• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UNLV Basketball

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can say that again. I was pretty shocked at the lack of gameplan by UNLV. Satnford had the 3 falling all night but it seemed like UNLV dropped out early.

Also, saw where Tark is in really bad shape and fighting for his life.

I wasn't surprised UNLV lost the game but i was surprised at how badly they lost and how they looked completely unprepared.

AS for the Temple game I didn't think UNLV had a chance going into half time. It seems like i Dave Rice get out coached fairly often by lesser teams. 3-1 is a good start for this young team. Their first test against a good team failed, hopefully they figure it out to at least put up a fight against the more talented teams.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't surprised UNLV lost the game but i was surprised at how badly they lost and how they looked completely unprepared.

AS for the Temple game I didn't think UNLV had a chance going into half time. It seems like i Dave Rice get out coached fairly often by lesser teams. 3-1 is a good start for this young team. Their first test against a good team failed, hopefully they figure it out to at least put up a fight against the more talented teams.

I'm still not sold on Rice, ( the token white guy at the end of the bench) Pete has debated this with me, I just don't get a good feeling about him, I really hope I'm wrong, I want this program back to where Tark had it and people were scared to play UNLV....

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look I'm not sold completely on Rice either. I just think we need to give him some more time. First head coaching job, and his recruiting is obviously outstanding compared to Lon Kruger. Kruger is better coach, and simply doesnt go after one and done type players. So its a wash if you ask me. If we continue to be around a 20 win team for now, thats still so much better than they have been for so many years.
I dont think getting rid of Rice right now, makes any better, and they cant pay top money to get the best available guy out there.
If you look at Rice's winning percentage as a starting head coach it is up there with some of the greats. I guess what i am trying to say, is we need to keep our expectations in check and be patient that he will continue to recruit at a high level, and bring his coaching up to match.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They good at time against Albany. Watched the game online this morning. Finally Rashad Vaughn went off. They bet Albany fairly convincing through out. They should have. So far, 3-1 is a good start. They are winning the games they are supposed to win. We need an upset somewhere.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look I'm not sold completely on Rice either. I just think we need to give him some more time. First head coaching job, and his recruiting is obviously outstanding compared to Lon Kruger. Kruger is better coach, and simply doesnt go after one and done type players. So its a wash if you ask me. If we continue to be around a 20 win team for now, thats still so much better than they have been for so many years.
I dont think getting rid of Rice right now, makes any better, and they cant pay top money to get the best available guy out there.
If you look at Rice's winning percentage as a starting head coach it is up there with some of the greats. I guess what i am trying to say, is we need to keep our expectations in check and be patient that he will continue to recruit at a high level, and bring his coaching up to match.

I agree with your assessment of Rice. The guy can bring in the talent!!! Top recruits are great and recruiting classes are great but it does need to come with a mix of returning players to help ease and build the chemistry of the team in my opinion. (at least for most teams and coaches, of course there are a few exceptions.) Tough to do when you have a lot of guys transferring out the program or leaving early for NBA. What I would like to see from players is if you are not going to the NBA early I want them to stay at UNLV until they are ready for NBA or they graduate.

But I gotta give him some credit because my expectations for this season have been pretty low considering we have 5 new starters. And because they are all so talented I expect them to get better as the season progresses.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They good at time against Albany. Watched the game online this morning. Finally Rashad Vaughn went off. They bet Albany fairly convincing through out. They should have. So far, 3-1 is a good start. They are winning the games they are supposed to win. We need an upset somewhere.

Yeah Arizona State should be interesting. Looking forward to that game and seeing how we look. I like the match ups with the Pac-12 teams. We should be the underdog in that game and it would be huge for the team to pull out a win there.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with your assessment of Rice. The guy can bring in the talent!!! Top recruits are great and recruiting classes are great but it does need to come with a mix of returning players to help ease and build the chemistry of the team in my opinion. (at least for most teams and coaches, of course there are a few exceptions.) Tough to do when you have a lot of guys transferring out the program or leaving early for NBA. What I would like to see from players is if you are not going to the NBA early I want them to stay at UNLV until they are ready for NBA or they graduate.

But I gotta give him some credit because my expectations for this season have been pretty low considering we have 5 new starters. And because they are all so talented I expect them to get better as the season progresses.

If Khem Birch doesnt take bad advise from agents/whomever, we are a completely different team right now. I mean COMPLETELY. He and Rosco Smith both got the short end of the stick in the draft and could have made us a legit contender for the MWC Champs preseason. Not to mention the veteran leadership would be priceless right now.

I am just managing my expectations, and like you, watching for growth as the season continues. They have had some close wins, but no bad losses thus far.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Arizona State should be interesting. Looking forward to that game and seeing how we look. I like the match ups with the Pac-12 teams. We should be the underdog in that game and it would be huge for the team to pull out a win there.

Thats one of the games i was looking at as a potential "upset" game. If they can play up the their competition, they should be able to stay in that game til the end.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats one of the games i was looking at as a potential "upset" game. If they can play up the their competition, they should be able to stay in that game til the end.

An upset special sounds great. GO RUNNIN' REBELS!!!

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Khem Birch doesnt take bad advise from agents/whomever, we are a completely different team right now. I mean COMPLETELY. He and Rosco Smith both got the short end of the stick in the draft and could have made us a legit contender for the MWC Champs preseason. Not to mention the veteran leadership would be priceless right now.

I am just managing my expectations, and like you, watching for growth as the season continues. They have had some close wins, but no bad losses thus far.

Very true! Those guys would be huge right now.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASU baby, all right I'm calling it, they upset the SunDevils tonight....

I'm on Board!

Runnin-Rebels1.jpg

U N L V GO FIGHT WIN!