• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

is Andy Dalton the best QB we have?

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad none of you make roster decisions for the Bengals! Andy is right where he needs to be in his development. As for not advancing past the first round, what about all the injuries we had last season? How many starters were out for the playoffs. The lines of thought expressed on here would lead to a rotating array of Qb's , about like the what the Browns do.

Andy Daltons numbers are virtually identical to a young Peyton Mannings | For The Win

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Manning had Andrew Whitworth blocking for him he'd have a perfect QB rating every year. FACT!!!!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with all of this talk about how the Bengals don't want to challenge Dalton, now we have 2 QBs on the roster with more talent and promise than Dalton has ever had on the roster.

Is Dalton just our "mediocrity" insurance?

McCarron: better college experience than Dalton had, would have been drafted ahead of Dalton if he had come out that year. better leader.

Pryor: better all around athlete. needs work, but could he ascend to Russel Wilson status?

hoping Dalton catches the flu at some point this season.

Seen a lot of McCarron...I'm going to say no on him being better than Dalton...yeah I give you the leadership on a CFB level when you're physically bigger and stronger than 50% of your schedule...I like him, but I feel more threatened with Dalton.

Pryor...he's already burnt the Steelers once, but facing him twice a year...I'd take my chance against him vs Dalton too.

IMO...the Bengals FO doesn't really want to challenge Dalton....they could've made a statement make a trade for Mettenberger (as an option) if the intent was to really challenge him.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I see it, why bother drafting McCarron at all if he doesn't get any chance at all to win the starting job? It's not like he would have to beat out Brett Favre, for Chrissakes. We need to find out for sure if he sucks, rather than deciding he does before he takes a preseason snap.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your ratings are correct, why would the scouts label McCarron as a 5th rounder and Dalton as a 1st/2nd? Given AJ's performance in college, his record in big games, and his role in a pro style offense you'd figure the kid would have gone higher unless scouts had a significant problem with his 'pro' abilities.

Worse crop of QB's versus league needs? I don't know. McCaaron was probably labeled 5th round talent at the time due to his injury and the fact he would be sitting on the bench and be on IR for the year for whatever team drafted him. You know how much crucification a team would have gone through had they drafted a guy in the top 3 rounds that was going to land on IR the second he was drafted basically and had questions on how his arm was going to rebound from surgery? I figure McCarron went a lot lower due to that injury.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seen a lot of McCarron...I'm going to say no on him being better than Dalton...yeah I give you the leadership on a CFB level when you're physically bigger and stronger than 50% of your schedule...I like him, but I feel more threatened with Dalton.

Pryor...he's already burnt the Steelers once, but facing him twice a year...I'd take my chance against him vs Dalton too.

IMO...the Bengals FO doesn't really want to challenge Dalton....they could've made a statement make a trade for Mettenberger (as an option) if the intent was to really challenge him.

IT is true. He had a ton of pros around him while in Alabama, but he could also have been a reason why they were so good. He got everyone together, rallied them, put the team on his back when they needed it and he managed a hell of a ball game and didn't turn the ball over much at all.

The Bengals have a ton of talent on offense. The problem they have is they do not have a game manager to get the ball to the play makers. Granted, Dalton has had some good games, but more often than not, if there is any kind of rush, he folds like a lawn chair. You need a leader that is not goign to flinch at pressure and get that ball to the guys that can make the yards. You don't need a guy who is going to throw the ball 70 yards in the air, you need an accurate QB with intelligence, leadership and pocket awareness. That is the same thing you have in Big Ben. However, Ben can have a brain fart from time to time and pull some shit out of his ass that works out only 50% of the time.

If we can actually get a legit threat at #2 WR sometime ever, we have a hell of an offense, especially with Bernard and Hill in the backfield. When they occasionally line them up together that makes them even more unpredictable. There is no damn excuse for how badly Dalton has played with the offensive talent surrounding him.

You may be more afraid for Dalton, but that is only during the regular season during non-prime time games. If you put Dalton under any light and he buckles, cracks and implodes. We are tired of winning the regular season. We want more than that. Dalton is not the QB to do that. McCarron might not either, but at least he has been under the microscope in a major college powerhouse and has excelled and been proven a winner. It is time for the old guard to have a seat and for the fresh blood to breathe some life back into this fan base.

Not that Marvin will ever allow this to happen. So who gives a F anyways. It is what it is. I will be a disappointed Bengals fan for life I am sure.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Dalton gets injured where he's out for a significant portion of the schedule, neither AJ nor TP will get a chance to show anything.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IT is true. He had a ton of pros around him while in Alabama, but he could also have been a reason why they were so good. He got everyone together, rallied them, put the team on his back when they needed it and he managed a hell of a ball game and didn't turn the ball over much at all.

The Bengals have a ton of talent on offense. The problem they have is they do not have a game manager to get the ball to the play makers. Granted, Dalton has had some good games, but more often than not, if there is any kind of rush, he folds like a lawn chair. You need a leader that is not goign to flinch at pressure and get that ball to the guys that can make the yards. You don't need a guy who is going to throw the ball 70 yards in the air, you need an accurate QB with intelligence, leadership and pocket awareness. That is the same thing you have in Big Ben. However, Ben can have a brain fart from time to time and pull some shit out of his ass that works out only 50% of the time.

If we can actually get a legit threat at #2 WR sometime ever, we have a hell of an offense, especially with Bernard and Hill in the backfield. When they occasionally line them up together that makes them even more unpredictable. There is no damn excuse for how badly Dalton has played with the offensive talent surrounding him.

You may be more afraid for Dalton, but that is only during the regular season during non-prime time games. If you put Dalton under any light and he buckles, cracks and implodes. We are tired of winning the regular season. We want more than that. Dalton is not the QB to do that. McCarron might not either, but at least he has been under the microscope in a major college powerhouse and has excelled and been proven a winner. It is time for the old guard to have a seat and for the fresh blood to breathe some life back into this fan base.

Not that Marvin will ever allow this to happen. So who gives a F anyways. It is what it is. I will be a disappointed Bengals fan for life I am sure.

Well stated, and to the T on Dalton...zero push back from me there. He simply doesn't make enough plays in the games that really matter...I feel ya, because the rest of the team is talented enough to have won at least one playoff game in the last 4 seasons.

McCarron...I hear ya...imo he was the ultimate game manager, didn't make many mistakes as you say, but the few times Bama was challenged...Saban would call on the ground game to take over and they would pound the crap out of the opponent. Now...since Kiffin came on board as the OC, and he had a top 10 talent @ WR, Saban has been a little more willing to pass the ball. IMO McCarron is a career backup.

#2 WR...you see every game vs 5 or 6 a season for me, so I have to yield to your thoughts there, but I thought Dalton had the strongest OFC options in the DIV for a long time...PIT caught up with the addition of Bryant and Wheaton's development and to couple with Bell and Miller.

Marvin...there you go. This applies to HC and QB...After a long stretch of not being very good, have they gotten too comfortable with this recent run of success? Tough call...they will probably do like ATL did and wait for Lewis to regress before they realize he's taken them as far as he can...good HC, but maybe not the guy to lead them to the promise land.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well stated, and to the T on Dalton...zero push back from me there. He simply doesn't make enough plays in the games that really matter...I feel ya, because the rest of the team is talented enough to have won at least one playoff game in the last 4 seasons.

McCarron...I hear ya...imo he was the ultimate game manager, didn't make many mistakes as you say, but the few times Bama was challenged...Saban would call on the ground game to take over and they would pound the crap out of the opponent. Now...since Kiffin came on board as the OC, and he had a top 10 talent @ WR, Saban has been a little more willing to pass the ball. IMO McCarron is a career backup.

#2 WR...you see every game vs 5 or 6 a season for me, so I have to yield to your thoughts there, but I thought Dalton had the strongest OFC options in the DIV for a long time...PIT caught up with the addition of Bryant and Wheaton's development and to couple with Bell and Miller.

Marvin...there you go. This applies to HC and QB...After a long stretch of not being very good, have they gotten too comfortable with this recent run of success? Tough call...they will probably do like ATL did and wait for Lewis to regress before they realize he's taken them as far as he can...good HC, but maybe not the guy to lead them to the promise land.

McCarron may very well be a career backup like you think. That is unknown until he actually takes the field against real competition. Dalton showed a lot of promise in his first two years, and even a little in his 3rd with yards passed for. However, he really took a major step backwards and still has not improved in prime time games. That anomaly against Denver at the end of last year is an outlier, because that was most Kirkpatrick, the defense and Jeremy Hill that created that win. Dalton was still pedestrian.

I agree about Marvin also, but with all the bone headed calls he makes, or doesn't challenge or holds this team back by not making a move for a legit QB, I still do not think coach is our issue. We need a competent QB to do something when it counts. Plus, I think we take a huge step back by not having Marvin as our HC because if he were to leave, I have a feeling he takes a huge chunk of our coaching staff with him, especially Duke Tobin who is the reason we have been consistently better in the draft the last 6 years. By losing Marvin, I actually think we take a huge step backwards personnel wise, which fortunately for us lately, has offset Mike Brown's dumb decisions.

We have the offense, and if Dalton can actually be Dalton from the regular season 1pm games during prime time and playoff games, Dalton is an above average QB. However, without him improving in that one area, he literally makes us invalid once the season ends and the playoffs begin. They may as well just say, the Bengals and Dalton made the playoff, but we are going to replace them with the next available team eligible for the playoffs, and that would actually make a better playoff game.

Unless Dalton improves in those areas, they may as well not even allow Cincinnati to make the playoffs, because it is watering down the first round of the playoffs. Either improve or replace him and take your chances. I actually think a new QB sets us back less than a new coach.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too much analysis imo. It's really this simple. We already know Dalton sucks. We suspect McCarron is no better but we can't know until we see him in live action. We also know Marvin sucks but is going nowhere, and that he'll never give McCarron a chance unless Dalton gets hurt. We need to hire someone to blow out Dalton's knee so we are forced to find out about McCarron. Does anyone have Kimo's phone number?

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
since Dalton has command of the offense, just give it time.

I'm hoping for a light at the end of the tunnel, but we're going to be thinking "Are we there yet?" for awhile.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I see it, why bother drafting McCarron at all if he doesn't get any chance at all to win the starting job?

Seriously.

Why pick McCarron when we could have used that pick on a TE?

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So nobody knows how to reach Kimo?????????????????????

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The so-called "Kimo Clause" now requires that defenders take every opportunity to avoid hitting a quarterback at or below the knees when the quarterback is in a defenseless position looking to throw with both feet on the ground - Wikipedia

yes, there's a whole paragraph dedicated to the Carson Palmer injury on Kimo's wiki. the internet is so groovy.