• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Free agency and draft thread

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harris: "So Dan, you thought about it? Are you ready to work with JJ McCarthy?":nod:
Quinn: "I quit."
Harris: ".... you are flushing a GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY DOWN THE DRAIN! If you do come back, this head coaching job wont be here for you."
Quinn: "I hope... you're right."
Harris: "I am right! YOU'RE FIRED!"
Quinn: W-well I already quit, so.."
Harris: "No, you're fired. I write the book around here, okay? You walked in, uh... you're fired!"
Quinn: "Alright Josh, thanks for being so professional...."
Harris: "Oh I was very professional, you're fired."

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems the Steelers are likely. I dunno why... then they can get a really good receiver that Justin Fields can't throw to anyway? Whatever.

Other reports say maybe if the Chargers trade down and take both Minnesota's 1st picks. Take a tackle at 11 and then Aiyuk with the later 1st. Carolina needs help but it made no sense they traded Moore just to go get... another receiver who needs to be paid?

Almost wonder if the Pats are most likely if they take a QB... they have hardly any talent at WR... so a new QB and Aiyuk make the most sense especially given the Pats have a ton of cap. Could also see the Skins. Their wideouts suck ass (McLaurin is okay but prob. better as a #2). Both will have EARLY 2nds which might as well be a late 1st.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pure rumor, so I’ll just stick it in this thread…

It'd have to be a post 6/1 trade because a pre 6/1 trade the dead cap is $60M and the Chargers can't cover that. So I guess they do a trade with a post 6/1 designation (which basically makes the cap hit very minimal.

If it somehow can work (which I'm willing to bet it can, somehow) then I guess the Chargers at 5 take McCarthy or Maye/Daniels (if the Skins actually take McCarthy) and then load up on OL and WR with the Vikes picks which are two of the other loaded positions in the 1st round.

New regimes usually mean new QBs so it's not outlandish.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does this work where the Chargers still end up with mccarthy?

Vikings get Herbert for a post 6/1 designation (minimalize cap hit, what the Broncos did with Wilson)... given Herbert is still young and is a good QB he'd likely get 3 1sts, so both Minny's 2024 picks and then 2025 pick... (maybe they'd ask for more).

Then Chargers take McCarthy at #5 and have the 11th and 23rd to likely bulk up on OL (Harbaugh likes beefy OLs) and WR or even an EDGE presence if it falls (like Latu).

It's highly unlikely to happen, but I'm sure they could figure out a way to make it work... Herbert's cap hit this year isn't that big, so it'd be figuring out how to absorb the dead cap on the Chargers side. They can do a pre 6-1 trade ($60M dead, $30M cap room - and they are already taking $50M+ dead cap this year), but they could possibly absorb next year.

Again I doubt it happens. I think Harbaugh is hyping the F out of McCarthy so he can fleece someone in a trade at the #5.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pure rumor, so I’ll just stick it in this thread…

Sexy Super Bowl GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can’t really tell what is real and what is just smoke this week but I’ve been reading that the Eagles are a trade up candidate at 22 and that they covet CB and specifically the kid from Alabama Terrion Arnold.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can’t really tell what is real and what is just smoke this week but I’ve been reading that the Eagles are a trade up candidate at 22 and that they covet CB and specifically the kid from Alabama Terrion Arnold.

I think Philly is gonna be sippin' the Kool-Aid...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CB certainly makes sense, but Philly doesn't typically draft that way, right? I would expect them to draft a future need at OL or something in the first, although trying to project what they'll do is a bit of a fool's errand lol.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing with Arnold IIRC is that he is elite in man coverage but more of a projection in zone coverage. If you want a man coverage guy, its him. Cooper Dejean is more of a Cover 3 CB (seattle style) or a safety. Dejean from what I hear fits perfectly in Indianapolis so I suspect he might be gone by the time the Eagles pick. Quinyon Mitchell best I can tell checks all of the boxes so he should be first off the board. Maybe the Eagles want Mitchell to fall.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing with Arnold IIRC is that he is elite in man coverage but more of a projection in zone coverage. If you want a man coverage guy, its him. Cooper Dejean is more of a Cover 3 CB (seattle style) or a safety. Dejean from what I hear fits perfectly in Indianapolis so I suspect he might be gone by the time the Eagles pick. Quinyon Mitchell best I can tell checks all of the boxes so he should be first off the board. Maybe the Eagles want Mitchell to fall.
Everything you hear about Dejean sounds like things we heard about Branch. I imagine he spends most of his time at nickel no matter the scheme.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything you hear about Dejean sounds like things we heard about Branch. I imagine he spends most of his time at nickel no matter the scheme.
I could see that. I think Dejean has a higher ceiling than Branch but a lower floor.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see that. I think Dejean has a higher ceiling than Branch but a lower floor.
Branch without the speed concerns is something I would be happy with spending a 1st on. Lower floor is also a solid take, few are as ready as he was to step in and be high-level instantly.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The somewhat hidden value of Dejean is his return abilities, especially with the kickoff rule changes.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Branch without the speed concerns is something I would be happy with spending a 1st on. Lower floor is also a solid take, few are as ready as he was to step in and be high-level instantly.
The old PFF draft guy thought Branch was a top 15 player based on tape.

I think Rakestraw is in that 'Branch' range this year. Not a particularly great athletic profile but played well in the SEC and has a high floor if he stays healthy.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB certainly makes sense, but Philly doesn't typically draft that way, right? I would expect them to draft a future need at OL or something in the first, although trying to project what they'll do is a bit of a fool's errand lol.
So a break down today of Eagles picks in rounds 1 and 2 in the last 8 drafts. One CB in the first two rounds in those drafts.