• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deadwood

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's between Dan and Captain Turner, I'm sure you remember. I'll never forget it. I rewatch Deadwood about once every 2-3 years and actually ff through that part now, and violence on film usually doesn't faze me too much.

Gonna have to rewatch the series.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I acknowledge that my assessment may be a me problem.. just shaking things up a bit here. I do think it's very well done and appreciate the acknowledgement that Olyphant comes up a bit short in what is a very critical role and he does have his moments too. The rest of the cast is superb... even Powers Booth with his scenery chewing over the top villainy is believable as the character he's playing.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I wasn't so behind on new shit, I'd definitely move this to the top of my list to rewatch. It's so good.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I retract all of the negative things I posted about this show with the exception of Olyphant.. he srill sucks. Season 2 was tremendous though so many things were resolved in the final episode it sure seemed like a series finale.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Olyphant is the weakest part of the show. Every other main role is performed with incredible virtuosity and each script is a literary marvel. A lot of the script is written in iambic pentameter, so that's where the comparisons to Shakespeare come from.

Season 3 felt like it lost steam with the narrative, I'm betting because Milch and the cast weren't sure it was going to keep going. Other than that, a truly spectacular show for people who savor the musicality of language and enjoy great acting. Anna Gunn is a marvelous actor, and this was her first big role iirc. I remember when I first saw her on the Deadwood way back when, I was like "She played a fling of Nate's on Six Feet Under", another terrific HBO show that was airing at the same time. She's a real presence onscreen. And she proved it a little later with her work on Breaking Bad.
Finally watched Six Feet Under a few months ago.

The first few seasons were great. But it was hard to finish. I disliked every character by the end. Not as much as I disliked Anna Gunn’s Skyler White(who I wanted Walt to murder every episode), but they all were selfish assholes who I couldn’t root for at anything.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started watching The Following. Just the first 3 eps. So derivative of all of the Hannibal Lecter media/universe, but it's still pretty good. Some twists and turns that I didn't predict in the first 3 eps, and it's pretty good at keeping up the watcher's sense of paranoia.

And I started the live action Last Airbender on Netflix. I liked the animated series but I wasn't a mega fan or anything. I think the casting of the live action version is terrific when it comes to finding people who look like the characters. Some REALLY wooden performances, but not sure it would be realistic to expect much else since it's trying to be very faithful to the original. I think it's fine overall. Good enough to keep me watching, but not good enough to binge if that makes sense. Purefoy and Bacon really give it their all.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Started rewatching Deadwood the other day.

Had completely forgotten Nick Offerman was in it. And that he went full monty full frontal waving his prick at Al. lol