• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deadwood

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roger but the movie was supposedly 1889? Or I thought I read that.

They have been swearing since man was man. Likely before.

Deadwood was not Buckingham Palace.

Go back and really listen to how they speak in the very first episodes. Wild Bill is extremely Shakespearean to my ear.
I'll do that. I guess I never noticed the Shakespearean aspect; just that the dialogue was so well written. As for the time frame, Hickok was killed in August 1876 so the time is 1876.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll do that. I guess I never noticed the Shakespearean aspect; just that the dialogue was so well written. As for the time frame, Hickok was killed in August 1876 so the time is 1876.

I know all the pertinent details. The movie was 13 years later.

I'm a huge fan.

Likely my favourite series ever.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know all the pertinent details. The movie was 13 years later.

I'm a huge fan.

Likely my favourite series ever.
Fair enough but why all the nonsense about it taking place 20 years before WWI when the events detailed in the series happen in 1876?

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough but why all the nonsense about it taking place 20 years before WWI when the events detailed in the series happen in 1876?

The 1876 was Wild Bill. Show ran 3 years.

Movie took place in 1889. I ball parked.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 1876 was Wild Bill. Show ran 3 years.

Movie took place in 1889. I ball parked.
I see what you are saying now; that the movie takes place circa 1890 as opposed to the series taking place in 1876.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was pretentious. Trying to be Shakespearean.

I'm on season #2 episode #2 and I think I'm about done with it, though the dialog is actually the thing that's gotten me this far, though at times it almost seems like parody. Even Swearengen, a very compelling character, has become over the top repetitive and Olyphant as Bullock is just mediocre. Basically I'm 13 shows in and I just don't care what happens to any of these folks.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recently returned to HBO/Max as a streaming service and watched the movie. They did it right and was glad to see so many of the original cast members return to close out the show.

Well worth watching both the series and the movie.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recently returned to HBO/Max as a streaming service and watched the movie. They did it right and was glad to see so many of the original cast members return to close out the show.

Well worth watching both the series and the movie.

Calamity Jane is awesome. The one where she shares her whiskey bottle with the Ni***r General slayed me.

Last edited:

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Powers Booth's portrayal of his characters villainy is absolutely cartoonish... he does everything but twirl his mustache. Dude you already look the part.. you don't have to try so hard. I'm going keep going though. Maybe I'm not looking at this right... and between the Shakespeare like dialog and over emoting it's supposed to play like opera where everything is over the top.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Powers Booth's portrayal of his characters villainy is absolutely cartoonish... he does everything but twirl his mustache. Dude you already look the part.. you don't have to try so hard. I'm going keep going though. Maybe I'm not looking at this right... and between the Shakespeare like dialog and over emoting it's supposed to play like opera where everything is over the top.

I’m not going to try and convince you because you obviously have issues with it. But the whole thing worked on all levels for me. Swearing didn’t bug me. The way the dialogue was delivered didn’t bug me. And I thought the cast was stellar.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Olyphant is the weakest part of the show. Every other main role is performed with incredible virtuosity and each script is a literary marvel. A lot of the script is written in iambic pentameter, so that's where the comparisons to Shakespeare come from.

Season 3 felt like it lost steam with the narrative, I'm betting because Milch and the cast weren't sure it was going to keep going. Other than that, a truly spectacular show for people who savor the musicality of language and enjoy great acting. Anna Gunn is a marvelous actor, and this was her first big role iirc. I remember when I first saw her on the Deadwood way back when, I was like "She played a fling of Nate's on Six Feet Under", another terrific HBO show that was airing at the same time. She's a real presence onscreen. And she proved it a little later with her work on Breaking Bad.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on season #2 episode #2 and I think I'm about done with it, though the dialog is actually the thing that's gotten me this far, though at times it almost seems like parody. Even Swearengen, a very compelling character, has become over the top repetitive and Olyphant as Bullock is just mediocre. Basically I'm 13 shows in and I just don't care what happens to any of these folks.
season 2 eps 1-2 are where the show starts to cook for most people, so yeah, stop watching. it's not for you.

over the top is exactly what milch was going for and he wasn't shy with trying to hit the audience over the head with it. somebody (might have been you) said it was like opera, and yeah, milch's style has always felt like he was writing an opera libretto, even when he was doing Hill Street Blues, lol.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for the weirdos (sorry, but you are, and it's an objective observation) who aren't into it, you'll miss maybe the most intense and brutal fight scene ever filmed in season 3. your loss.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for the weirdos (sorry, but you are, and it's an objective observation) who aren't into it, you'll miss maybe the most intense and brutal fight scene ever filmed in season 3. your loss.
Damn. Now I have to rewatch.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's between Dan and Captain Turner, I'm sure you remember. I'll never forget it. I rewatch Deadwood about once every 2-3 years and actually ff through that part now, and violence on film usually doesn't faze me too much.

I was tingling after that fight.