• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

25-Man Competitions

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rotation

Locks: Cain, Bum, Peavy
Questions: Timmeh, Vogey, Huddy

Huddy likely starts the season on the DL. Petit MAY sneak into this conversation.

Bullpen

Locks: Romo, Casilla, Affeldt, Lopez, Petit
Questions: Machi, Strickland, Black, Cordier, Kontos

3 open spots. This is where there are always surprises. Gutierez is also in camp. I suspect Machi, Strickland and Kontos have the inside track. Off chance that they start the season with 3 catchers, but I doubt it with the short off-season.

Starters

C - Posey
1B - Belt
2B - Panik
SS - Crawford
3B - McGehee
OF - Aoki, Pagan, Pence

Bench

Arias
Blanco

Competitions

C - Sanchez, Susac
Util - Duffy, Adrianza
OF - Perez, Ishikawa

One winner at each of these positions. Susac, Adrianza and Ishikawa are the favorites. Maxwell and Carbonell have outside chances for the OF spot. As mentioned earlier, off chance they break camp with 3 catchers.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are convinced that they will break camp with 13 pitchers (8 in the pen)?

I think (personally) that there's more chance they keep the extra OF or Util IF than go with 3 catchers.

IIRC, Adrianza is out of options, so he would have to thru waivers - but at least they'd be revokable, so he can be pulled back if a team claims him. (That's a great way to see what teams might be interested, then try to make a trade.)

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rotation

Huddy likely starts the season on the DL. Petit MAY sneak into this conversation.

Bullpen

3 open spots. This is where there are always surprises. Gutierez is also in camp. I suspect Machi, Strickland and Kontos have the inside track. Off chance that they start the season with 3 catchers, but I doubt it with the short off-season.

Starters

C - Posey
1B - Belt
2B - Panik
SS - Crawford
3B - McGehee
OF - Aoki, Pagan, Pence

Bench

Arias
Blanco

Competitions

C - Sanchez, Susac
Util - Duffy, Adrianza
OF - Perez, Ishikawa

One winner at each of these positions. Susac, Adrianza and Ishikawa are the favorites. Maxwell and Carbonell have outside chances for the OF spot. As mentioned earlier, off chance they break camp with 3 catchers.

Aoki before Blanco, huh? That seems kind of surprising to me. No real thought behind it, just my gut reaction.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aoki before Blanco, huh? That seems kind of surprising to me. No real thought behind it, just my gut reaction.

1) My post is not intended to be end-all, be-all.

2) The Giants have said that Aoki would be the primary starter, didn't they?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are convinced that they will break camp with 13 pitchers (8 in the pen)?

I think (personally) that there's more chance they keep the extra OF or Util IF than go with 3 catchers.

IIRC, Adrianza is out of options, so he would have to thru waivers - but at least they'd be revokable, so he can be pulled back if a team claims him. (That's a great way to see what teams might be interested, then try to make a trade.)

I am "convinced" of almost nothing. This was my draft of where I see the roster competitions.

Going with 12 relievers is a bit of an issue after the short off-season, I think.

I agree that EA sill almost certainly get the job out of Spring. I still think the org is SUPER high on him. They just don't have a spot for him. Unfortunately, trades almost never happen in April/May, and I see almost zero chance he makes it though waivers. What, exactly, do revocable waivers mean when used in April/May? I thought that only existed in August.

I don't see many scenarios where Perez makes the team. He has options and Ishikawa is guaranteed money. If they go with an extra OF, something weird will have had to happen. I think Maxwell or Carbonell actually have better chances of making the team than Perez. Maybe even Brown.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) My post is not intended to be end-all, be-all.

2) The Giants have said that Aoki would be the primary starter, didn't they?

No idea... you're probably right though. It just kind of surprised me, I guess.

Also, as an aside while I'm here- any idea what color pants they will be wearing with the new black jerseys? I think I'd dig an all black uni.
:think:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rotation

Bullpen

Starters

C - Posey
1B - Belt
2B - Panik
SS - Crawford
3B - McGehee
OF - Aoki, Pagan, Pence

Bench

Arias
Blanco

Competitions

C - Sanchez, Susac
Util - Duffy, Adrianza
OF - Perez, Ishikawa

I don't think Huddy opens on the DL, so here's what I'm hoping for:

SP: Bum/Cain/Peaved/Huddy/Tron
RP: KCya/Romo/JA/JLo/Biggie/Strick/Timmah
IF: MVP/BB9/Panik/Stamos/Hits
OF: Herk/Oxy/Aoki
Bench: Susser/Kobe/EA/Shark/JCP

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Huddy opens on the DL, so here's what I'm hoping for:

SP: Bum/Cain/Peaved/Huddy/Tron
RP: KCya/Romo/JA/JLo/Biggie/Strick/Timmah
IF: MVP/BB9/Panik/Stamos/Hits
OF: Herk/Oxy/Aoki
Bench: Susser/Kobe/EA/Shark/JCP

If am not mistaken, that means Kontos and Sanchez will need to be DFA'd since they are out of Options...

Maybe that is OK, but I doubt it goes down that way. They kept Sanchez around. I doubt they did that with there being a decent shot he gets cut out of camp...

Also, where is Ishi? He signed an MLB contract. They are not going to walk away from that.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If am not mistaken, that means Kontos and Sanchez will need to be DFA'd since they are out of Options...

Maybe that is OK, but I doubt it goes down that way. They kept Sanchez around. I doubt they did that with there being a decent shot he gets cut out of camp...

Also, where is Ishi? He signed an MLB contract. They are not going to walk away from that.

I think Sanchez and Kontos get traded, and Ishi goes to Sacto. Of course, the DL will sort a lot of this out.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Sanchez and Kontos get traded, and Ishi goes to Sacto. Of course, the DL will sort a lot of this out.

Ishi can only go to Sacto if he is designated and clears waivers. I suspect he would clear waivers, but then he would need to accept the assignment. I am not sure how that would affect his salary. I believe that when a MLB contract is signed, the player gets paid whether the player is in MLB or AAA.

Every year we say "So-n-So will be traded during camp". How often does that happen? Has it EVER happened? Trades simply don't happen during ST.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ishi can only go to Sacto if he is designated and clears waivers. I suspect he would clear waivers, but then he would need to accept the assignment. I am not sure how that would affect his salary. I believe that when a MLB contract is signed, the player gets paid whether the player is in MLB or AAA.

Every year we say "So-n-So will be traded during camp". How often does that happen? Has it EVER happened? Trades simply don't happen during ST.

Yeah, I'm not sure of the frequency of trades, but they do happen. The Giants don't seem to trade much in ST though. You may be right, and Ishi is the 5th OF.

On another note, Bochy just said Timmy is the #5, and Tron is in the bullpen. Eli Whiteside is the new bullpen coach.

At least we know who's fault it is...

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
{...}
Unfortunately, trades almost never happen in April/May, and I see almost zero chance he makes it though waivers. What, exactly, do revocable waivers mean when used in April/May? I thought that only existed in August.

Actually, many waivers are revocable, except "2nd time a player is put on waivers" in August, and DFAs, and outright waivers, and anybody put on waivers after Sep 1st (until end of season).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eli Whiteside is the new bullpen coach

I like this. He is a "Giant" and already has the presence in the locker room and knows all the pitchers.

Good hire.