• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Voynov has been charged.

KickSave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh well there goes my theory lol

Well...there goes a great career down the toilet.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next court date December 29th
Defense asked for dismissal or reduction
Judge denied

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judge: Kings' Voynov can be tried on felony case

The case is going to trial. One interesting from the defense is this. They are arguing that the wife sent a letter saying that there was an accident. And the defense lawyer asked the cop why he did not use a translation service to take the wife's statement.
Seems like they are pulling at straws.
But on the side note, let's say that for whatever reason, this gets bumped down to a misdemeanor, will that allow him back into the NHL?

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enjoy the KHL Slava. Too bad. The Kings miss you.

Ox

It will be a while before he can play at all. If he gets time, 9 years, he will be in his 30s by the time he gets out. I doubt that he will be in shape to even play in the KHL. If he does down the river, his career is over.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
This is a big blow for his career and sadly for the Kings organization.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he gets convicted for a misdemeanor he most likely won't be deported. Even a felony there is a slim chance he could stay.
The two big issues are: what was said in the ER and recorded by police. This is really the case. Since there was no translator this will be they only way to defeat the lost in translation defense.
And they said she was punched at a party. Who was there and what did they see. If this party had other Kings players or staff at it, will they have to testify against their teammate?

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be a while before he can play at all. If he gets time, 9 years, he will be in his 30s by the time he gets out. I doubt that he will be in shape to even play in the KHL. If he does down the river, his career is over.

I would really be surprised if he got the maximum penalty for a first offense. He'd have to get a woman judge who'd been beaten up by her husband.

Ox

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not good news at all, lots of details that we weren't privy too when this initially happened. I was thinking it would be dropped down to a misdemeanor, maybe a wobbler (felony at fiirst, misdemeanor after completed court ordered stuff, eventually expunged) but if he truly did assault her like that he is dust.

Pretty sure his career with the Kings at least is over. Too bad too, he was a solid player, more proof you never know what goes on behind closed doors. The thing that struck me was how does a police officer know there has been DV before? Holes in walls? Broken stuff? Who's to say those weren't accidents or anything else?

There's always the chance he could get probation and all that fun stuff being a first time offender, but it's not looking good.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as they previous abuse, I am only guessing: She said he punched at a party. Guessing other teammates/girlfriends there. Maybe one of them said something.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tmz has a letter
If this is really her story then why do the recordings say otherwise

TMZ Sports obtained a letter sent by Slava's wife, Marta Varlamova, to the L.A. County District Attorney in November ... and in it she takes all the blame for the argument which she says started during a party at a friend's house where she was drinking -- but continued when they got home.

She claims Voynov was trying to go to sleep, but she kept pressing the issue and got physical ... squeezing his shoulders and yelling, "No, I want to talk more." Marta says he only pushed her when she refused to get out of his face. That's when -- as we've previously reported -- she claims she turned and smashed her head into a flat screen TV in their bedroom.

In the letter, she describes how profusely she was bleeding and says, "I started yelling because it hurt quite a bit and I was very worried about whether I was going to need stitches and worried about how it would look." She says they decided to go to the ER around 11:30 PM.

Marta, whose first language is Russian ... claims she repeatedly told a police officer Slava did not try to kill her, and she was not afraid of him. As we've told you ... she and Slava believe the officer did not understand her because her English is so poor.

In fact, during a hearing Monday ... police testified the she had said Voynov punched, kicked and choked her. So, it appears there was a communication gap ... or someone's lying.

Marta ends the letter by pointing out she's "heard about other athletes on the news" who did things that Slava didn't ... yet they were not charged. She's clearly referring to Ray Rice ... who got a pretrial intervention program instead of being prosecuted for punching his then-fiancee.

Despite her objection ... Voynov has been charged with felony domestic violence.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to be an ass about this but...

This could truly be a case of mistaken asault. Or it could be that she is being paid or worse she is being coerced in to saying these things.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to be an ass about this but...

This could truly be a case of mistaken asault. Or it could be that she is being paid or worse she is being coerced in to saying these things.

I think this is a PR stunt. If she told this to police we wouldn't be here. And if she took the stand and said this all might be ok.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is a PR stunt. If she told this to police we wouldn't be here. And if she took the stand and said this all might be ok.

I think that you misunderstood me. What I meant was that she is being told to say that it was her fault.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Voynov is in court today, and will set an NHL record for most suspended games (31) with the exception of Billy Coutu, who received a lifetime ban in 1927.

Longest prior suspension was Chris Simon (30 games) and the infamous blade stomp to Jarkko Ruutu in 2007.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that you misunderstood me. What I meant was that she is being told to say that it was her fault.

Not misunderstood you just agreeing that she is being told what to say, but I think she can't (won't ) say it in court so they leak a letter to the press.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dan Maloney got a 2 year suspension so Voynov is third.
All of these long ones were for on ice violence.