• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Banister open to suggestions to help his team improve | texasrangers.com

I am liking a lot of things I am reading about Banister so far.

Rangers manager Jeff Banister said he'll take input from his coaches, scouts and front-office officials on each Spring Training game and relay the info to his team before the next game. He'll use a similar formula before the start of each series when the regular season begins.

The floor will be open to players to speak during the meetings, Banister said.

"Essentially, we are scouting ourselves for the positives and for the negatives," Banister said. "And then it gets turned over to the Major League staff and we do the same thing. It's about our perspective of what we see in the game."

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand stats at this point are meaningless, but it is odd that we currently have 8 hitters with an OPS at or above 1.000 and they are all listed as either Left Fielders or Catchers.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was 12-3. Getting 3-hit (1 each by Smolinski (HR), Alfaro and Cantwell whoever he is) by 6 pitchers of any kind is depressing ... especially with only 3 of them on their 40man.

Still say that Smolinski is worth taking a good look at. I like Rua but what Smolinski did last year which was above what he has done in the minors was impressive.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still say that Smolinski is worth taking a good look at. I like Rua but what Smolinski did last year which was above what he has done in the minors was impressive.

I'm still not convinced by Smolinski.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, could we please just see some signs of life from Fielder. Please???

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still not convinced by Smolinski.

I never was before and had liked Rua since Hickory but I liked how Smolinski carried himself. And I think he could play both COF spots well.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was 12-3. Getting 3-hit (1 each by Smolinski (HR), Alfaro and Cantwell whoever he is) by 6 pitchers of any kind is depressing ... especially with only 3 of them on their 40man.

Thorough beating, don't care if it is ST, its pretty sad with 3 hits. Tepesch starting this ST just as bad as last year if not worse

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thorough beating, don't care if it is ST, its pretty sad with 3 hits. Tepesch starting this ST just as bad as last year if not worse

Spring Training results are pretty irrelevant, but you are absolutely right. So far, they are picking up right where they left off in 2014. They're not scoring any runs, they're getting clobbered, and Yu is already having an MRI done.

I sure hope they're just getting the kinks worked out now and that they somehow flip the switch in April.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' Nick Tepesch gets crushed in first spring start

Rangers pitcher Nick Tepesch got destroyed in his first spring start on Friday.

Tepesch allowed seven runs on seven hits over just 1 1/3 innings. He walked one and did not strike out any batters during the outing. Tepesch is competing for a spot in the team's rotation, but didn't make the best impression. It's still early in camp, and Tepesch admitted he was trying to be aggressive during the outing.

"I was just trying to attack hitters and get ahead of hitters," Tepesch said. "They took advantage of my mistakes. I didn't really have good command. They put some good swings on some balls."

The 26-year-old posted a 4.36 ERA over 126 innings last year.

They put some good swings on some balls Nick? How about almost every ball? More like the hitters attacked you. Good thing you got out of there when you did.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Maybe Choice finally catches up to his hype. TEX isn't going to the WS because of Ludwick or Schierholtz. Would rather TEX went with Rua and Smolinski both along with Martin, DeShields and Choo. Let Smolinski platoon with Mitch at DH.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Choice finally catches up to his hype. TEX isn't going to the WS because of Ludwick or Schierholtz. Would rather TEX went with Rua and Smolinski both along with Martin, DeShields and Choo. Let Smolinski platoon with Mitch at DH.

I know where you're coming from. But I do like the idea of having an established veteran as a backup, just from the mental aspect of the game.

And wasn't most of the hype surrounding MC from the likes of us? Local, big strong kid, who had a nice spring camp, and "bam" the hype machine cranked up.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know where you're coming from. But I do like the idea of having an established veteran as a backup, just from the mental aspect of the game.

And wasn't most of the hype surrounding MC from the likes of us? Local, big strong kid, who had a nice spring camp, and "bam" the hype machine cranked up.

Normally I would agree with you but the vets we are talking about here just do not excite me. And one of Rua or Smolinski will be stuck forever in AAA because there will be no spot for them unless an injury occurs so in other words we are not grooming them to be a big part of our future. So let someone like Smolinski spell Rua or Choo or DH. I just kept waiting for Smolinski to come back down to earth last year and he just wouldn't.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree but let's extend the list.

LOL! No kidding. And that includes our pitching. But they are just working on some things so there is no reason for concern. Yeah, whatever. Seems there are many other teams with pitchers who are working on things and getting good results.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL! No kidding. And that includes our pitching. But they are just working on some things so there is no reason for concern. Yeah, whatever. Seems there are many other teams with pitchers who are working on things and getting good results.

Always bought into, don't worry about results they are just "working on things", its only ST. That to a degree is true, however although this is the first week of actual games, I believe the intent of players is to perform well even when working on things. Rangers have had springs in the past where I didn't think results were as important, this year I think it is very important to see guys have some success in camp. Results that translates to their MLB success is going to go a long way. Yeah I know Choice had a good spring last year and that meant nothing really, but I'm more interested in pitching to a degree

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't worry about our pitching. Especially not right now. However, I do worry that other teams are crushing our pitching because our guys are just working on being around the plate while we're getting 3 hit by other pitchers who are in the same boat. What gives?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry about our pitching. Especially not right now. However, I do worry that other teams are crushing our pitching because our guys are just working on being around the plate while we're getting 3 hit by other pitchers who are in the same boat. What gives?

Damn good question. The former is of no consequence if the latter weren't true.

I don't worry about guys like Beltre, or even a Chirinos in ST. But I do want to see Prince at least getting his bat speed going, Rua showing some pop, EA making good contract etc. I try not to bog down on the numbers. But again, we/management needs to see enough to feel comfortable with the 25 man opening day lineup.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meant to say.....EA and some good contact.

WE already know the contract sucks. :pound: