• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Baltimore Ravens Thread

How Far Will the Baltimore Ravens Go in 2014?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what I've seen and the depth they have, the Ravens are capable of 10 or more wins this year. But if they suffer any major injuries to the secondary or the O-line hasn't improved as much as expected, they'll struggle to win 8 games this year like last year. I hope Ozzie adds some depth to the secondary before the season starts.

This also hasn't been a good off-season for them as far as off the field stuff. I don't know how much or little, if any, affect that has on play or records. Ray Rice's suspension will obviously minimally affect them personnel-wise. So I feel for those two weeks, there will be constant articles on how Ray Rice is dealing with it as if he is a victim. Or that he is so good to accept his short punishment. People didn't like how people strongly reacted, making them feel that Ray Rice was the underdog. I get forgiving, but I don't get rallying.

Yeah I was a little disturbed by that. While I'd be willing to give Rice a second chance to prove he isn't that guy on the videotape that night, he has to actually do it first.

Psycho

Deranged Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First post here. Just seeing if I'm even able to.

Psycho

Deranged Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, I vehemently disagree with these 8 or 9 win predictions. I will reveal whether I see a worse record or a better one in a bit, but overall I think these are "safe" predictions that any Tom, Dick or Harry could make. So I'm going to make a not-so-safe prediction about the Ravens.

Also, throw injuries out of the discussion. I'm not here to speculate on whether the Ravens will get snake-bitten or not with injuries - that's pure chance. I will assume they have average luck with injuries in this post.

For starters, let's talk about why the Ravens missed the playoffs last year. In fact, better yet, let's RULE OUT the reasons they missed the playoffs last year.

The Ravens did not miss the playoffs because of the defense. Yes, on the surface it appears they gave up critical touchdowns late in games. But the truth is they GOT TIRED late in games and that's why they gave up those scores. The defense is fine, yes they bend a lot but they lock it down in the redzone. The special teams is fine as well, I'm not crying over Justin Tucker or Jacoby Jones.

The reason the Ravens missed the playoffs last year is due to the offense's inability to run the football, and the inability of the passing game to make up the difference. Period.

So let's talk about that. Why did the offense struggle so much? It's simple: they couldn't run. Why? Was it the backs got worse over night? Was it the offensive line? Let me answer those 2 questions: No and Yes.

If you can't run the football, and defenses KNOW you can't run the football, then you have GOT to have some incredible talent at QB and the skill positions in the passing game to make up those yards the running game can't get. Well, the Ravens have only a "good" quarterback in Flacco and they have 2 burners with limited intermediate route running capabilities in Torrey and Jacoby, oh and did I mention Dennis Pitta was out for almost the entire season? Bingo!

Having said that, the Ravens will finish 11-5 in 2014 and win the AFC North. (Wait, whut?)

If the first couple preseason games provides ANY glimpse into the Ravens running game, it would appear Rice and Pierce are finding lanes to run through with the addition of Zuttah and some other adjustments, UNLIKE LAST YEAR. This is huge. So instead of Flacco facing 2nd & 10, he's looking at 2nd & 6. But wait, we still only have Torrey and Jacoby who can't work the middle zone remember?

Enter: Dennis Pitta. Perhaps the most overlooked "addition" to the 2014 Ravens team. His presence alone now opens up the offense. And if that weren't enough, Steve Smith is a better route runner than Torrey or Jacoby. That's two very small, but very meaningful adjustments from a year ago. I'm not even particularly concerned about the pass protection issues we had last year. It's pretty easy to have pass protection issues when the defense knows you can't carry the rock and you have glorified #2 and #3 speed demons that can't hurt you unless they sprint 30 yards down the field. Operation: Kill Flacco is engaged!

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, I vehemently disagree with these 8 or 9 win predictions. I will reveal whether I see a worse record or a better one in a bit, but overall I think these are "safe" predictions that any Tom, Dick or Harry could make. So I'm going to make a not-so-safe prediction about the Ravens.

Also, throw injuries out of the discussion. I'm not here to speculate on whether the Ravens will get snake-bitten or not with injuries - that's pure chance. I will assume they have average luck with injuries in this post.

For starters, let's talk about why the Ravens missed the playoffs last year. In fact, better yet, let's RULE OUT the reasons they missed the playoffs last year.

The Ravens did not miss the playoffs because of the defense. Yes, on the surface it appears they gave up critical touchdowns late in games. But the truth is they GOT TIRED late in games and that's why they gave up those scores. The defense is fine, yes they bend a lot but they lock it down in the redzone. The special teams is fine as well, I'm not crying over Justin Tucker or Jacoby Jones.

The reason the Ravens missed the playoffs last year is due to the offense's inability to run the football, and the inability of the passing game to make up the difference. Period.

So let's talk about that. Why did the offense struggle so much? It's simple: they couldn't run. Why? Was it the backs got worse over night? Was it the offensive line? Let me answer those 2 questions: No and Yes.

If you can't run the football, and defenses KNOW you can't run the football, then you have GOT to have some incredible talent at QB and the skill positions in the passing game to make up those yards the running game can't get. Well, the Ravens have only a "good" quarterback in Flacco and they have 2 burners with limited intermediate route running capabilities in Torrey and Jacoby, oh and did I mention Dennis Pitta was out for almost the entire season? Bingo!

Having said that, the Ravens will finish 11-5 in 2014 and win the AFC North. (Wait, whut?)

If the first couple preseason games provides ANY glimpse into the Ravens running game, it would appear Rice and Pierce are finding lanes to run through with the addition of Zuttah and some other adjustments, UNLIKE LAST YEAR. This is huge. So instead of Flacco facing 2nd & 10, he's looking at 2nd & 6. But wait, we still only have Torrey and Jacoby who can't work the middle zone remember?

Enter: Dennis Pitta. Perhaps the most overlooked "addition" to the 2014 Ravens team. His presence alone now opens up the offense. And if that weren't enough, Steve Smith is a better route runner than Torrey or Jacoby. That's two very small, but very meaningful adjustments from a year ago. I'm not even particularly concerned about the pass protection issues we had last year. It's pretty easy to have pass protection issues when the defense knows you can't carry the rock and you have glorified #2 and #3 speed demons that can't hurt you unless they sprint 30 yards down the field. Operation: Kill Flacco is engaged!

Love the avatar, but your prediction is slightly safer than mine which was a minimum of 11 wins and a very possible 13 win season with a division win and a run in the playoffs.....
Welcome aboard , what board are you coming over from, just curious....Go Ravens

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just am not that impressed with Baltimore right now. OL wise they were one of the worst in the league and really did nothing in the off season to help ease anybody's minds on that. Offensive weapons wise Pitta seems like the only half way decent weapon. Torrey Smith is a guy that can be eliminated easier than most #1's in the league. Don't get me wrong he is decent but not a true #1 in this league. Steve Smith is a guy that is showing some major drop off over the last couple of years. He just isn't quite the guy he was say even 3 years ago where he was one of the top play receivers in the NFL.

Defensively they look to be a decent unit and if they make a playoff push it will be because of this group. Suggs isn't quite the guy he used to be. Dumervil is still decent but better as a situational guy than a starter. Not sure why they drafted CJ Mosley considering they resigned Smith and have Arthur Brown ready for his 2nd year looking like a promising player. Just seems like they now have 3 starting quality guys fighting for 2 spots which is good but when they have as many holes as they do at other places on the roster and there being quality guys still available in the draft at those spots Mosely just seems like a waste. Secondary wise they look pretty decent. Not a lot of depth but the starters are quality.

Really at this point Baltimore looks like a playoff team as long as only a couple of starters go down throughout the year. More than that though I just don't see them having the depth to overcome that. One of their stars go down and it might be good bye season for them.
Their defense will probably be the reason they will do well and looks like the best d in the division and the offense will probably be 'good enough' to go with the other two offenses in the division. Pitta and Daniels are a good 1-2 punch at TE assuming they are healthy and combined with Steve Smith, Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones...thats a solid passing game even with regression from Steve Smith. You can also knock Flacco but he is the 2nd best QB in that division.

On paper, they probably have a bottom 5 oline, still. There is a difference between having a bad oline and a godawful oline, though. You can live with a bad oline if everything else is in place (see: Seattle). A godawful oline tanks your whole team (Ravens last year).

Depth is the one thing that worries me about the Ravens. They look more injury prone than most teams...especially on offense. They'll either win the division or finish a distant 3rd.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now I will say the OL looks a little improved from last year. I wouldn't read too much into the first 2 preseason games though. The 49ers did not play a single starting DL player in the game so essentially the OL was going against back ups. I would be worried if they lost that battle. Dallas might have the worst DL in the NFL this year so again reading that you had success against them in a preseason game needs to be very little. Also Pitta did play the final quarter of the season last year and his addition really didn't help the offense score that much. Now given he was not quite 100% but not sure his addition makes as bit of an impact as you seem to think here. He is at this point I would say maybe in the top-20 TE's but that is about it right now. He has shown some promise but not to be a game-changer type player.

Also I would add the RB's last year were just as much of the problem as that of the OL. Pierce and Rice were both in the bottom-5 for yards after contact last season. So as bad as the OL was for the Ravens Rice and Pierce were not any help either.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their defense will probably be the reason they will do well and looks like the best d in the division and the offense will probably be 'good enough' to go with the other two offenses in the division. Pitta and Daniels are a good 1-2 punch at TE assuming they are healthy and combined with Steve Smith, Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones...thats a solid passing game even with regression from Steve Smith. You can also knock Flacco but he is the 2nd best QB in that division.

On paper, they probably have a bottom 5 oline, still. There is a difference between having a bad oline and a godawful oline, though. You can live with a bad oline if everything else is in place (see: Seattle). A godawful oline tanks your whole team (Ravens last year).

Depth is the one thing that worries me about the Ravens. They look more injury prone than most teams...especially on offense. They'll either win the division or finish a distant 3rd.

And maybe this is where we differ in I do not view Flacco as the 2nd best QB in the division. I would actually take Andy Dalton over him at this point. Dalton has shown improvement every year in the league so far and I look to that to continue with probably the best roster around him of any team in the AFC North at this point. I would also say the only Offensive weapon they have that impresses me is that of Torrey Smith. Jacoby Jones is a great special teamer but when you are depending on him on offense good luck. Smith being added in the off season is obviously a little intriguing but even being the focal point of the Panthers offense last year with lots and lots of targets he only put up 750 yards. He is regressing quickly in my opinion. His whole game is based on speed and physicality. Speed can disappear in a hurry and he isn't like Boldin where he can rely just on physicality alone to win match ups.

I expect Flacco to have another bad year and for the Ravens to start looking for his replacement. He has shown in his career that the more they put on his plate the more he crumbles. His one nice playoff run is about the only thing right now keeping him in the discussion of being a decent quarterback in this league. You look at his career numbers and they show a very much below average starting quarterback.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect Flacco to have another bad year and for the Ravens to start looking for his replacement. He has shown in his career that the more they put on his plate the more he crumbles. His one nice playoff run is about the only thing right now keeping him in the discussion of being a decent quarterback in this league. You look at his career numbers and they show a very much below average starting quarterback.
Wow. He has some of the most (winning) playoff experience you are going to get out of a QB and he is young enough to keep around for awhile. I agree that he isn't elite but he is better than you are giving him credit.

Dalton is the guy that will get replaced. The Bengals were stacked last year. At least Flacco won with his stacked teams.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. He has some of the most (winning) playoff experience you are going to get out of a QB and he is young enough to keep around for awhile. I agree that he isn't elite but he is better than you are giving him credit.

Dalton is the guy that will get replaced. The Bengals were stacked last year. At least Flacco won with his stacked teams.

Yes I will give it to Flacco he showed up well for 1 Post Season. Go look at his actual contributions to the team in those other playoff wins. He did jack squat. He had a playoff game where he went 4-10 passing for 34 yards and threw an interception yet his team won. To me that doesn't scream playoff bad ass. Now obviously that is his worst game but he has many that just about any average quarterback could have been in his place and done just as well and the team would have won. Now the actual playoff losses for the team you could definitely say he was a major reason they actually loss. His first playoff loss came to Pitt where they lost 23-14 and he threw 3 picks. Again for Flacco the less they actually put on his plate the better. Until their Super Bowl run he had been a very average (and that is being nice) quarterback that just had a great team around him. I'm not going to allow a 4-game stretch where he played pretty well sway my thoughts on him. Even with that great playoff run of every game having over a 105 quarterback rating he still has an average of 86.2 for his career. It should show just how bad he actually was before that 4-game stretch.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I will give it to Flacco he showed up well for 1 Post Season. Go look at his actual contributions to the team in those other playoff wins. He did jack squat. He had a playoff game where he went 4-10 passing for 34 yards and threw an interception yet his team won. To me that doesn't scream playoff bad ass. Now obviously that is his worst game but he has many that just about any average quarterback could have been in his place and done just as well and the team would have won. Now the actual playoff losses for the team you could definitely say he was a major reason they actually loss. His first playoff loss came to Pitt where they lost 23-14 and he threw 3 picks. Again for Flacco the less they actually put on his plate the better. Until their Super Bowl run he had been a very average (and that is being nice) quarterback that just had a great team around him. I'm not going to allow a 4-game stretch where he played pretty well sway my thoughts on him. Even with that great playoff run of every game having over a 105 quarterback rating he still has an average of 86.2 for his career. It should show just how bad he actually was before that 4-game stretch.
He does have an upward progression with his playoff numbers from 09-12. I'm not suggesting 2012 is indicative of his play but 2011 is pretty close. Flacco is generally a 7.0 YPA guy with a 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio in the regular season. Not great, not bad. Dalton look more like a 7.0 YPA guy with a 3 to 2 TD to INT ration in the regular season. And Dalton is surrounded with skill players and a great oline. And Dalton is terrible in the playoffs.

Flacco is definitely the better QB so far although Dalton can always improve more

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does have an upward progression with his playoff numbers from 09-12. I'm not suggesting 2012 is indicative of his play but 2011 is pretty close. Flacco is generally a 7.0 YPA guy with a 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio in the regular season. Not great, not bad. Dalton look more like a 7.0 YPA guy with a 3 to 2 TD to INT ration in the regular season. And Dalton is surrounded with skill players and a great oline. And Dalton is terrible in the playoffs.

Flacco is definitely the better QB so far although Dalton can always improve more

I guess I am going with Flacco has shown the type of quarterback he is in he needs playmakers around him to be successful at all in this league. While Dalton needs this too I just expect better things from him. This is a potential vs. actual production sort of. Flacco in 6 seasons has almost identical TD/Int. ratio as that of Dalton in 3 years in the league. Flacco throwing a lot less per game usually should mean a better TD/Int. ratio in the sense that teams are more focused towards the run game than him passing, yet we see even though Dalton has been trusted with running more of the offense he still can match Flacco's ability with better yards per attempt and his ability to put up touchdowns. Dalton has 2 of his 3 years put up more touchdowns than that of Flacco in his best year in the league. Now obviously touchdowns are not everything but it just goes to show how much more the Bengals depend upon Dalton to run the offense than that of Flacco.

Anyway judging quarterbacks is a pretty subjective thing...to me Flacco is one of the top-3 most overrated quarterbacks in the league all because of a 4-game stretch. I honestly don't think the Ravens would have resigned him (at least for not even close to what he got) if it were not for his Super Bowl run. That has to factor in a little as he did show up big when the team needed him most but I also watched those games and really he got pretty darn lucky more times than not during that stretch. He could have as easily thrown 6 touchdowns and 4 picks in that same time than what he actually did.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a potential vs. actual production sort of. Flacco in 6 seasons has almost identical TD/Int. ratio as that of Dalton in 3 years in the league.
Yeah, I threw out Flacco's rookie season and last season because Flacco was a rookie in one and last year he had the worst oline in football, the worst run game in football and a sub par receiving corp. Flacco with a team around him has proven to be better than Dalton with a team around him.

That said, Dalton has gotten better in the regular season every year. I'm just not sure how much of his success is due to AJ Green, 2 first round TEs, a top 5 oline, Jay Gruden, etc.

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man this is hilarious. Flacco has a 18-2 td-int ratio and 90+ Qb rating in the last 3 years he was in the playoffs so I don't know where this "only one good playoff run" stuff comes from. He played good enough for the Ravens to get to the SB in 2011 but Evens and Cundiff screwed them over. You wanna give Flacco crap for winning a game going 4-10, fine. Payton Manning won his only SB throwing 3 tds and 7 int and Big Ben had a 23 QB rating in his first Super Bowl. Brady's stats the last few years in the playoffs have been mediocre as well. Flacco's worst playoff game was against the Steelers as a rookie where he faced arguably the best defense since the 13' Seahawks.

Dalton has had better receivers and a top 10 D all 3 years in the league and still can't play better in the playoffs. Dalton doesn't play big in big games like Flacco can.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Still stinging, huh ? The Mile High Punk Slap....Joe to Jacoby, uh oh, TOUCHDOWN !!
jacoby1.jpg

always

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why we allow Quarterbacks to get away with down seasons. He had 18 TD's 22 INT's last season. Not hating on Flacco, I'm just saying.

He's been solid throughout his career except his rookie season where he predictably managed the game.

If an O-lineman has a bad year we kill him. If a CB has a bad year we kill him. If a RB has a bad year we say he's old.

If a QB has a bad year we come up with a myriad of excuses.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why we allow Quarterbacks to get away with down seasons. He had 18 TD's 22 INT's last season. Not hating on Flacco, I'm just saying.

He's been solid throughout his career except his rookie season where he predictably managed the game.

If an O-lineman has a bad year we kill him. If a CB has a bad year we kill him. If a RB has a bad year we say he's old.

They say a QB is the most important player, but they also say he's the most dependent player, too. He needs his oline to block, receivers to catch, and their coach must call at least competent plays. Oline has to have good communication with his peers, but they are less dependent. Most times they just need to make their block. Receivers are dependent upon their QB and by extension don't get the ball if the oline doesn't block, but route running and catch when it comes is less.

Now, I am not applying this to Flacco or any other QB specifically. Just saying.

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nobody here is defending Flacco's bad season last year. With the exception of maybe Torrey Smith, everyone on the offense had a terrible year. It happens sometimes. Trying to replace retired or injured players while other teams going after the Ravens because they were the champs, it's not a surprise there was a drop off the next year.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because its a team sport? C'mon man

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody here is defending Flacco's bad season last year. With the exception of maybe Torrey Smith, everyone on the offense had a terrible year. It happens sometimes. Trying to replace retired or injured players while other teams going after the Ravens because they were the champs, it's not a surprise there was a drop off the next year.

With all that went bad last yr, Joe was 1 game from making the playoffs for 6 straight out of the gate.
Hey. I'll take 5 straight playoffs runs, 3 AFCCG's and a SB win and one down yr anytime....
When you think about it, Peyton has been in the league 16 yrs or so and has no more SB wins than Joe.
And to boot, the one he has came against the super human Rex Grossman and a Bears team that did not belong there......Peyton seems to freeze in big games and Joe seems to rise to the occasion , so why is Peyton raved over and Joe questioned ?.......While I think PM has the greatest football mind and knowledge of the game, the Answer is, perception......PM looks brilliant during the season, and is a very charismatic personality, while Joe wins ugly at times and is a very stoic personality....
But champions are about winning when it counts, and that's what Joe does......Joe Cool, love or hate him, he'll still take your lunch if you get in his way......Go Ravens !!!!!!!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going with division because I doubt John Harbaugh misses two playoffs in a row and I don't imagine a one and done if they make it.