• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Babcock given permission to talk to NHL teams - Update - Leafs it is!

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder at how big a run does St Louis take at Babcock? boy that would be some fire

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mike is a hockey man. He'll take a look what's out there, receive a few offers, and make a decision based on what is best for him and the rest of his career. As you get older, stability in the ownership box and the front office become more important. Whether the Red Wing haters like it or not, the Wings have that in spades. Oilers? Leafs? LOL! Buffalo? The owner thinks that Rex Ryan is a good head coach! My bet would be Philly and Ed Snyder.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think Babcock leaves Detroit, that many teams throwing money at him, he'll leave. He's been coach there since 2005, time for him to take on a new challenge.

Tomas Tatar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For being the biggest free agent coach in quite some time, this isn't a huge deal to me. Babcock definitely gets too much hate on Red Wings boards but hes certainly replaceable. Not sure how I feel about a coach thats been with one single team for 10+ years. Blashill is a top prospect in the coaching world. He's coached the Gus, Tats, Sheahan, etc.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mike is a hockey man. He'll take a look what's out there, receive a few offers, and make a decision based on what is best for him and the rest of his career. As you get older, stability in the ownership box and the front office become more important. Whether the Red Wing haters like it or not, the Wings have that in spades. Oilers? Leafs? LOL! Buffalo? The owner thinks that Rex Ryan is a good head coach! My bet would be Philly and Ed Snyder.

If you think stability and sound ownership = Flyers, then :L

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Babcock Watch: I have been saying for quite some time now that Mike will seriously consider being the next Oilers' coach. Why wouldn't he make that choice? Look at the young talent that they have there and in the fold, and guess who will be joining the flock? He's always been the type who, when he creates a plan, it's done in relationship to the 'whole picture'; and, as far as the Red Wings go, they have struggled far too much these last few seasons to many people's dissatisfaction. Moreover, when you look at the 'whole picture' with respect to how Ken Holland's mindset is for how that organization will go forward, it's pretty much on the side of developing through the draft that is the status quo of how they will be moving forward. Although the development of those at the minor league has gone quite well, it's not any surprise that many of those players who then finally take their roles in the NHL, for the most part, will still need time to develop, since the game at that level shows an entirely different lifestyle in terms of survival than it does at the AHL, OHL or QMJHL levels. Also, after seeing most of those sought by Ken through free agency in the summer say "no, thanks" when asked to come to Detroit, with that piece of where this team seems to be going and the recent struggles it has had on the ice, the writing seems to be on the wall in large letters. Mike is smart enough to know that in a situation to remain with this team and still not have enough say in the direction of where this team is headed, IMO, he will be headed elsewhere to a place where his opinion is taken at a much higher standard, and, to me, where else would a better opportunity be than to go to Edmonton, where they will get Connor in the draft and top picks in the other 6 rounds, and where players would be willing to go to a place where the younger talent seems to be quite promising to build a future on. Count on it, Mike's heading to Oiler Country.

Last edited:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports out of Buffalo that Babcock was getting a personal tour from the Pegulas of the HarborCenter complex (which, BTW, is a beautiful complex).

Obviously the Pegulas have the money to give Babcock however much he'd want, but whether he has any interest in a project team is a different question.

One interesting thing I didn't know until today is that Babcock and Tim Murray have a past relationship, where Murray apparently hired Babcock to coach the Ducks AHL affiliate back in 2000 and Murray was the Director of Player Personnel in Anaheim while Babcock coached the Ducks.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile, one of MLSE's jets made two trips between Toronto and Detroit on Saturday:

Photo of Gulfstream IV (N512JT) FlightAware

Did they forget Shanny the first time? Or did Babcock ask for a peameal sandwich and they sent the plane back to retrieve one?
They could've gone to pick him up (flight #1), bring him back to Toronto (#2), fly him home (#3), and return the jet to the hanger (#4).

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Babcock is just flying to all these other organizations on their dime to teabag their drum set.