• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: DRAFT DAY BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bc they picked Penix at 8. Paying him big money to sit 2, 3 or 4 years. Injury prone and already 24 years old + they gave a QB $100M guaranteed in the offseason. Even in 2026 he will have a $35M dead cap hit
Rookies don't make big money. Big money is what Cousins got, what Penix is making is peanuts.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does he have tickets?

(but yes, if you think Penix is a badass franchise QB prospect then you take him every time)
Which is all I’m saying. I don’t get the hate of the pick. Just to me the goal is to win a SB, they obviously didn’t feel anyone at 8 could get them there this year so they picked a guy who they feel can get them there in the future

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to me the goal is to win a SB, they obviously didn’t feel anyone at 8 could get them there this year so they picked a guy who they feel can get them there in the future
I think trading down is still what 95% of teams would've done in this spot to turn #8 into 2+ starters. Saying Cousins cant win you a SB makes sense from the outside but not if its an organization depending on Cousins for the next two years.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm....

Franchise: Caleb Williams
Cousins: JJ McCarthy
Goff: Drake Maye

Other 3 Bust.

I'm sure this will age well.
As long as Payton is calling the shots you can add Nix to the good category. I’m not gonna get cocky and say Franchise but he’s got all the traits that will help him excel in a Sean Payton run offense.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If their goal is to win a Super Bowl in years 3, 4 and 5 then what does it matter though? I mean I get it but I just personally think he was the best QB in the draft.
If their goal is to win a super bowl then why not improve your defense and the holes after giving a QB a ton of money. If you don't think you are SB contenders now you should never sign Kirk.
The question was never about the player it was about picking him so early after giving a QB $180M.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rookies don't make big money. Big money is what Cousins got, what Penix is making is peanuts.
They do in the top 10. Makes sense if the player is actually playing.

$7M/year for a backup, rookie QB is quite a bit especially since he won't be starting until likely year 3 or 4. Most teams don't pay backup QB's that much money for one year

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If their goal is to win a Super Bowl in years 3, 4 and 5 then what does it matter though? I mean I get it but I just personally think he was the best QB in the draft.
If their goal is to win the SB in years 3, 4, or 5 with Penix at the helm, then why pay Cousins in the first place?

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see the logic behind what the Falcons are doing - I think Penix is a very good QB who is definitely capable of being a franchise QB of the future, but the Falcons needed better QB play instantly, they’ve had arguably the worst QB play in the NFL the past 2 seasons and it must improve, so signing Cousins made sense. I don’t think the Falcons are a Super Bowl caliber team this year, but they are a playoff caliber team, and Penix could get them to a Super Bowl in the future, and the model of having Penix sit for 1-2 years behind Cousins and then take over has worked for other teams, so I can see the logic behind what they did. That being said, I think if they thought they could win it all this year they would’ve taken an edge rusher, because that’s the position they need help at the most.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If their goal is to win the SB in years 3, 4, or 5 with Penix at the helm, then why pay Cousins in the first place?
I’m not sure but I will guess.

-They didnt want to tank
-With Cousins you can get in the playoffs and anything can happen
-Didn’t think Penix would be there
-Didn’t think he would be there is they traded back.

If he is the number 1 guy on your big board just take him IMO.

But seriously you are making me feel gross championing a Mutt.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see the logic behind what the Falcons are doing - I think Penix is a very good QB who is definitely capable of being a franchise QB of the future, but the Falcons needed better QB play instantly, they’ve had arguably the worst QB play in the NFL the past 2 seasons and it must improve, so signing Cousins made sense. I don’t think the Falcons are a Super Bowl caliber team this year, but they are a playoff caliber team, and Penix could get them to a Super Bowl in the future, and the model of having Penix sit for 1-2 years behind Cousins and then take over has worked for other teams, so I can see the logic behind what they did. That being said, I think if they thought they could win it all this year they would’ve taken an edge rusher, because that’s the position they need help at the most.
Take one in 2nd round.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But lets think about this scenario...

They trade back with NO and acquire their 2nd round pick.

They can still get the best edge, CB or DT with that pick in the 1st.
They now have two early 2nd round picks to round out the defense.
You gain 3 possible starters on defense or another WR.

Are they a SB contender now if these 3 defensive starters become good starters? I think it is possible + the other picks they have in the draft after these 3.

I think they have a great shot at winning the division. Add a couple pieces to the defense and they are on the list of NFC contenders without a doubt IMO

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think trading down is still what 95% of teams would've done in this spot to turn #8 into 2+ starters. Saying Cousins cant win you a SB makes sense from the outside but not if its an organization depending on Cousins for the next two years.
But if he is the number 1 dude on their board it doesn’t make sense to trade down. If their number 1 guy is there, why trade and get number 5 and 10. I do understand the pick doesn’t necessarily make sense but it’s not like they traded up for him

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if he is the number 1 dude on their board it doesn’t make sense to trade down. If their number 1 guy is there, why trade and get number 5 and 10. I do understand the pick doesn’t necessarily make sense but it’s not like they traded up for him
I feel like I need to rewatch Penix play. I saw a guy with 3 NFL receivers and 2 NFL offensive tackles playing in a division that sometimes had maybe 1 NFL player in their secondary.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Falcons still have #43, #74, #79, and #109.

You can get 3 good players, maybe even a 4th.

Not to mention depth in 5th and 6th rounds.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like I need to rewatch Penix play. I saw a guy with 3 NFL receivers and 2 NFL offensive tackles playing in a division that sometimes had maybe 1 NFL player in their secondary.
You should. Rome Odunze is a 3rd round draft pick without Penix. UW was shit before he got there and all of the guys who are getting or got drafted were there

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should. Rome Odunze is a 3rd round draft pick without Penix. UW was shit before he got there and all of the guys who are getting or got drafted were there
Rome Odunze had a 75% contested catch rate last year which was #1 in the nation and 21 contested catches which is #1 in the nation. His drop rate was 6th in the nation among all WRs. Rome Odunze is 6'3, 212, 1.52 10 yd split which is NFL elite, 4.45 40 time which is NFL solid, 39" vert which is NFL elite, 6.88 3 cone which is NFL solid and elite for his size.

If Odunze makes 5 fewer contested catches we're talking about Washington in a completely different light last year

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

QB is also such an important position that if you really think you have identified a potential franchise QB, it is sometimes worth pulling the trigger, even if you have one. When the Eagles drafted Jalen Hurts in the second round, it was far and away my least favorite selection. But clearly they knew what they were doing! They were beginning to have doubts about Wentz and wanted to groom another option.

Penix may or may not play, but if Cousins gets hurt or falls off, and the Falcons are a contending team, now they will keep rolling.

The big thing of course is the opportunity cost of using a pick on a position you don't immediately need, when you could have gotten a lineman or some other impact starter in the top 10 that would help you win right away.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rome Odunze had a 75% contested catch rate last year which was #1 in the nation and 21 contested catches which is #1 in the nation. His drop rate was 6th in the nation among all WRs. Rome Odunze is 6'3, 212, 1.52 10 yd split which is NFL elite, 4.45 40 time which is NFL solid, 39" vert which is NFL elite, 6.88 3 cone which is NFL solid and elite for his size.

If Odunze makes 5 fewer contested catches we're talking about Washington in a completely different light last year

I read a draftnik analysis that showed that Penix was repeatedly bailed out by those Washington receivers, who caught a lot of contested passes and also a lot of throws that were not perfectly accurate. He can throw a pretty ball sometimes, with great placement, but his placement was sometimes off and guys like Odunze and Macmillan made the play anyway.