• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk: 7 Words You Can't Say to Jack Johnson

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he is not totally wrong

the fact that Biden can do nothing to remove people like Clarence from SCOTUS shows you it can be just ceremonial.

that proven corruption should have had him removed the day it was shown

On that note, if Biden wins in November, I want him to appoint at least 2 new judges to the Supreme Court (take it from 9 to 11). While he can't remove any Supreme Court justices, there is nothing stopping him from changing the current 6-3 conservative majority.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On that note, if Biden wins in November, I want him to appoint at least 2 new judges to the Supreme Court (take it from 9 to 11). While he can't remove any Supreme Court justices, there is nothing stopping him from changing the current 6-3 conservative majority.
If we agree, and I think most people here do, that if literally anybody other than Trump were running against him Biden is probably getting his ass kicked hard in this election, and we agree that there's a good chance that after another 4 years there's a good chance a Republican who isn't DJT could win, why on earth would you want to set a precedent where we're court packing?

I cannot for the life of me understand why someone would want to open that door when the next president could be MTG for all we know.

Fact is there's a decent chance of Thomas, Alito and Sotomayor all fucking off at some point in the next few years (Soto should just retire after this session and do the world a favour but she'll probably feel that she's the new RBG and stick around too long). Slimmer chance but still possible that Roberts and/or Kagan do as well. There's no reason to go nuclear when pistols at dawn will solve the problem.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if trump gets his immunity he sets precedent and Biden should have him...... "go on a holiday" and claim

IPdDIs.gif

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we agree, and I think most people here do, that if literally anybody other than Trump were running against him Biden is probably getting his ass kicked hard in this election, and we agree that there's a good chance that after another 4 years there's a good chance a Republican who isn't DJT could win, why on earth would you want to set a precedent where we're court packing?

I cannot for the life of me understand why someone would want to open that door when the next president could be MTG for all we know.

Fact is there's a decent chance of Thomas, Alito and Sotomayor all fucking off at some point in the next few years (Soto should just retire after this session and do the world a favour but she'll probably feel that she's the new RBG and stick around too long). Slimmer chance but still possible that Roberts and/or Kagan do as well. There's no reason to go nuclear when pistols at dawn will solve the problem.

Who started the precedent of court packing? It certainly wasn't the Dems, they tried to get Merrick Garland, but McConnell blocked his appointment because of the convention of not allowing an outgoing president to have a Supreme Court appointment in his final year (an election year). Then Mitch suddenly reverses course and allows Trump to appoint Amy Coney Barrett in 2020 (an election year).

You also have a current Supreme Court justice whose wife was directly involved in a plot to overthrow the results of a free and fair settled election and who did absolutely nothing to stop it. Not to mention his obvious corruption that @mattola pointed out above. Clarence Thomas should be impeached at a minimum and also be charged with some serious crimes.

I mean, if the GOP doesn't realize how badly they have acted over the last 8+years and aren't willing to recognize their egregious mistakes, if the Dems don't do anything to correct the course that America is on, they're almost as bad as the GOP.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I think the mistake a lot of people are making is that the GOP will correct itself once Trump is gone. Trump is the result of the GOP that has gone extreme likely starting all the way back in the mid-90's with Newt Gingrich. Liz Cheney (not a Democratic supporter by any means) tried to call out the GOP for their misdeeds and she lost her seat in Wyoming. The path is clear, either follow the authoritarian wave or we'll get rid of you and find someone who is willing to.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd agree with you 100% if both sides were playing by the same rules. I have no confidence that the Republicans would not or will not give that a shot when they really want something ruled their way.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who started the precedent of court packing? It certainly wasn't the Dems, they tried to get Merrick Garland, but McConnell blocked his appointment because of the convention of not allowing an outgoing president to have a Supreme Court appointment in his final year (an election year). Then Mitch suddenly reverses course and allows Trump to appoint Amy Coney Barrett in 2020 (an election year).

You also have a current Supreme Court justice whose wife was directly involved in a plot to overthrow the results of a free and fair settled election and who did absolutely nothing to stop it. Not to mention his obvious corruption that @mattola pointed out above. Clarence Thomas should be impeached at a minimum and also be charged with some serious crimes.

I mean, if the GOP doesn't realize how badly they have acted over the last 8+years and aren't willing to recognize their egregious mistakes, if the Dems don't do anything to correct the course that America is on, they're almost as bad as the GOP.
If I understood the arguments from Trump's Lawyer in front of the Supreme Court, Biden can order Seal team six to kill the members of the Court or Congress he doesn't like as long it's not personal.
Also, I think the mistake a lot of people are making is that the GOP will correct itself once Trump is gone. Trump is the result of the GOP that has gone extreme likely starting all the way back in the mid-90's with Newt Gingrich. Liz Cheney (not a Democratic supporter by any means) tried to call out the GOP for their misdeeds and she lost her seat in Wyoming. The path is clear, either follow the authoritarian wave or we'll get rid of you and find someone who is willing to.
It's pretty much a straight line from Reagan to where we are now. Tear down government authority and trust, give power to corporations/the rich, and divide the citizenry so they don't get together and rise up. I would dare say the line would be straight to Nixon if not for that whole "First president to get caught trying to be above the law" thing.

Any chance they had to correct course went out the window once McCain gave in and kowtowed to the Tea Party with Palin. Assuming, of course they wanted to correct course. Which they didn't.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was shitty and predictable but not really court packing, and the Democrats could do the same thing now without batting an eyelash.

Loading up the court beyond 9 just starts careening it toward looking like a clown car.

The way I see it, anyway.

I'd agree with you 100% if both sides were playing by the same rules. I have no confidence that the Republicans would not or will not give that a shot when they really want something ruled their way.
They may, but let them wear it. Assuming there's still a republic after that I think that would cost them a lot of votes, as I know it would Democrats.

Big if.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was shitty and predictable but not really court packing, and the Democrats could do the same thing now without batting an eyelash.

Loading up the court beyond 9 just starts careening it toward looking like a clown car.

The way I see it, anyway.
The size of the court was set when we had 13 states and less than 4 million citizens. You could legit argue for expansion.. It's frustrating because one side can make legit arguments, present facts and try to make legitimate change, but the other side will will just stand up, reach into their diaper and start flinging shit pretending it's even remotely the same, like you said.

Like impeachment. The Democrats presented quality evidence of impeachable offenses committed by Trump and then Repubs were just like WE'RE GONNA EMPITCH YOUR GUY TOO'S WHARRRRGAABLE. It's arguing with 3 year olds.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The size of the court was set when we had 13 states and less than 4 million citizens. You could legit argue for expansion.. It's frustrating because one side can make legit arguments, present facts and try to make legitimate change, but the other side will will just stand up, reach into their diaper and start flinging shit pretending it's even remotely the same, like you said.

Like impeachment. The Democrats presented quality evidence of impeachable offenses committed by Trump and then Repubs were just like WE'RE GONNA EMPITCH YOUR GUY TOO'S WHARRRRGAABLE. It's arguing with 3 year olds.
If that's going to be the standard, and indeed it maybe should be, start by expanding the House where one representative originally represented 14 white men, 0.75 black guy and one mule but now represents 700,000 people.

Because that's the biggest issue you guys have government-wise - if there were smaller congressional districts the likelihood of new parties forming and actually gaining some power would actually be possible and you might even have a government like Canada one day where everything functions perfectly!

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope every election cycle continues with "the democrats have to choose a moderate!" while the republicans keep stepping right, so even if the democrats win for 20 stra8ght years it may not seem like it.

"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word has it that he never had his job at the bank he was an intern

View attachment 360660
Doesn’t make it any better.

For starters, and this isn’t really on him because the government has completely thrown the rules out the door but all foreign students are supposed to be completely self sufficient. From Immigration’s website:

Eligibility requirements
You can come to Canada to study if you

are enrolled at a DLI

prove you have enough money to pay for
your tuition fees

living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and

return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada

I think they legally allowed students to work up to 20 hours a week (this is the reason for a lot of those long lines they show at job fairs in college towns these days) but still in general they’re not supposed to need our social supports to live, meaning either he does and the government is doing a bad job of maintaining their system (which is definitely happening) or he doesn’t need it and he’s making videos on how to take advantage of the system that he actually needs to survive which is much dumber.

Either way it’s not supposed to work like this and the only videos someone should be making about food banks is how to donate to them.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just going to start calling her Jenna 'Jailbird' Ellis :D

She can be the lead character on the reboot of Orange is the New Black in about 5 years.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it sure sounds like Trump got what he wanted out of the Supreme Court yesterday which is a delay...And if he does win in November, he or his appointed attorney general can make this all go away.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it sure sounds like Trump got what he wanted out of the Supreme Court yesterday which is a delay...And if he does win in November, he or his appointed attorney general can make this all go away.
Yet, the "law and order" crowd worships him.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
holy fuck wait until he is President again. laws gunna change for the absolute worst to keep him in power until he dies. there is NO justice in america.