• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BIG: Kraken Leaving Root, Going with Local Coverage and Amazon Prime (They're not paying the Mariners anymore)

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Mariners own Root Sports, so this means a loss of revenue, which WILL mean lower payroll.

We have Julio forever, and as long as he gets hot for even a month every season, he'll be the cash cow for Stanton et al. He will exist here to line their pockets, and they won't reinvest a dime of what they make off him in the team.

We have Castillo through 2028. Goodie.

We have a lot of fantastic young pitching under team control. I see Stanton keeping whoever does the best this year, signing him for way too much because who cares about the rest of the team, right?...and then bobbleheading and t-shirting and bandanaing the shit out of him, and trading the rest for cash and some shit players that the GM can spin to "fans" as gold. I can't imagine why Dipoto would stay here much longer, and yes, Stanton can find worse. Rest assured of that.

For those with a more positive frame of mind about this, what are the good plans that Stanton and the ownership group might make now?

Last edited:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Mariners own Root Sports, so this means a loss of revenue, which WILL mean lower payroll.

We have Julio forever, and as long as he gets hot for even a month every season, he'll be the cash cow for Stanton et al. He will exist here to line their pockets, and they won't reinvest a dime of what they make off him in the team.

We have Castillo through 2028. Goodie.

We have a lot of fantastic young pitching under team control. I see Stanton keeping whoever does the best this year, signing him for way too much because who cares about the rest of the team, right?...and then bobbleheading and t-shirting and bandanaing the shit out of him, and trading the rest for cash and some shit players that the GM can spin to "fans" as gold. I can't imagine why Dipoto would stay here much longer, and yes, Stanton can find worse. Rest assured of that.

For those with a more positive frame of mind about this, what are the good plans that Stanton and the ownership group might make now?
First off, I posted this on the series thread yesterday you slacker...lol.

Second, not sure hw much revenue it brings in to the Mariners but they said Mariners pay $20M for the rights. So I asked the question, is this a positive or a negative?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw your comment and I thought it merited its own thread.

Kraken's revenue was $47 million total last year, so if $20 (or up to $30 from what I've seen speculated online) was from Root, then why would they not renew their contract unless Root was making the lion's share of profit from broadcasting the games? That's half of Kraken's revenue or more gone otherwise. I'm wondering if there's a place with solid numbers out there as well, but I think we can all figure Root wasn't taking a $20-$30 million loss from showing Kraken games lol. They were making money to more than compensate for whatever they were giving to Kraken. $20-30 million gone from M's payroll per year is significant no matter what, though, and where else are owners going to make up that money from? Ticket prices and concession prices will probably go up, and I'm sure they'll keep on tightening by reducing the production values of games by not paying for Jen Mueller and others to go on road trips with the team. But it's a lot easier and quicker to slash M's payroll. It's what this FO does.

But I feel like the real story here is that the Kraken decision is the first domino in what looks like a clear and imminent fall of Root and other regional sports networks that don't offer a la carte service instead choosing to only be available with xfinity/comcast/directv/fubo. People are finally getting fed up enough with paying $100/month for regional sports coverage and not paying for it anymore.

Or maybe the 2nd domino, the first being what you ( think?) talked about a month or so ago about xfinity choosing to jack up prices due to declining subscriptions. People have had enough.

I've had conversations in PM's and with a few others on here and plenty in real life who literally only have the fubo/xfinity/whatever for root. I know for sure I wouldn't be paying for it unless the M's were somewhat in contention. I didn't for several years. 2022 was the first time I paid to watch M's games on tv in years. Couple the ridiculous price with a likely shittier team than we already have in the years to come thanks to the Kraken decision and more dominoes that are sure to follow, and I think we might be looking at an exodus of sorts. Something's gotta give.

Last edited:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kraken's revenue was $47 million total last year, so if $20 (or up to $30 from what I've seen speculated online) was from Root, then why would they not renew their contract unless Root was making the lion's share of profit from broadcasting the games? That's half of Kraken's revenue or more gone otherwise. I'm wondering if there's a place with solid numbers out there as well, but I think we can all figure Root wasn't taking a $20-$30 million loss from showing Kraken games lol. They were making money to more than compensate for whatever they were giving to Kraken. $20-30 million gone from M's payroll per year is significant no matter what, though, and where else are owners going to make up that money from? Ticket prices and concession prices will probably go up, and I'm sure they'll keep on tightening by reducing the production values of games by not paying for Jen Mueller and others to go on road trips with the team. But it's a lot easier and quicker to slash M's payroll. It's what this FO does.

But I feel like the real story here is that the Kraken decision is the first domino in what looks like a clear and imminent fall of Root and other regional sports networks that don't offer a la carte service instead choosing to only be available with xfinity/comcast/directv/fubo. People are finally getting fed up enough with paying $100/month for regional sports coverage and not paying for it anymore.

Or maybe the 2nd domino, the first being what you ( think?) talked about a month or so ago about xfinity choosing to jack up prices due to declining subscriptions. People have had enough.

I've had conversations in PM's and with a few others on here and plenty in real life who literally only have the fubo/xfinity/whatever for root. I know for sure I wouldn't be paying for it unless the M's were somewhat in contention. I didn't for several years. 2022 was the first time I paid to watch M's games on tv in years. Couple the ridiculous price with a likely shittier team than we already have in the years to come thanks to the Kraken decision and more dominoes that are sure to follow, and I think we might be looking at an exodus of sorts. Something's gotta give.
I think the Kraken did it because they did a solid to Root Sports and it also helps their exposure not being on there. They haven’t really grown that much so it is a win/win for them and the Mariners is the way I see. Though it does leave a hole in programming which will be interesting to see what happens.

Would be super cool if they could somehow run their minor league games, repeats not live.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Kraken did it because they did a solid to Root Sports and it also helps their exposure not being on there. They haven’t really grown that much so it is a win/win for them and the Mariners is the way I see. Though it does leave a hole in programming which will be interesting to see what happens.

Would be super cool if they could somehow run their minor league games, repeats not live.
nm, i'm probably wrong about this. thanks. looking into it, it seems like keeping showing the kraken might very well have resulted in operating at a loss for root.

Last edited:

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After hearing this news yesterday I went out and bought a nice antenna and will be able to watch the Kraken without having crappy streams cut out constantly.
This is how it was when I was growing up in the 80's watching Mariners games on channel 11.
The Kraken are lucky to get away, the Mariners are stuck with it.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought after the fact it needed its own as well.

Ya they said it was $20M and that the Kraken will be taking a hit. I haven't heard a reason why they left Root other than the article saying they wanted free TV for the fans.

Ya no clue what Root was making in revenue from Kraken rights. I would love to know.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nm, i'm probably wrong about this. thanks. looking into it, it seems like keeping showing the kraken might very well have resulted in operating at a loss for root.
That was my thought because why else would they agree to let them off? But it is the Mariners, so anything was possible.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying you are wrong at all. Just playing devil’s advocate when it comes to the money. Which I could be way off on since they don’t publish their finances. It just seem like a massive W for the Kraken even if they make less upfront money.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought after the fact it needed its own as well.

Ya they said it was $20M and that the Kraken will be taking a hit. I haven't heard a reason why they left Root other than the article saying they wanted free TV for the fans.

Ya no clue what Root was making in revenue from Kraken rights. I would love to know.
Viewership is down for them in their 2nd season was one of the reasons... They need a consistent, growing fan base and they were seeing the opposite happening due to the limited opportunities to watch their games outside of Root... I'm one of them... I got rid of Root because I was tired of paying Xfinity for cable when youtube.tv is 1/2 the cost... I just listen to the M's on the radio, which i'm enjoying quite a bit... Worth the savings of $80 a month ($960 a year)... Because of that, I haven't been able to watch the Kraken, nor get excited about them because I haven't been able to view them... I would be considered a new NHL fan because I never really followed it closely like I would if I had access to Kraken games...

Viewership is also down almost a 1/4 for the Mariners on Root since 2015 I believe... They're losing fans/viewership so I'm curious to see what they do w/ Root... Streaming app with a monthly subscription? Who knows...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Viewership is down for them in their 2nd season was one of the reasons... They need a consistent, growing fan base and they were seeing the opposite happening due to the limited opportunities to watch their games outside of Root... I'm one of them... I got rid of Root because I was tired of paying Xfinity for cable when youtube.tv is 1/2 the cost... I just listen to the M's on the radio, which i'm enjoying quite a bit... Worth the savings of $80 a month ($960 a year)... Because of that, I haven't been able to watch the Kraken, nor get excited about them because I haven't been able to view them... I would be considered a new NHL fan because I never really followed it closely like I would if I had access to Kraken games...

Viewership is also down almost a 1/4 for the Mariners on Root since 2015 I believe... They're losing fans/viewership so I'm curious to see what they do w/ Root... Streaming app with a monthly subscription? Who knows...
I am not a hockey guy so I didn't realize it was down already for them. Interesting.

I can believe it is down for the Mariners because true fans get tired of this ownership telling fans crap year after year. Plus the hike in pricing the last couple years has done people in. Root seemed like an easy money maker in the beginning but greed took over and did them in.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm totally happy with this. Lots of ways to watch every game and I can dump the Root package.

Kraken know they have maybe 2 to 3 years tops to expand their fanbase while they are the only game in town.

Once the NBA returns it gets much harder.

They have to reach every house in the northwest now.