• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Thread formerly known as the CBS Daily

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The power Pads only ranked 10th??

Hammer, how can you allow such a travesty??

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good seeing ya back hammer. when are you done travelling like a hippie?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The power Pads only ranked 10th??

Hammer, how can you allow such a travesty??

They just got raped by the Mets for their lefty reliever! Dude was so awesome, it caused a tremendous drop in the expectations for the franchise. Now they'll be lucky to finish fourth in the Campbell Conference

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i got him in my draft.

pumped...hope he pans out.
If he can stay healthy, I think he's got the potential to be a superstar.

The eyes & dimples don't hinder his appeal to the masses either :dhd:

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Royals look oddly underrated

I think the list is pretty wonky, but I don't agree with you about the Royals. They played well over their heads last year and lost their best pitcher who accounted for almost 25% of their starters' innings. I would be surprised if they finish any higher than 3rd in the AL Central.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the list is pretty wonky, but I don't agree with you about the Royals. They played well over their heads last year and lost their best pitcher who accounted for almost 25% of their starters' innings. I would be surprised if they finish any higher than 3rd in the AL Central.
AL Central is hard to predict. I just think that a team full of young players should have some projected upside in it, too.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AL Central is hard to predict. I just think that a team full of young players should have some projected upside in it, too.

I don't disagree, but losing a quarter of your SP innings that also happen to be your best SP innings is going to leave a mark. Keep in mind, the Indians are also a team full of young players that hasn't lost important pieces.

The central is hard to predict, but I'm going I'm going with this:

Tigers
Indians
White Sox
Royals
Twins

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree, but losing a quarter of your SP innings that also happen to be your best SP innings is going to leave a mark. Keep in mind, the Indians are also a team full of young players that hasn't lost important pieces.

The central is hard to predict, but I'm going I'm going with this:

Tigers
Indians
White Sox
Royals
Twins
I get that losing Shields looks bad on paper because you figure those innings affect the rest of the team but I honestly feel like they have the pitching to absorb that. Your young guys have to put on the big boy pants at some point.

I also think its somewhat unlikely that they'll be so terrible at HR and BB on the hitting side of things. If that team figures out how to walk, with their speed...very dangerous. Power might always be somewhat of a problem for them.

Tigers have been a real problem for a Royals, though. I think they went 6-13 against them last year. They'll have to fix that.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AL Central talk?

GTFO!!!!

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Napoli's broken bat HR :shocked:

Must C: Crushed | MLB.com

yo922uqhqtqg0nlmg9bq.gif

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably won't stay there too long, but Kris Bryant is sent to the minors. I'm really looking forward to see what this guy can do when it's the real deal.
Kris Bryant, Javier Baez, Addison Russell sent to minors by Chicago Cubs - ESPN Chicago

And the Players' Association is not happy about the Cubs sending Bryant down:

""Today is a bad day for baseball," the Major League Baseball Players Association said in a statement. "I think we all know that even if Kris Bryant were a combination of the greatest players to play our game, and perhaps he will be before it's all said and done, the Cubs still would have made the decision they made today. This decision, and other similar decisions made by clubs will be addressed in litigation, bargaining or both.""

I can see why they want the rule changed, but they had to have agreed to it in the first place, so it doesn't seem that they have any legal recourse.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that losing Shields looks bad on paper because you figure those innings affect the rest of the team but I honestly feel like they have the pitching to absorb that.

Can you expand on your feeling? Right now, their rotation projects to be:

Ventura
Duffy
Volquez
Vargas
Guthrie

They lost almost 230 innings of 125 ERA+ pitching with Shields. I can see them getting more high-quality innings from Ventura and Duffy than they did last year, but not 230 of them. I don't think that Volquez, Vargas and Guthrie collectively have anything to offer to fill the void Shields left.

They're going to have a tough time absorbing that loss and if they can't it's going to tax their bullpen.

I will say that I am surprised that pretty much every MLB power ranking/projection that I've seen has the Royals somewhere in the middle of the heap with little chance of returning to the playoffs. Obviously, I agree, but I'm still surprised that no one has them playing in October again.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you expand on your feeling? Right now, their rotation projects to be:

Ventura
Duffy
Volquez
Vargas
Guthrie

They lost almost 230 innings of 125 ERA+ pitching with Shields. I can see them getting more high-quality innings from Ventura and Duffy than they did last year, but not 230 of them. I don't think that Volquez, Vargas and Guthrie collectively have anything to offer to fill the void Shields left.

They're going to have a tough time absorbing that loss and if they can't it's going to tax their bullpen.
Basically I see the Royals as a team with strengths in SBs, defense and the bullpen. I also think they have upside to get better at hitting and certainly taking walks which makes their strength at SBs an even bigger weapon.

I do think they can absorb losing Shields to a small degree but they would need everything to break right with their rotation. If we are being honest about this division race, injuries could end up deciding it.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Players' Association is not happy about the Cubs sending Bryant down:

""Today is a bad day for baseball," the Major League Baseball Players Association said in a statement. "I think we all know that even if Kris Bryant were a combination of the greatest players to play our game, and perhaps he will be before it's all said and done, the Cubs still would have made the decision they made today. This decision, and other similar decisions made by clubs will be addressed in litigation, bargaining or both.""

I can see why they want the rule changed, but they had to have agreed to it in the first place, so it doesn't seem that they have any legal recourse.
Exactly- they agreed to it so they should zippit. Also- what's the number of days he has to be in the minors? Like less than 2 weeks or something?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically I see the Royals as a team with strengths in SBs, defense and the bullpen. I also think they have upside to get better at hitting and certainly taking walks which makes their strength at SBs an even bigger weapon.

I do think they can absorb losing Shields to a small degree but they would need everything to break right with their rotation. If we are being honest about this division race, injuries could end up deciding it.

Fair enough.

I think if we're being honest every division could end up having injuries decide it. That's baseball.