• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Baltimore Ravens Thread

How Far Will the Baltimore Ravens Go in 2014?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As explained in the Team-by-Team Thread, I am planning on making a thread every three days for a different team. The first few posts will be questions, requests for predictions, etc. There will be a poll unless I don't feel like making one. Some teams are less interesting than others.Please participate in posting articles, predictions, etc.

So far:

The Seattle Seahawks Thread - SB Winner.

The Denver Broncos Thread - Lost to SB Winner.

The San Francisco 49ers Thread - Lost to SB Winner.

The New England Patriots Thread - Lost to SB Runnerup.

The New Orleans Saints Thread - Lost to SB Winner.

The San Diego Chargers Thread - Lost to SB Runnerup.

The Carolina Panthers Thread - Lost to NFCC Runnerup.

The Indianapolis Colts Thread - Lost to the AFCC Runnerup.

The Green Bay Packers Thread - Lost to the NFCC Runnerup.

The Philadelphia Eagles Thread - SB Winner beat the Saints who beat the Eagles.

The Kansas City Chiefs Thread - SB Runnerup beat the Colts who beat the Chiefs.

The Cincinnati Bengals Thread - AFC Runnerup Beat the Chargers who beat the Bengals.

The Arizona Cardinals Thread - Best Record for a Non-Playoff Team in a Hard Division.

The Pittsburgh Steelers Thread - Next Best Record, Controversially Missed the Playoffs.

The Chicago Bears Thread - Same Record as Above, Randomly Selected.

The Baltimore Ravens Thread - Same Record as Above, Randomly Selected.

Last edited by a moderator:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bigtowel.gif

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how this Raven team is going to do...every year they look pretty good on paper...again they drafted pretty well, (I'm not that high on Mosley) but they pretty much stood pat on the OL guys...that was little surprising.

The DL is still one of the best in the league and that makes the job easier for their LBs...Elam with a year under his belt...the DEF is going to be okay...OFC...Pitta back is big, but I'm one that thinks Steve Smith is not going to be THAT guy anymore...I would have some concern there as a Ravens fan.

PIT gets them early...I hope they are slower out of the gates than we are and we can steal a game in BAL...out of DIV on the road...IND, TB, NO, MIA, HOU...2 wins...but overall I see them being 9-7 to 10-6...hopefully 2 losses to PIT...

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BAL seems to be unraveling this offseason... 5 arrests is unheard of under the Harbaugh campaign.

Still... The people in trouble aren't likely to be a decisive factor over whether they have a good or bad season since only Rice is likely to be suspended. Ray Rice is already replaced by Pierce. It would have been a committee approach anyways, so now we will see a heavier dose of Pierce instead. Should give the big-boy rookie Taliaferro (230 lbs) some goal line looks as well.

Their defense will definitely keep them in the race. It is loaded with talent, but the secondary is young. Like ATL said, their D-line is one of the best in the league, so that should help ease the transition in the secondary. I could see BAL surprising a lot of people and making a good case early in the season, but then falling off towards December. My guess is 9-7.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just am not that impressed with Baltimore right now. OL wise they were one of the worst in the league and really did nothing in the off season to help ease anybody's minds on that. Offensive weapons wise Pitta seems like the only half way decent weapon. Torrey Smith is a guy that can be eliminated easier than most #1's in the league. Don't get me wrong he is decent but not a true #1 in this league. Steve Smith is a guy that is showing some major drop off over the last couple of years. He just isn't quite the guy he was say even 3 years ago where he was one of the top play receivers in the NFL.

Defensively they look to be a decent unit and if they make a playoff push it will be because of this group. Suggs isn't quite the guy he used to be. Dumervil is still decent but better as a situational guy than a starter. Not sure why they drafted CJ Mosley considering they resigned Smith and have Arthur Brown ready for his 2nd year looking like a promising player. Just seems like they now have 3 starting quality guys fighting for 2 spots which is good but when they have as many holes as they do at other places on the roster and there being quality guys still available in the draft at those spots Mosely just seems like a waste. Secondary wise they look pretty decent. Not a lot of depth but the starters are quality.

Really at this point Baltimore looks like a playoff team as long as only a couple of starters go down throughout the year. More than that though I just don't see them having the depth to overcome that. One of their stars go down and it might be good bye season for them.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ozzie was foaming at the mouth when analysts started to compare Mosley to Ray Lewis... He probably couldn't help himself

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They actually did improve the OL quite a bit. Gino was completely overmatched at C and they had Shipley at LG last year. Those were two of the worst OL'men in the league. They get replaced by Zuttah (who is a very solid center in this league) and Osemele (who is healthy again and is a force at LG). Yanda also never fully recovered from his shoulder surgery and had, by far, his worst season of his career.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just am not that impressed with Baltimore right now. OL wise they were one of the worst in the league and really did nothing in the off season to help ease anybody's minds on that. Offensive weapons wise Pitta seems like the only half way decent weapon. Torrey Smith is a guy that can be eliminated easier than most #1's in the league. Don't get me wrong he is decent but not a true #1 in this league. Steve Smith is a guy that is showing some major drop off over the last couple of years. He just isn't quite the guy he was say even 3 years ago where he was one of the top play receivers in the NFL.

Defensively they look to be a decent unit and if they make a playoff push it will be because of this group. Suggs isn't quite the guy he used to be. Dumervil is still decent but better as a situational guy than a starter. Not sure why they drafted CJ Mosley considering they resigned Smith and have Arthur Brown ready for his 2nd year looking like a promising player. Just seems like they now have 3 starting quality guys fighting for 2 spots which is good but when they have as many holes as they do at other places on the roster and there being quality guys still available in the draft at those spots Mosely just seems like a waste. Secondary wise they look pretty decent. Not a lot of depth but the starters are quality.

Really at this point Baltimore looks like a playoff team as long as only a couple of starters go down throughout the year. More than that though I just don't see them having the depth to overcome that. One of their stars go down and it might be good bye season for them.

Maybe he will surpise me and be a stud, but Ozzie loves his Bama boys...at least on some depth charts...Mosley is the starter so we'll see how that shapes up.

The DEF will be fine...it's the OFC that I think will keep BAL outside looking in if they don't make the playoffs.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he will surpise me and be a stud, but Ozzie loves his Bama boys...at least on some depth charts...Mosley is the starter so we'll see how that shapes up.

The DEF will be fine...it's the OFC that I think will keep BAL outside looking in if they don't make the playoffs.

My money would be on Smith and Mosley as the starters. They definitely need Smith's experience in there. Brown has impressed thus far though. I'm really glad they have all three.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My money would be on Smith and Mosley as the starters. They definitely need Smith's experience in there. Brown has impressed thus far though. I'm really glad they have all three.

Do you consider it overkill though? I mean one of them most likely then is on the bench. I like Mosley as the Broncos tried to trade up and get him to play the MLB position but I just wonder if Baltimore put too much emphasis on one position at the expense of others. I mean I look at guys drafted after him that could have fit both need and value...His teammate Ha Ha would have fit perfectly into that FS spot that is lacking. Another is Pryor. Brandin Cooks could have been a nice weapon to add to that offense. He fits what Flacco likes to do with really pushing the ball down the field. Suggs and Dumervil are both now in their 30's...Maybe a guy like Dee Ford would have been a good one to start molding to replace at least one of those guys for the pass rush. Bitonio and Su'a-Filo both made sense for the OL. Probably could have traded back and picked up a few more picks while also filling a need.

I guess I just don't understand the Mosley pick in it pushes a starting caliber guy to the bench. I understand having depth but when there are other spots with huge holes and players that meet both need and value still available they just make more sense to me. Throw in Mosley has a pretty bad injury history so just seems like a lot of risk.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you consider it overkill though? I mean one of them most likely then is on the bench. I like Mosley as the Broncos tried to trade up and get him to play the MLB position but I just wonder if Baltimore put too much emphasis on one position at the expense of others. I mean I look at guys drafted after him that could have fit both need and value...His teammate Ha Ha would have fit perfectly into that FS spot that is lacking. Another is Pryor. Brandin Cooks could have been a nice weapon to add to that offense. He fits what Flacco likes to do with really pushing the ball down the field. Suggs and Dumervil are both now in their 30's...Maybe a guy like Dee Ford would have been a good one to start molding to replace at least one of those guys for the pass rush. Bitonio and Su'a-Filo both made sense for the OL. Probably could have traded back and picked up a few more picks while also filling a need.

I guess I just don't understand the Mosley pick in it pushes a starting caliber guy to the bench. I understand having depth but when there are other spots with huge holes and players that meet both need and value still available they just make more sense to me. Throw in Mosley has a pretty bad injury history so just seems like a lot of risk.

I think they all will play and with Smith's age, there is nothing wrong with limiting his snaps.

I think Ha Ha is the big Alabama bust everyone is waiting for and Pryor was not a good fit (pretty much the same player as Elam). Other than Jimmie Ward, I think Brooks was the best fit for them in the draft at FS. I think Brooks will be a better pro than Ha Ha. I really was intrigued with Cooks though.

I'm also not sure that they didn't attempt to trade back. There simply could have been little interest. I'm pretty sure they would have taken Zach Martin if Dallas didn't take him.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was a BPA pick if you ask me, but imo in a 3-4 it's hard to have too many LBs

I've seen quite a bit of Bama the last few years, and I just wasn't impressed with this crop of draftees...especially on DEF...a lot of teams ran on Bama LY...not totally on Mosley I know, but they got pushed around more than you would think...especially the Auburn game....love Elam, wish we had him.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they all will play and with Smith's age, there is nothing wrong with limiting his snaps.

I think Ha Ha is the big Alabama bust everyone is waiting for and Pryor was not a good fit (pretty much the same player as Elam). Other than Jimmie Ward, I think Brooks was the best fit for them in the draft at FS. I think Brooks will be a better pro than Ha Ha. I really was intrigued with Cooks though.

I'm also not sure that they didn't attempt to trade back. There simply could have been little interest. I'm pretty sure they would have taken Zach Martin if Dallas didn't take him.

From what I understand they were wanting a 1st this year, a 3rd round pick, and a 1st next year to move up say 15 spots. Last year Dallas traded pretty close to the same pick just for a 1st and 3rd round pick. So I think teams saw that extra 1st round pick in the deal and realized it was not worth trading up. At least that was the rumor of what they were asking from the Broncos.

I do agree Zach Martin going the pick before was the target for Baltimore.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For sure Smith will be the starter, they didn't just pay him to sit him under a rookie, and I really don't expect CJ or AB to even be a threat to him this yr unless he gets hurt......They will get on the field but it will be behind Smith.....More over, everyone is missing the new Rubix Kube offense and all the weapons Joe has to go to.....Once this group gets synched up, and that D stays solid, it's Katie bar the door.....I predict a minimum 11-5 season but would not be surprised at all to go 13-3, win the division and make a run in the playoffs.....
How's it goin' ,Money ?

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure Smith will be the starter, they didn't just pay him to sit him under a rookie, and I really don't expect CJ or AB to even be a threat to him this yr unless he gets hurt......They will get on the field but it will be behind Smith.....More over, everyone is missing the new Rubix Kube offense and all the weapons Joe has to go to.....Once this group gets synched up, and that D stays solid, it's Katie bar the door.....I predict a minimum 11-5 season but would not be surprised at all to go 13-3, win the division and make a run in the playoffs.....
How's it goin' ,Money ?

Everything is good OS. Just getting pumped for another year and a return to the postseason!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Ross is out for the season with a torn ACL. Tore it during conditioning test.

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll bite:

Barring any significant injuries this year, I could see the Ravens winning 10 games this year.
Obviously a down year after a lot of personnel and leadership left the team, they struggled in a lot of areas. The Ravens had the worst o-line (overall) and run game in the league and gave up the most points in the 4th quarter and still won 8 games last year. If they at least 2 out of the 3, they'll be in good shape.

My biggest concerns are whether the o-line has improved enough and cornerback depth. If Smith or Webb goes down for a long time, that secondary might be in trouble.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything is good OS. Just getting pumped for another year and a return to the postseason!

I know whatcha mean, Money.....I'm like a race horse about to break out of the gate, can't wait !!
I think we will see the greatest offense the Ravens have ever had.........Be well, brother.....

Gooooo Ravens

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@New Orleans, Cincinnati, @Indianapolis, @Cincinnati: Win 1 (2).
@Carolina, Pittsburgh, San Diego, @Pittsburgh: Win 2 (3).
Tennessee, @Miami, Atlanta, @Houston: Win 3.
Cleveland, @Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, @Cleveland: Win 3 (4).

9-7 to 12-4.

My guess will be 10-6, as they will lose one of the "wins" I have on paper and win two toss ups (I have these toss-ups in parenthesis). I could see 8-8 or 9-7, but would be surprised with 11+. While Harbaugh is a great coach and Flacco is sometimes underestimated/rated, I think there are at least 6 losses there.

This also hasn't been a good off-season for them as far as off the field stuff. I don't know how much or little, if any, affect that has on play or records. Ray Rice's suspension will obviously minimally affect them personnel-wise. So I feel for those two weeks, there will be constant articles on how Ray Rice is dealing with it as if he is a victim. Or that he is so good to accept his short punishment. People didn't like how people strongly reacted, making them feel that Ray Rice was the underdog. I get forgiving, but I don't get rallying.