• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Little FA News

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ole jimmy Butler turned down a $44 million dollar contract back during the season and now he has let it be known he is going to turn down a $90 million contract offer by the Bulls. Some of these guys have over-exaggerated opinions of their skills. He'd better be careful or he might price himself out of a job.

I think Jimmy might just be right for a max this season if the Lakers offer it to him. Cap goes up significantly in 2016 and Kobes contract goes off the books to get another couple of stars then.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ole jimmy Butler turned down a $44 million dollar contract back during the season and now he has let it be known he is going to turn down a $90 million contract offer by the Bulls. Some of these guys have over-exaggerated opinions of their skills. He'd better be careful or he might price himself out of a job.

Him turning that down is a good thing. He's said to be intrigued with the idea of playing for the Lakers. If he accepted that offer, the Lakers wouldn't get a shot at him. If he follows through and turns it down, the Lakers will have a shot, especially if he wants out of Chicago.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was that I am not sure he's that good and he certainly isn't worth those numbers even if he does want out of Chicago. But like a sportscaster once told me, worth is what somebody is willing to pay. So if some rich dude(s) like the Buss family want to fall for this guy, all the power to them, I guess.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was that I am not sure he's that good and he certainly isn't worth those numbers even if he does want out of Chicago. But like a sportscaster once told me, worth is what somebody is willing to pay. So if some rich dude(s) like the Buss family want to fall for this guy, all the power to them, I guess.

What do you see as his flaws? He's a two way player (that happens to be elite on defense) and has improved significantly every year he's been in the league. So it's a safe bet that he'll definitely get the max from someone when he hits the market. What he's doing is smart. He's trying to delay his long term deal so he can sign it in 2016 or 2017, when the cap will rise dramatically and a max contract would bring him millions more than what he'd make if he signed a long term deal now.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO!! NO!! NO!! Keep Swaggy. :lol:

Seriously though, I like that idea. IF (big if, obviously) Butler were to become a Laker. We could have a starting lineup of:

C - Towns/Okafor
PF - Randle
SF - Butler
SG - Kobe
PG - Clarkson

You'd have an interesting mix of vets and young guys. There would be some growing pains, some mean mugging/frustrated looks from Kobe, but if that group can gel relatively quickly, they could make the playoffs and maybe even do a little damage.

Then, when Kobe retires, they can go after Westbrook or someone to replace him.

Okafor, Randal, and Butler?? :markmay:

He'd have to just eat it! That's a nice core!!

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee is under contract, so it would have to be a trade (and he makes far too much, approx $15m).

Bulls will match any offer to Jimmy Butler, so he's off the table. Even if he doesn't want to be in Chicago, the Bulls will still match and then perhaps trade him if forced to get assets in return. Giving up the #2 or Randle/Clarkson will definitely be part of the cost to trade for him, so that's unrealistic as well.

The only glimmer of hope created by his statement of interest in the Lakers is that he may consider the Lakers when he is a UFA after this next contract.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee is under contract, so it would have to be a trade (and he makes far too much, approx $15m).

Bulls will match any offer to Jimmy Butler, so he's off the table. Even if he doesn't want to be in Chicago, the Bulls will still match and then perhaps trade him if forced to get assets in return. Giving up the #2 or Randle/Clarkson will definitely be part of the cost to trade for him, so that's unrealistic as well.

The only glimmer of hope created by his statement of interest in the Lakers is that he may consider the Lakers when he is a UFA after this next contract.

I believe that this coming season is Lee's last under the current deal. Whether the Lakers can trade for him or not would depend, obviously, on what the Warriors will accept in return. Lee has shown he can still play, so getting him on an expiring contract wouldn't be too bad. Especially as a "last resort" to fill a position of need.

Maybe the #27 or #34 plus a player (Hill or Swaggy) for Lee? Also, he's 32, but doesn't have a ton of mileage on him. He could be a good veteran presence for the young guys.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Was just gonna mention this. I looked at his awful contract and said, no thank you!!

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that this coming season is Lee's last under the current deal. Whether the Lakers can trade for him or not would depend, obviously, on what the Warriors will accept in return. Lee has shown he can still play, so getting him on an expiring contract wouldn't be too bad. Especially as a "last resort" to fill a position of need.

Maybe the #27 or #34 plus a player (Hill or Swaggy) for Lee? Also, he's 32, but doesn't have a ton of mileage on him. He could be a good veteran presence for the young guys.

I wouldn't use up valuable cap space to get Lee, who will only take minutes away from Randle.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't use up valuable cap space to get Lee, who will only take minutes away from Randle.

With what I would propose if I were the Lakers wouldn't be much of a cap hit at all. Here's what I mean.

On taking minutes from Randle: Randle isn't going to be playing 48 minutes per game, so someone needs to back him up. Plus, we don't know how good he really is since he was out for the season in the first game. If he turns out to be the player we think he is, great. Lee comes off the bench. If he turns out not to be as good or needs to develop more, Lee can start and Randle can come off the bench.

If the Lakers did trade for Lee, then they should send Jordan Hill to GSW in the trade. Lee will be in the final year of his deal and making $15 million. Hill will make $9 million. Cap hit ends up being $6 million, leaving plenty of cap space for a max FA. If the Lakers can throw Swaggy into the deal, it would be even better. Add his $4.5 million(?) to Hill's $9 million and the Lakers end up with a cap hit of only $1.5 million.

After next season, the cap goes way up and Kobe comes off the books. If Lee plays well, he can be re-signed (at less than $15 million) and if he doesn't, the Lakers let him walk as a UFA.

End of the day, who knows if the Lakers are even interested? Fun to speculate though.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, several venues are reporting that both James and Love are opting out of their contracts. James is expected to re-sign but not so fast. Love on the other hand is not expected to re-sign. Along with all the other FAs and their brother, perhaps Love will be the one max contract the Lakers put forth. I think despite this development, the Lakers will still keep the number two and proceed.

LeBron James, Kevin Love expected to opt out of contracts with Cavaliers - SBNation.com