance for Kontos to clear than Machi.

I think Duffy has more of a future with the team than EA, but EA does not have options while Duffy does.

If Sanchez has an option, he will start in Sacramento with Susac getting the nod in SF. If he does not, he will win the job early until he is hurt or traded.
Andre Ethier?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andre Ethier?
Pence will only be down about a month of regular season time. No way are the Giants going to make a deal with the Dodger for that ind of time-frame. Also, no way are the Dodgers going to come the Giants rescue.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pence will only be down about a month of regular season time. No way are the Giants going to make a deal with the Dodger for that ind of time-frame. Also, no way are the Dodgers going to come the Giants rescue.

Yeah, I brought it up because I heard a report that the Dodgers were willing to pay half his salary. I notice you don't have Perez making the roster. I think this may give him an opportunity. A short one, hopefully, but maybe he'll take advantage of it.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Cot's, as of today the Giants have the 4th largest payroll (guaranteed contracts) in the majors : a few M in front of DET and about $8M less than Boston.

LAD $268M

NYY $212M

BOS $178M

SFG $170M

DET $166M

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Cot's, as of today the Giants have the 4th largest payroll (guaranteed contracts) in the majors : a few M in front of DET and about $8M less than Boston.

LAD $268M

NYY $212M

BOS $178M

SFG $170M

DET $166M

And..........?

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belt and Buster now become the meat and potatoes of the line up and need to have a big month of April to help the loss of Hunter Pence. Belt is ready for the challenge and I think he will thrive in a more leader of the line up.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belt and Buster now become the meat and potatoes of the line up and need to have a big month of April to help the loss of Hunter Pence. Belt is ready for the challenge and I think he will thrive in a more leader of the line up.

I feel like Belt may finally start to produce as well. He just needs to stay healthy.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LAD $268M

NYY $212M

BOS $178M

SFG $170M

DET $166M
Those cheap bastards. The owners are doing nothing picking profits. Why won't they invest a couple bucks into a product fans would want to see?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I brought it up because I heard a report that the Dodgers were willing to pay half his salary. I notice you don't have Perez making the roster. I think this may give him an opportunity. A short one, hopefully, but maybe he'll take advantage of it.
I agree that JCP started to click in the Series last year. I like him, I just think that the loss of Pence means they will want to add power, and that means Maxwell, Duvall or Parker. Mac and Carbonell are not ready.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that JCP started to click in the Series last year. I like him, I just think that the loss of Pence means they will want to add power, and that means Maxwell, Duvall or
Parker. Mac and Carbonell are not ready.

Are you trying to say that Juan Perez doesn't have power?

I would of taken you seriously but then you said that.

Note: This might be a sarcastic post, with a reference to your phrase

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you trying to say that Juan Perez doesn't have power?

I would of taken you seriously but then you said that.

Note: This might be a sarcastic post, with a reference to your phrase
Perez had amazing power when he was in JC. He has decent power in the minors. He has not been able to translate that to the majors, and his small/speed game plays well in the majors.

I understand you were having fun, but it was a good point, none the less, and deserved a serious response. :nod:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SP (5)
---------
Bum
Cain
Huddy
Peavy
Timmeh

Bully (7)
---------
Casilla
Romo
Lopez
Affeldt
Petit
Vogelsong
Machi

Infield (8)
---------
C - Posey
C - Sanchez
1B - Belt
2B - Panik
SS - Crawford
3B - McGehee
Util - Arias
Util - Adrianza

OF (5)
----------
Pagan
Blanco
Aoki
Ishikawa
Maxwell

For that #7 spot in the bully, it'll come down to four guys: Greek Assassin, Macho Man, Cordier, and Jackland. Jackland has options, so he'll likely get sent down (ditto Okert). None of the other three, IMO, will clear waivers. My guess is that the Assassin makes it, but it could be the Dancing Machine. Cordier is also intriguing, but we have Jackland for the triple digit heat.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd bet Herk will be back by Tax Day. He's in amazing shape and a quick healer. I don't foresee a long rehab stint.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those cheap bastards. The owners are doing nothing picking profits. Why won't they invest a couple bucks into a product fans would want to see?

Yeah, there's that Giants Cove blogger (Dick something) who just loves to rant about that. Every post. Plenty of posts about how the Giants cant win b/c they're cheap.

Wonder if he ever gets tired of being DWIP.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that JCP started to click in the Series last year. I like him, I just think that the loss of Pence means they will want to add power, and that means Maxwell, Duvall or Parker. Mac and Carbonell are not ready.

Agreed on JCP; he moves up to #4 OF now. Mac will need ABs in Sac, Carbonell is a year away. Maxwell has 800 major league ABs of suck, and Brown is building an impressive resume of minor league mediocrity. Maybe Ishi gets to hang around for a couple of extra weeks?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SPs

1. Bum
2. Peavy
3. Cain
4. Hudson
5. Lincecum

FYWW

1. Casilla -CL
2. Lopez
3. Romo
4. Affeldt
5. Petit
6. Vogelsong
7. Kontos

Hitters

C- Posey
1B- Belt
2B- Panik
3B- McGee
SS- Crawford
LF- Aoki
CF- Pagan
RF- Blanco

Bench

Susac
Arias
Adrianza
Ishikawa
Perez

Opening Day Lineup:

LF- Aoki
2B- Panik
C- Posey
1B- Belt
CF- Pagan
3B- McGee
RF- Blanco
SS- Crawford
P- Bumgarner

Lineup once Pence returns:

LF- Aoki
2B- Panik
C- Posey
1B- Belt
RF- Pence
CF- Pagan
3B- McGee
SS- Crawford
P-

Sanchez, Duffy have options and will be sent down. Machi has decent trade value, and teams are always looking for Pen help late in Spring. Reports from Kontos have been good so far. Strickland, Okert, Hall are all waiting their turn in AAA, and Law will join them by June/July. I'm going with Perez for now, but he will be battling with Maxwell, could change week to week.

Boch seems pretty serious about leading Aoki off and batting Pagan down in the lineup. He batted 5th a lot in 2012 and I liked it, seemed to work out okay, served as a second leadoff option. I also think Boch wants stability up there and it's getting hard to trust Pagan's health. Boch is going to mix the lineup up a lot, as usual. I could even see Craw and McGee flipped on some days.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have been talking on KNBR about Pagan getting a shot at the #3 spot. If that works, that REALLY lengthens the lineup, putting Belt at 5 (6 when Pence comes back).

As for the bottom, Blanco at 7 is nice. He is a decent hitter when he isn't leading off the game. I think we will be happy with McGehee. He sounds like a pesky hitter, and personally, those are my favorite (Scutaro, Franchez and Panik types)

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have been talking on KNBR about Pagan getting a shot at the #3 spot. If that works, that REALLY lengthens the lineup, putting Belt at 5 (6 when Pence comes back).

As for the bottom, Blanco at 7 is nice. He is a decent hitter when he isn't leading off the game. I think we will be happy with McGehee. He sounds like a pesky hitter, and personally, those are my favorite (Scutaro, Franchez and Panik types)

Yeah I heard about Pagan 3rd as well. Personally, I'd rather have Posey 3rd, but those would be 4 grinded out ABs to start the game with Aoki-Panik-Pagan-Posey in a row.

There's not a lot of pop in this lineup, but it's not bad. Solid top to bottom, we'll hopefully see starters get worn out, get those pitch counts up. Belt being healthy and launching balls would really help.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I heard about Pagan 3rd as well. Personally, I'd rather have Posey 3rd, but those would be 4 grinded out ABs to start the game with Aoki-Panik-Pagan-Posey in a row.

There's not a lot of pop in this lineup, but it's not bad. Solid top to bottom, we'll hopefully see starters get worn out, get those pitch counts up. Belt being healthy and launching balls would really help.
Taking Sandoval out of the heart of this lineup totally changes the over-all strategy. We will be seeing a LOT of opposing bullies this season. I anticipate a lot fewer FPOMs and a lot more beautiful ABs. The GDTs should be rather boring without all the Sandoval-bitching :)