• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

How Far Will the Pittsburgh Steelers Go in 2014?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As explained in the Team-by-Team Thread, I am planning on making a thread every three days for a different team. The first few posts will be questions, requests for predictions, etc. There will be a poll unless I don't feel like making one. Some teams are less interesting than others.Please participate in posting articles, predictions, etc.

So far:

The Seattle Seahawks Thread - SB Winner.

The Denver Broncos Thread - Lost to SB Winner.

The San Francisco 49ers Thread - Lost to SB Winner.

The New England Patriots Thread - Lost to SB Runnerup.

The New Orleans Saints Thread - Lost to SB Winner.

The San Diego Chargers Thread - Lost to SB Runnerup.

The Carolina Panthers Thread - Lost to NFCC Runnerup.

The Indianapolis Colts Thread - Lost to the AFCC Runnerup.

The Green Bay Packers Thread - Lost to the NFCC Runnerup.

The Philadelphia Eagles Thread - SB Winner beat the Saints who beat the Eagles.

The Kansas City Chiefs Thread - SB Runnerup beat the Colts who beat the Chiefs.

The Cincinnati Bengals Thread - AFC Runnerup Beat the Chargers who beat the Bengals.

The Arizona Cardinals Thread - Best Record for a Non-Playoff Team in a Hard Division.

The Pittsburgh Steelers Thread - Next Best Record, Controversially Missed the Playoffs.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Roethlisberger will...

Throw for 4,300 yards.
Throw 31 touchdowns.
Throw 12 interceptions.
Rush for 100 yards and 2 touchdowns.
Complete 66% of his passes.

The leading receiver (any position) will be: AB with 1,400 yd 9 TDs

The leading running back will be: Le'Veon Bell with 1,300 yds 10 TDs.

Defensive Yards Allowed: 280 per game.
Defensive Points Allowed: 17 per game.
Interceptions: 20

Team Record: 10-6

Home vs. BAL: W
Away at BAL: W

Biggest surprise? Win the AFCN division.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh still has an NFL team?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question here for you Face...Honestly don't know much about what Pitt has done this off season but wondering on the defensive side of the ball with your 17 per game prediction? That would have ranked 3rd overall last year tied with San Fran. I guess I am just not seeing Pitt quite being back to that level already. Again I don't know what all moves they have made this off season so I could be completely off base.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question here for you Face...Honestly don't know much about what Pitt has done this off season but wondering on the defensive side of the ball with your 17 per game prediction? That would have ranked 3rd overall last year tied with San Fran. I guess I am just not seeing Pitt quite being back to that level already. Again I don't know what all moves they have made this off season so I could be completely off base.

You don't see it because he has the homer glasses on and you do not.

If Pittsburgh contends for the division this year (and I fully expect them to), it will have more to do with their offense (Roethlisberger specifically) than their defense.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Pittsburgh contends for the division this year (and I fully expect them to), it will have more to do with their offense (Roethlisberger specifically) than their defense.

I agree. The offense is their strong point for sure right now.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are homer glasses for sure... lol

Quite the optimistic outlook, and probably should be closer to the 22-24 range. But things are going to get better for them next season. Here are a few reasons to support my case:

1. Heyward is now a full time starter.
2. Polamalu will not be used as a LB anymore to cover Williams/Wilson's spots. So He will be able to freelance more, and help out in coverage. I think the secondary will be leaps & bounds better because of this. The addition of Mike Mitchell to the FS position should help out a lot as well.
3. Shazier will be used in blitz packages, maybe even 2-3 down starter. His speed is phenomenal and should help out with the containment woes of last season.
4. Ike Taylor will not be covering the WR1 anymore. He's old, and everyone knows it. Lebeau would be foolish to keep him in that role. Cortez Allen is playing for an extension, so he is in a "prove it" year.
5. Far less traveling on their schedule this year. Only 1 game is played outside of their time zone. Should help keep recovery times low.

My only real question is with the pass rush, particularly the OLB's. Worilds & Jones have a lot to prove this season. Jones needs to make a big leap in order for this defense to be better. I think the addition of Porter to the coaching staff will help his progress tremendously. Worilds has to prove the he can stay healthy, and he should produce. Another question mark is the NT & LDE. Will McLendon's added weight/strength help him anchor? Will Tuitt start opposite Heyward, or do they bring back Keisel? There are many more points that I could make, but like I said, I think this unit is vastly improved from '13.

Optimistic homer comments... Take them as you may

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well...I hope you're right actually because Ben has the best weapons on paper that I've seen for at least 7 years.

That said...both sides of the ball has questions...the DEF is counting on a rookie starting @ LB, and most likely another in rotation on the DL...IF those two players gel quickly...I think the DEF will be better than last year...certainly faster and (hopefully) less likely to give up the big play.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Face. Like I said haven't followed the Steelers much this year. Watched a few games last year and saw the defense play very undisciplined which really shocked me. Even with a down year they were still middle of the pack so wouldn't surprise me with a few little adjustments to see them back near the top.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Face. Like I said haven't followed the Steelers much this year. Watched a few games last year and saw the defense play very undisciplined which really shocked me. Even with a down year they were still middle of the pack so wouldn't surprise me with a few little adjustments to see them back near the top.

Yea they had some rookies playing at LB (Jarvis Jones & Vince Williams) last season which is a VERY tough position to play as a rook. The LB's are the chess pieces to Lebeau's defense, so if they don't play well then the defense can look the way it did. But they aren't the only group to blame. The entire defense played pretty pedestrian. Polamalu was playing LB on 3rd-downs (sometimes even 2nd) to cover Williams's zone because he was pretty awful in coverage. Williams was great in run support though. So having Polamalu back to doing what he does best should help.

I think the tweaks they made this offseason made them a lot faster, so I'm hoping they all gel quickly. Time will tell! My prediction is by the end of the season they will be a top 10 defense, maybe around 6th or 7th.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he can stay healthy (and it's a huge IF), I expect a ginormous year out of Roethlisberger.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No...this DEF will be a lot like LY imo, (more bend but don't break vs high pressure) with this exception...they will be faster in the middle, and faster on the back end.

As Face pointed out...they still need to sort out pass rush...imo it's still a work in progress, but they are building a more athletic front 7 with the ability rush the passer from the DE spot, and ILB spot instead of mostly the OLBs.

That said, it's the OFC that has the ability to take a bigger step forward in 2014. They need the #2 WR to surface quickly, but I like this unit a lot better than LY.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he can stay healthy (and it's a huge IF), I expect a ginormous year out of Roethlisberger.

I think Ben will finish around 4200-4300. Doubt he'll beat his career best with the backfield finally taking form. He hasn't had this much talent around him in a long time, so I think a 16-game healthy season is very attainable.

I just hope Munchak gets the O-line clicking at a high level.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No...this DEF will be a lot like LY imo, (more bend but don't break vs high pressure) with this exception...they will be faster in the middle, and faster on the back end.

As Face pointed out...they still need to sort out pass rush...imo it's still a work in progress, but they are building a more athletic front 7 with the ability rush the passer from the DE spot, and ILB spot instead of mostly the OLBs.

That said, it's the OFC that has the ability to take a bigger step forward in 2014. They need the #2 WR to surface quickly, but I like this unit a lot better than LY.

He's more of a "glass half empty" type of guy

:suds:

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he can stay healthy (and it's a huge IF), I expect a ginosmith year out of Roethlisberger.

Thats not nice to say. Only room for 1 buttfumbler in NFL

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are homer glasses for sure... lol

Quite the optimistic outlook, and probably should be closer to the 22-24 range. But things are going to get better for them next season. Here are a few reasons to support my case:

1. Heyward is now a full time starter.
2. Polamalu will not be used as a LB anymore to cover Williams/Wilson's spots. So He will be able to freelance more, and help out in coverage. I think the secondary will be leaps & bounds better because of this. The addition of Mike Mitchell to the FS position should help out a lot as well.
3. Shazier will be used in blitz packages, maybe even 2-3 down starter. His speed is phenomenal and should help out with the containment woes of last season.
4. Ike Taylor will not be covering the WR1 anymore. He's old, and everyone knows it. Lebeau would be foolish to keep him in that role. Cortez Allen is playing for an extension, so he is in a "prove it" year.
5. Far less traveling on their schedule this year. Only 1 game is played outside of their time zone. Should help keep recovery times low.

My only real question is with the pass rush, particularly the OLB's. Worilds & Jones have a lot to prove this season. Jones needs to make a big leap in order for this defense to be better. I think the addition of Porter to the coaching staff will help his progress tremendously. Worilds has to prove the he can stay healthy, and he should produce. Another question mark is the NT & LDE. Will McLendon's added weight/strength help him anchor? Will Tuitt start opposite Heyward, or do they bring back Keisel? There are many more points that I could make, but like I said, I think this unit is vastly improved from '13.

Optimistic homer comments... Take them as you may

I thought your points 1 thru 5 are realistic...I don't want to put too much on Shazier right now, but if he, Tuitt, JJ, and Worilds play well...McLendon only has to be average and this DEF could be right there....still that's a lot of IFs.

I'm starting to think if Keisel is brought back...Nick Williams or Arnfelt are not ready to take the next step...it might also mean they don't feel that Fang or McCullers can help McLendon at NT and they need Cam Thomas for those snaps.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's more of a "glass half empty" type of guy

:suds:

Nah...I'm a half full kind of guy, just a little jittery on Worilds and JJ...I'm thinking we're on the right track big time if Tuitt is a hit...I'm thinking 2015 might be the year to return to top 10 form on DEF.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to have a nice mix. Us Homer types can get a bit carried away without them.

This is too true... I can't help it when questions like these are asked at a point in the year when I'm so "drunk" off of offseason hype. I tend to settle down during training camp.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought your points 1 thru 5 are realistic...I don't want to put too much on Shazier right now, but if he, Tuitt, JJ, and Worilds play well...McLendon only has to be average and this DEF could be right there....still that's a lot of IFs.

I'm starting to think if Keisel is brought back...Nick Williams or Arnfelt are not ready to take the next step...it might also mean they don't feel that Fang or McCullers can help McLendon at NT and they need Cam Thomas for those snaps.

Nah...I'm a half full kind of guy, just a little jittery on Worilds and JJ...I'm thinking we're on the right track big time if Tuitt is a hit...I'm thinking 2015 might be the year to return to top 10 form on DEF.

Just givin you a hard time. I agree though, there are some IFs. But things are definitely looking up for seasons to come.