• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency, 2024

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some quality FAs still available out there.

S Justin Simmons
S Jamal Adams
S Q.Diggs
Edge J.Clowney
OT Charles Leno
TE Ross Dwelley
OL James Hurst
DE Emmanuel Ogbah
DT H.Ridgeway

With the way the draft worked out, I don't see us bringing in a safety (barring injury), but we could sure use the help at TE (as Latu was/is a bust) and Leno is competent at OT. I remember Ridgeway working out pretty well for us at DT too.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
First, a team has to lose more players to FA than it signs. Then, a "secret" formula is used to determine what level of comp pick each team gets for each net player lost. Most teams have the formula just about figured out.

The questions are these:
-how many qualifying free agents did the Niners lose?
-how many qualifying free agents did the Niners sign?
-if the team lose more than it signed, the team gets comp picks and the formula determines what round the comp pick is
Chase Young played most of the season with Washington, who gets the Comp? Likely the 49ers but interesting situation.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
According to Over the Cap, and they usually have a good projection of comp picks, our signing of Floyd cancelled out the loss of Young. But we are still getting 2 or 3 comp picks (Darnold and Weorner and maybe Joseph-Day).
Unless Darnold starts for like 'half' the season, think net free agency will end up close to even.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So the logic (at the time) of getting Young for (essentially) free (he was projected as a 3rd round comp FA) did not come to fruition.

Not a critique (poop happens), just trying to simplify the transaction.
If you look at Chase Young in a vacuum, he didn't seem to finish well enough to garner a 3rd round comp IMO? So yes, we'll likely get less comp than the 3rd rounder projected.

But its not zero comp for Young when taken out of the vacuum, its just that who we signed made up for his comp value. Out of the vacuum is combining all free agents lost versus all gained.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There are some quality FAs still available out there.

S Justin Simmons
S Jamal Adams
S Q.Diggs
Edge J.Clowney
OT Charles Leno
TE Ross Dwelley
OL James Hurst
DE Emmanuel Ogbah
DT H.Ridgeway

With the way the draft worked out, I don't see us bringing in a safety (barring injury), but we could sure use the help at TE (as Latu was/is a bust) and Leno is competent at OT. I remember Ridgeway working out pretty well for us at DT too.
Following the draft, don't see us adding any more Free Agents save for injury later in OTA/TC.

Believe we've hit the 90 man limit yesterday, so the intent is to first see what we have in rookies and UDFA's?

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chase Young played most of the season with Washington, who gets the Comp? Likely the 49ers but interesting situation.
The Niners would get the comp pick, but it looks like our signing of Floyd cancelled out the loss of Young.