• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Little FA News

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, several venues are reporting that both James and Love are opting out of their contracts. James is expected to re-sign but not so fast. Love on the other hand is not expected to re-sign. Along with all the other FAs and their brother, perhaps Love will be the one max contract the Lakers put forth. I think despite this development, the Lakers will still keep the number two and proceed.

LeBron James, Kevin Love expected to opt out of contracts with Cavaliers - SBNation.com

Yeah, unless something really bad happens, Lebron isn't going anywhere. No one can pay him what Cleveland can and no one is giving him the kind of power that he has in Cleveland.

Love is potentially a different story. Even when he played well, he didn't look comfortable in the Cavs offense. I expect that the Lakers will offer him a max deal. I'm not sure that I want him to sign with the Lakers though. Unless he or Randle can/will switch to small forward, it seems like a redundancy.

A redundancy not in terms of skills (Love being a "stretch 4" and Randle being a more traditional 4). But in terms of the position.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree TJF12. The window for Love coming to the Lakers has probably closed especially with the developments with our number two draft position and the fact that we have Randle and Kelly in that spot. Kelly is getting better and we may not need Love's services especially if Love is not willing to play the Center position. So I think he'll either stay in Cleveland or sign perhaps with Miami. Yikes.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree TJF12. The window for Love coming to the Lakers has probably closed especially with the developments with our number two draft position and the fact that we have Randle and Kelly in that spot. Kelly is getting better and we may not need Love's services especially if Love is not willing to play the Center position. So I think he'll either stay in Cleveland or sign perhaps with Miami. Yikes.

How hilarious would it be if Love went to Miami and then the Heat knocked the Cavs out of the playoffs? I want to see that just for the Cavs fans meltdown that would ensue.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really torn about signing Love. Clearly he's a skilled offensive player and still young. His defense and injuries are worrisome though. A max contract pretty much eats up all their cap space. If the Lakers draft Okafor, Love may not be the best fit as he excels in the post as well. Cleveland underutilized that aspect of his game. The same could happen alongside Okafor.

And then there's Randle. He's still a somewhat unknown commodity. I think he'll be very good, but certainly there's some bias and hopefulness with that feeling. I think he'd be a good fit alongside Okafor with his improving outside shot and ability to attack off the dribble. I'm not sure he can play at the three. I'd rather see that position filled by a lengthy 3 and D guy.

Busy times for Mitch. I can't wait to see how this all shapes out!

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With what I would propose if I were the Lakers wouldn't be much of a cap hit at all. Here's what I mean.

On taking minutes from Randle: Randle isn't going to be playing 48 minutes per game, so someone needs to back him up. Plus, we don't know how good he really is since he was out for the season in the first game. If he turns out to be the player we think he is, great. Lee comes off the bench. If he turns out not to be as good or needs to develop more, Lee can start and Randle can come off the bench.

If the Lakers did trade for Lee, then they should send Jordan Hill to GSW in the trade. Lee will be in the final year of his deal and making $15 million. Hill will make $9 million. Cap hit ends up being $6 million, leaving plenty of cap space for a max FA. If the Lakers can throw Swaggy into the deal, it would be even better. Add his $4.5 million(?) to Hill's $9 million and the Lakers end up with a cap hit of only $1.5 million.

After next season, the cap goes way up and Kobe comes off the books. If Lee plays well, he can be re-signed (at less than $15 million) and if he doesn't, the Lakers let him walk as a UFA.

End of the day, who knows if the Lakers are even interested? Fun to speculate though.

I'm assuming Hill is gone, so that's a $15M hit to what I'm projecting. I don't see the Warriors wanting Hill in trade, especially at that $9M number. They have another max contract to dole out this summer (Green), so I imagine the Warriors would want to maximize their cap savings in a Lee trade. At this point, I view Hill and Young as nearly untradeable, to which point Hill will not have his option picked up.

A few years back, Lee was a discussion topic as a potential free agent or trade target, but even then he was viewed as too expensive for what he brings (and isn't much of a defender).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be surprised if Love opts out actually, unless hes' going to pursue a 1 year deal (or 2 year deal with a player option for the second year). He would really hurt the value of his contract starting in 2016 otherwise.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be surprised if Love opts out actually, unless hes' going to pursue a 1 year deal (or 2 year deal with a player option for the second year). He would really hurt the value of his contract starting in 2016 otherwise.

I think he does opt out but stays in Cleveland. That looks to be the current sentiment.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love may end up in Miami Shopson and lakersrule. Don't count out Pat Riley.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hill's option rumored to be not picked up by the Lakers giving the Lakers $9 mill extra cap space this free agency period. It also shows that Okafor or Towns is the pick for the Lakers.

With that the Lakers are roughly $33 million under the cap. Get a few players on short term deals this year and next; dynasty restored.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hill's option rumored to be not picked up by the Lakers giving the Lakers $9 mill extra cap space this free agency period. It also shows that Okafor or Towns is the pick for the Lakers.

With that the Lakers are roughly $33 million under the cap. Get a few players on short term deals this year and next; dynasty restored.

Yea Hangman, it was announced today that the Lakers did not pick-up his option which means he is good as gone.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love may end up in Miami Shopson and lakersrule. Don't count out Pat Riley.

They already have Bosh at PF. Plus, I don't think they can add a max guy (could be wrong on that though).

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really torn about signing Love. Clearly he's a skilled offensive player and still young. His defense and injuries are worrisome though. A max contract pretty much eats up all their cap space. If the Lakers draft Okafor, Love may not be the best fit as he excels in the post as well. Cleveland underutilized that aspect of his game. The same could happen alongside Okafor.

And then there's Randle. He's still a somewhat unknown commodity. I think he'll be very good, but certainly there's some bias and hopefulness with that feeling. I think he'd be a good fit alongside Okafor with his improving outside shot and ability to attack off the dribble. I'm not sure he can play at the three. I'd rather see that position filled by a lengthy 3 and D guy.

Busy times for Mitch. I can't wait to see how this all shapes out!

I'd sign him no question. His skills on the offensive side are elite level. Even in Cleveland where they clearly struggled to find a way to make it fit, he was still averaging 17 and 10 a game. Whatever deficiencies he has can be dealt with. Not every max player is totally balanced. Guys like Harden or Westbrook or prime Dirk all thrive on one side of the ball but you'd still take them in a heartbeat. He brings more to the table than he takes off. If I'm building a roster, I don't really care that Randle is there. I know what Love is. I have no idea what Randle is. I'm signing Love and let Randle prove himself. Worst come to worst, I can trade a guy later. And I don't see any issue meshing with Okafor either. His range is perfect for some high/low action with Okafor

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several sports venues are reporting that Ed Davis wants to come back to the Lakers. This is getting interesting.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several sports venues are reporting that Ed Davis wants to come back to the Lakers. This is getting interesting.

Wouldn't hate that. Solid, dependable role player, imo.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd sign him no question. His skills on the offensive side are elite level. Even in Cleveland where they clearly struggled to find a way to make it fit, he was still averaging 17 and 10 a game. Whatever deficiencies he has can be dealt with. Not every max player is totally balanced. Guys like Harden or Westbrook or prime Dirk all thrive on one side of the ball but you'd still take them in a heartbeat. He brings more to the table than he takes off. If I'm building a roster, I don't really care that Randle is there. I know what Love is. I have no idea what Randle is. I'm signing Love and let Randle prove himself. Worst come to worst, I can trade a guy later. And I don't see any issue meshing with Okafor either. His range is perfect for some high/low action with Okafor

Good points. I'm on the fence re: Love. I like his game (except for his defense) and his range makes working with Okafor or Towns doable.

I worry about his injuries though. I don't know if he could be called injury prone just yet, but his history needs to at least be taken into consideration.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree TJF12. If we do sign Love, he would have to improve his overall strength because his tendency to injury. He reminds me of Ryan Kelly. After Kelly's last injury convalescence, he spent the time and got stronger especially in his upper body and it showed. Love would need to do the same.

Ed Davis and Kelly would be keepers. Re-signing Davis and the fact they are going to keep Black and suddenly our front court is filling up with either Towns/Okafor or a FA center and everyone else.

I believe all of this activity spells the end for Wes Johnson. WE have already seen that Hill and Boozer are done as Lakers and now I believe the same goes for Johnson. Like B. Scott stated earlier, we will probably see 7-8 new Lakers come opening day of the new season.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree TJF12. If we do sign Love, he would have to improve his overall strength because his tendency to injury. He reminds me of Ryan Kelly. After Kelly's last injury convalescence, he spent the time and got stronger especially in his upper body and it showed. Love would need to do the same.

Ed Davis and Kelly would be keepers. Re-signing Davis and the fact they are going to keep Black and suddenly our front court is filling up with either Towns/Okafor or a FA center and everyone else.

I believe all of this activity spells the end for Wes Johnson. WE have already seen that Hill and Boozer are done as Lakers and now I believe the same goes for Johnson. Like B. Scott stated earlier, we will probably see 7-8 new Lakers come opening day of the new season.

I agree.

Also, agree that it's probably time for the Wes Johnson experiment to end. The kid has undeniable talent, but for whatever reason, he just can't seem to put it together on the court in any kind of consistent way. It seems like he will show flashes of how good he can be and then he disappears again.

I wouldn't necessarily mind the Lakers keeping him as an end of the bench guy ala a guy like Sacre to see if the light switch flips to on. But as far as him being part of a rotation, he hasn't shown the consistency necessary. End of the day, the Lakers are going to have plenty of young guys to develop, so it may be best that they just cut him loose and concentrate on guys like Clarkson, Randle and Towns/Okafor/Russell/Mudiay.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We shall see. He may fit on the end of the bench with Sacre, but the front court spots are filling up fast.