• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who Won the Draft?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,306.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be hard pressed to say it's the best, but it seems only 2 or 3 years back that it was regarded as one of the weakest. So the teams in the Norris have come a long way in a relatively short time. Should be a lot of fun following these teams in the coming seasons.
It's going to be ultra competitive.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To expand on the Love pick, Antoine Winfield Jr was picked a few picks later and was pivotal in the Bucs beating the Saints and Chiefs on the way to a Super Bowl win. Maybe they beat the Chiefs regardless but maybe not the Saints. Hard to say. You also have Tee Higgins who is kind of a big deal. I realize that injuries really derailed the Packers a bit but another stud player almost certainly would've put them over the top.

Also, one of the reasons you draft a QB is that the rookie contract is cheap. The Packers missed out on that value. Now they did set their franchise up well but I'd hardly call it a blueprint that other teams should follow.

Part of the reason was fickle ARod though. He's leaving, he's staying, he's hiding in an underground bunker, he's retiring, he wants a trade....etc. Was tough to know when he was going to pull that parachute.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears had a strong draft, but unless they're dumping Keenan Allen after the season, I do question the need for Odunze. They already have two proven target hounds and a reliable TE target, not sure how much that third WR is going to move the needle consistently. Kiran is an interesting OT prospect, but far from a sure thing coming from a lower level of competition. Austin Booker is also a developmental pick that played sparingly in college. The other pick was a punter. Lots of questions IMO.

I think those assets could've been better used with an Edge at #9 and a WR later, but just my opinion. Glad they didn't, since that helped push Verse down to the Rams lol.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears had a strong draft, but unless they're dumping Keenan Allen after the season, I do question the need for Odunze. They already have two proven target hounds and a reliable TE target, not sure how much that third WR is going to move the needle consistently. Kiran is an interesting OT prospect, but far from a sure thing coming from a lower level of competition. Austin Booker is also a developmental pick that played sparingly in college. The other pick was a punter. Lots of questions IMO.

I think those assets could've been better used with an Edge at #9 and a WR later, but just my opinion. Glad they didn't, since that helped push Verse down to the Rams lol.
There's obviously gonna be a wait-n-see when it comes to whether or not Allen gets an extension. Early word around Chitown is that our GM, Ryan Poles, has been more than willing to discuss an extension for him. Allen does have a tendency to get injured and has rarely played in every game during each of his 11 seasons in the league. But damned if he isn't super productive when he's on the field.

As to a more pressing need at the Edge spot, no doubt, we could use a bonified, proven pass rusher to compliment Montez Sweat on the other side of the line. But Poles has proven during his brief tenure that he's strictly a BPA guy. Be rest assured there was no one higher on his board than Odunze when the Bears were on the clock at #9. Keep in mind this is for the long haul. Even if Allen does get inked to an extension - no guarantee there - Odunze will be around a lot longer.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love came out a year early, he was 21 or 22 years old. He was also pick #26. His knock was he would need a minimum of 1 year to sit and learn due to his decision making (Interceptions) mostly.

Again, I'm not mocking Pennix I like him. I just think that pick for Atl at that time was dumb. I'm certainly not on an island with that statement.

So not sure Love/Pennix comparison is a good one minus he'll be expected to sit behind a proven starter.

Cousins is older and no idea how he will even be after that injury he is recovering from.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins is older and no idea how he will even be after that injury he is recovering from.
Sure, but that's when most teams select a young back up that has potential. Hell they could've waited multiple rounds and selected Milton.

I hope Atl draft strategy isn't draft for potential injuries.

Again the majority of pundints along with most of us armchair GMs agree with me.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's obviously gonna be a wait-n-see when it comes to whether or not Allen gets an extension. Early word around Chitown is that our GM, Ryan Poles, has been more than willing to discuss an extension for him. Allen does have a tendency to get injured and has rarely played in every game during each of his 11 seasons in the league. But damned if he isn't super productive when he's on the field.

As to a more pressing need at the Edge spot, no doubt, we could use a bonified, proven pass rusher to compliment Montez Sweat on the other side of the line. But Poles has proven during his brief tenure that he's strictly a BPA guy. Be rest assured there was no one higher on his board than Odunze when the Bears were on the clock at #9. Keep in mind this is for the long haul. Even if Allen does get inked to an extension - no guarantee there - Odunze will be around a lot longer.
I get the impression that Allen is going to be a rental. With the contracts being given out to receivers, D.J. Moore on the horizon for one and Odunze in the fold, you can let Keenan walk after year one, scoop up a 5th round comp pick and still be sitting awfully pretty. Having all those weapons on day 1 for Caleb is only going to help ease the transition and let Caleb trust his guys en route to plenty of success. That'll be worth a whole lot.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles stand out as having a strong draft - getting both Mitchell and DeJean should be really good for them.

I think the Raiders had a good draft - Bowers is a stud and they got Powers-Johnson in the 2nd when I had him projected as a 1st round pick.
I have no qualms with the way they handled their draft. I liked that they were able to select the top DB on their board at 22.

However, it’s way too early to be saying that any team won the draft. Not picking on you. It’s a pet peeve of mine that every year the media around the NFL wants to declare winners and losers before any of these guys play.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the impression that Allen is going to be a rental. With the contracts being given out to receivers, D.J. Moore on the horizon for one and Odunze in the fold, you can let Keenan walk after year one, scoop up a 5th round comp pick and still be sitting awfully pretty. Having all those weapons on day 1 for Caleb is only going to help ease the transition and let Caleb trust his guys en route to plenty of success. That'll be worth a whole lot.
Funny, I've been getting that same feeling as the days roll on. Your layout is logical. I'm pretty sure the Bears didn't draft Odunze to be 3rd banana for any length of time. 1st year, yeah, but beyond that? Poles and even Allen will likely take a wait-n-see approach and see how this all plays out.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, I've been getting that same feeling as the days roll on. Your layout is logical. I'm pretty sure the Bears didn't draft Odunze to be 3rd banana for any length of time. 1st year, yeah, but beyond that? Poles and even Allen will likely take a wait-n-see approach and see how this all plays out.
You might give him a two or three year deal so his contract is up near the end of Odunze’s rookie contract. He will be expensive though.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears and Steelers both did really well imo.
Steelers didn't have a 'sexy' draft which the masses look for... But I am absolutely ecstatic. Hoping they finally fixed the OL which was top priority after getting rid of Matt Canada's bum ass.

And Roman Wilson & Payton Wilson... oh my

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers didn't have a 'sexy' draft which the masses look for... But I am absolutely ecstatic. Hoping they finally fixed the OL which was top priority after getting rid of Matt Canada's bum ass.

Steelers draft was very underrated. I wish the Niners draft looked more like the Steelers'.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers draft was very underrated. I wish the Niners draft looked more like the Steelers'.
Getting 4 potential starters is almost unheard of these days... But the Steelers might have pulled it off.

But that isn't exactly a pat on the back, because they had a lot of holes to fill lol

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Steelers fucking killed it.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Huh? I've heard nothing but good things from fans and analysts alike about the Steelers draft. I'm sure there are a few that will be critical, but all the post draft grades I've seen has given them an "A" for the draft. Maybe I missed the one that gave them a bad grade. :noidea:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? I've heard nothing but good things from fans and analysts alike about the Steelers draft. I'm sure there are a few that will be critical, but all the post draft grades I've seen has given them an "A" for the draft. Maybe I missed the one that gave them a bad grade. :noidea:
Seeing all these "who won the draft" conversations across social platforms & chat forums you rarely see the Steelers mentioned outside of the Steelers fanbase. Just lookin at this thread I see it took 4 pages before anyone mentioned the Steelers.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing all these "who won the draft" conversations across social platforms & chat forums you rarely see the Steelers mentioned outside of the Steelers fanbase. Just lookin at this thread I see it took 4 pages before anyone mentioned the Steelers.
Like I said, I haven't seen anyone that hasn't given them high marks for their draft. They are mentioned in just about every sports analysts as being a team that had a great draft. One analyst I read today ranked them as the #2 team in their draft results (they gave Chicago the #1 spot, but Chicago did have the advantage of having two top 10 picks).