• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
--Arizona State received tough news on Tuesday, as wide receiver Cameron Smith is going to be out for the season due to a knee injury that required surgery.

Smith was a solid contributor in his sophomore campaign, catching 41 passes for 596 yards and six scores. With leading receiver Jaelen Strong heading to the NFL, Smith was likely going to take over as the team's top receiving option along with running back D.J. Foster, who caught 62 passes for 688 receiving yards and three touchdowns.

Now, the Sun Devils will need other players to step up in Smith's stead.

While Smith will be missing his junior season, the hope will be that he can return at 100 percent in his senior season and continue to progress as he did in his first two seasons. While it was always unlikely he could have replicated Strong's production this year, he certainly would have been a reliable target for the team.

He will redshirt this year and two left.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
--Oregon will lose another offensive lineman this Spring. Redshirt Senior offensive lineman Jamal Prater won't return to the team.

Prater reportedly will have his degree from Oregon this Spring and will not stay enrolled following the Spring term.

This is a similar situation as with Andre Yruretagoyena, who is also graduating this Spring and not expected to return.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone else hear Neuheisel on Dan Patrick this morning? He was awesome. How does the PAC-12 Network let that guy get away?

On NCAA Tournament Brackets:

"Brackets aren't allowed in my house. My kids have to sneak to fill out brackets." Dan Patrick asks him why? "Check the resume' Dan."

On taking Winston or Mariota #1:

"For me it's a no-brainer. I take Mariota. His measurables were off the charts at the combine and he has no baggage. At best, at best Winston is an idiot and you're going to give this guy millions of dollars? Mariota's worst offense is a speeding ticket for doing 80 across the fjords of Oregon."

On Mariota being a "system quarterback":

"Then draft part of the system. Kelly has shown it will work in the NFL."

Also, gotta hear his song about March Madness. Hilarious.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone else hear Neuheisel on Dan Patrick this morning? He was awesome. How does the PAC-12 Network let that guy get away?

On NCAA Tournament Brackets:

"Brackets aren't allowed in my house. My kids have to sneak to fill out brackets." Dan Patrick asks him why? "Check the resume' Dan."

On taking Winston or Mariota #1:

"For me it's a no-brainer. I take Mariota. His measurables were off the charts at the combine and he has no baggage. At best, at best Winston is an idiot and you're going to give this guy millions of dollars? Mariota's worst offense is a speeding ticket for doing 80 across the fjords of Oregon."

On Mariota being a "system quarterback":

"Then draft part of the system. Kelly has shown it will work in the NFL."

Also, gotta hear his song about March Madness. Hilarious.

As far as Winston goes. Is it he's an idiot or just tremendously immature or a combo one is curable the other is not. I hear he really is bright when it comes to the Xs n Os and that he was accepted to Stanford.
He's right about Mariota. You take him you better run something similar. He's a great person but you just don't learn how to be a pocket passer and all the nuances of reading coverage and the timing in the NFL.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Winston goes. Is it he's an idiot or just tremendously immature or a combo one is curable the other is not. I hear he really is bright when it comes to the Xs n Os and that he was accepted to Stanford.
He's right about Mariota. You take him you better run something similar. He's a great person but you just don't learn how to be a pocket passer and all the nuances of reading coverage and the timing in the NFL.

Yeah, that's the thing with Winston, if he's just immature, no problem. He'll likely grow up (NFL veterans will see to that :lol:). But if he's an idiot, it's likely that he's going to have off the field problems throughout his career.

It's hard to say which it is too. Outside of the r*pe allegation, the crap he did was basically an immature college kid doing what immature college kids do. No one would have any idea that any of it happened if he weren't a high profile athlete. So that speaks to him just being immature.

However, with all of the controversy swirling around him, he kept feeding the fire, which speaks to him being an idiot.

As for Mariota, I don't think he'd have as difficult a time learning to be a pocket passer as many think. His mechanics are solid. Plus, trying to turn him into a pocket passer would be willfully ignoring his ability to use his legs which can be a big advantage. Obviously, you don't want him running as much in the NFL as he did in college, he'd get killed. But there is certainly room for a team to be able to use his ability to run effectively as part of their offense.

BeaverShaver

Blocked, Ignored, and Hated in equal parts (12)
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
--Oregon will lose another offensive lineman this Spring. Redshirt Senior offensive lineman Jamal Prater won't return to the team.

Prater reportedly will have his degree from Oregon this Spring and will not stay enrolled following the Spring term.

This is a similar situation as with Andre Yruretagoyena, who is also graduating this Spring and not expected to return.

while it is hard to see kids walk away, I appluad both of them. in andre's case, it was a decision based on his health. for prater, he was not likely to crack the lineup much, but one has to wonder if it is health related as well. I'm sure he chose the best future for himself.

you have to wonder how much more of this we will see in the future. as much as I love football, it is a gladiator sport and many of these kids end up with health problems that last a lifetime. if someone chooses health over sport, I will never be upset about it. good luck to Andre, Jamal, and any young athlete who decides to walk away to find greener pastures and long term health.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's the thing with Winston, if he's just immature, no problem. He'll likely grow up (NFL veterans will see to that :lol:). But if he's an idiot, it's likely that he's going to have off the field problems throughout his career.

It's hard to say which it is too. Outside of the r*pe allegation, the crap he did was basically an immature college kid doing what immature college kids do. No one would have any idea that any of it happened if he weren't a high profile athlete. So that speaks to him just being immature.

However, with all of the controversy swirling around him, he kept feeding the fire, which speaks to him being an idiot.

As for Mariota, I don't think he'd have as difficult a time learning to be a pocket passer as many think. His mechanics are solid. Plus, trying to turn him into a pocket passer would be willfully ignoring his ability to use his legs which can be a big advantage. Obviously, you don't want him running as much in the NFL as he did in college, he'd get killed. But there is certainly room for a team to be able to use his ability to run effectively as part of their offense.

From what everyone has said Winston came off great in the interviews and his football knowledge was praised. I have no idea if he will continue to do stupid stuff or not but Tampa will take him at #1 because he's the most ready.
I am not as optimistic as you are about Mariota. I just think it's too many years natural reaction to pressure to suddenly change. QBs who have been runners since they were in High school and all through college feel or sense pressure and they hurry the reads they move around and all sense of timing is gone and it's Oregon school yard football which doesnt fly with NFL offenses. Now if he gets with Chip he could just keep doing what he does but without that type of offense I dont see it happening. It reminds me of listening to NBA games where a team is up by three and theres a few seconds left . The right thing to do is not contest the two point shot because it cant beat you and to have everyone guard the three point line. But what always happens is some players follow a player into the key and leave a guy open at the three point line. The reason thats given is after so many years of playing a certain way its just hard to switch it off. You see it with Kapernick.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Letting RN slip away to the bigger guys was the death nail in that network IMO. He was the only person worth listening to on the young Pac12N. No reason to even tune in to their analysis show now.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Say hello to my lil' friend Sean Mannion...projected to go #3 @ the QB position...I've been sayin it all along boys...BEST pocket passer available in this draft...OWNS the PAC as well.

THIS is buy...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say hello to my lil' friend Sean Mannion...projected to go #3 @ the QB position...I've been sayin it all along boys...BEST pocket passer available in this draft...OWNS the PAC (except USC) as well.

THIS is buy...

:fify:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Letting RN slip away to the bigger guys was the death nail in that network IMO. He was the only person worth listening to on the young Pac12N. No reason to even tune in to their analysis show now.

I don't think they're just going to ignore the vacancy. RN did a really nice job, but I don't think he's the only one on the planet that could do that job for the PAC12net.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are other west coast guys that could do a decent job. And some shows that haven't happened yet, but should. Who wouldn't watch Dennis Erickson's Happy Hour?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they're just going to ignore the vacancy. RN did a really nice job, but I don't think he's the only one on the planet that could do that job for the PAC12net.
I've seen plenty of former coaches and players turn to the media and few have anything that resembles the self deprecation, candor, humor, personality, and the ability to present the game in an interesting way.

There are other former coaches on the network. Neuheisel was a surprise. Hated him as a coach and thought his turning to the media was a joke. I was wrong.

You can bring in 50 other guys and none will bring 2/3 of what he did.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fbschedules posted it's top 20 toughest schedules for 2015 based on opponents W/L records from 2014 so it is what it is, but.......

Two PAC schools made the list. Guess who's #1? Sigh...

Top 20

1. Washington – 101-56, 64.33%
2. Arkansas – 99-57, 63.46%
3. Miami, FL – 97-58, 62.58%
4. Alabama – 96-58, 62.34%
5. Kentucky – 95-58, 62.09%
6. Purdue – 97-61, 61.39%
7. California – 95-61, 60.90%
8. Auburn – 92-60, 60.53%
9. Michigan St – 95-62, 60.51%
10. Texas A&M – 93-61, 60.39%
10. Georgia – 93-61, 60.39%
12. Virginia – 94-62, 60.26%
13. Maryland – 95-63, 60.13%
14. Kansas – 93-62, 60.00%
14. Georgia Tech – 93-62, 60.00%
16. Boston College – 91-62, 59.48%
17. Iowa State – 92-63, 59.35%
17. BYU – 92-63, 59.35%
19. Utah – 93-65, 58.86%
20. Minnesota – 90-63, 58.82%

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The PAC network will survive.

I agree w/ @WizardHawk thT it will miss RN.

He was awesome.

They need to hire A grip of old school PAC legends.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think ASU was in top 5 FY14 (memory serves me as #3)so glad WA took the lead.

BeaverShaver

Blocked, Ignored, and Hated in equal parts (12)
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
until direct TV offers the pac network, it is dead to me

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
until direct TV offers the pac network, it is dead to me

:nod: Verizon has until May 20th (when my contract is up) to get PAC-12 Network and SNLA (so I can watch my Dodgers) or they're getting shitcanned.

Status
Not open for further replies.