• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Few Thoughts before the draft

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s begin with our top needs which are IMO, QB, OT WR, and Edge, Here are my my thoughts on potential candidates to fill these needs in this draft and off-season.

QB… This is perhaps the easiest position to fill because with the number two pick in this draft, the choice is Jayden Daniels and all of the other nonsense about trading down, taking one of the other guys, etc., ends with that selection.

OT… OK, let me get this out of the way first… my look at possible second-round talents that could be available for Washington when they are next on the clock. They are;

Matt Goncalves (Pitt) Taliese Fuaga (Wash. State) Kingsley Suamataia (BYU), Amarius Mims (Georgia), Tyler Guyton (Oklahoma), and Patrick Paul (Houston).

Of those listed my favorites are Amarius Mims even though he has the greatest upside of these, he doesn’t have a lot of game experience. (8 games total)

AND

Patrick Paul a bonafide steal in round two and, perhaps because IMHO he has been one of the most consistent tackles in the country as both a pass protector and a run blocker.

There’s plenty of talk about a possible trade to move back into round one to get their guy at left tackle, but to me this generates a negative effect on how they obtain a stud WR that can be complimented by TM and JD. (Btw; an early prediction, big year for Mitchell Tinsley)

That said, Washington must have one of the most fluid draft boards in this draft, because, as currently predicted, there’s going to be a run on offensive players in the first round. Five to six quarterbacks, six to seven wide receivers, nine or ten offensive linemen, and one tight end. A round-one quality WR and/or OT is likely to fall to them at pick 36. My prediction is that their best option is to target an OT in round two and completely skip any quest to draft a WR this year, unless…

WR… If and that’s a humongous IF, Brian Thomas Jr. of LSU and/or Adonai Mitchell of Texas are still undrafted by pick 28, then and ONLY then do the Commanders trade up to get their guy. Hopefully, it’s Thomas Jr. an almost perfect compliment for Daniels and someone he’s both comfortable and familiar with. I’m not counting on that so, my alternative plan is a trade for Tee Higgins offering our 3rd (78 or 100) in 2024 and second in 2025. If they balk, then I’d sweeten the offer with pick 40 this year and our lowest 3rd rounder next year.

EDGE… With so many offensive players being targeted in round one, the run on defense begins in earnest in round two. Looking at other draft needs it’s easy to see Jared Verse (Fla. St.), Dallas Turner (Ala.), Laiatu Latu (UCLA), Chop Robinson (Penn St.), and Darius Robinson (Missouri) already comfortably acclimating themselves as first-round selection of their perspective teams. To me, this is the cream of the crop but that doesn’t mean Washington has been shut out of getting an effective pass-rushing edge out of the talent that’s left. The names left in this draft after the top guys are gone are; Xavier Thomas (Clemson), Zion Tupuola-Fetui and Bralen Trice (Washington), Chris Braswell (Ala.), Gabriel Murphy (UCLA), Adisa Issac (Penn St.), Jonah Elliss (Utah) and Cedric Johnson (Ole’ Miss). My choice here is either Chris Braswell or Xavier Thomas… Thomas because he’s the more polished of the two and Braswell because with proper coaching he has most of the tools and all of the potential to become a game-wrecker.

As I post this we have approximately 35 hours before Washington is on the clock, instead of focusing on the QB position, how about a spirited conversation/debate on what happens after round one?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s begin with our top needs which are IMO, QB, OT WR, and Edge, Here are my my thoughts on potential candidates to fill these needs in this draft and off-season.

QB… This is perhaps the easiest position to fill because with the number two pick in this draft, the choice is Jayden Daniels and all of the other nonsense about trading down, taking one of the other guys, etc., ends with that selection.

OT… OK, let me get this out of the way first… my look at possible second-round talents that could be available for Washington when they are next on the clock. They are;

Matt Goncalves (Pitt) Taliese Fuaga (Wash. State) Kingsley Suamataia (BYU), Amarius Mims (Georgia), Tyler Guyton (Oklahoma), and Patrick Paul (Houston).

Of those listed my favorites are Amarius Mims even though he has the greatest upside of these, he doesn’t have a lot of game experience. (8 games total)

AND

Patrick Paul a bonafide steal in round two and, perhaps because IMHO he has been one of the most consistent tackles in the country as both a pass protector and a run blocker.

There’s plenty of talk about a possible trade to move back into round one to get their guy at left tackle, but to me this generates a negative effect on how they obtain a stud WR that can be complimented by TM and JD. (Btw; an early prediction, big year for Mitchell Tinsley)

That said, Washington must have one of the most fluid draft boards in this draft, because, as currently predicted, there’s going to be a run on offensive players in the first round. Five to six quarterbacks, six to seven wide receivers, nine or ten offensive linemen, and one tight end. A round-one quality WR and/or OT is likely to fall to them at pick 36. My prediction is that their best option is to target an OT in round two and completely skip any quest to draft a WR this year, unless…

WR… If and that’s a humongous IF, Brian Thomas Jr. of LSU and/or Adonai Mitchell of Texas are still undrafted by pick 28, then and ONLY then do the Commanders trade up to get their guy. Hopefully, it’s Thomas Jr. an almost perfect compliment for Daniels and someone he’s both comfortable and familiar with. I’m not counting on that so, my alternative plan is a trade for Tee Higgins offering our 3rd (78 or 100) in 2024 and second in 2025. If they balk, then I’d sweeten the offer with pick 40 this year and our lowest 3rd rounder next year.

EDGE… With so many offensive players being targeted in round one, the run on defense begins in earnest in round two. Looking at other draft needs it’s easy to see Jared Verse (Fla. St.), Dallas Turner (Ala.), Laiatu Latu (UCLA), Chop Robinson (Penn St.), and Darius Robinson (Missouri) already comfortably acclimating themselves as first-round selection of their perspective teams. To me, this is the cream of the crop but that doesn’t mean Washington has been shut out of getting an effective pass-rushing edge out of the talent that’s left. The names left in this draft after the top guys are gone are; Xavier Thomas (Clemson), Zion Tupuola-Fetui and Bralen Trice (Washington), Chris Braswell (Ala.), Gabriel Murphy (UCLA), Adisa Issac (Penn St.), Jonah Elliss (Utah) and Cedric Johnson (Ole’ Miss). My choice here is either Chris Braswell or Xavier Thomas… Thomas because he’s the more polished of the two and Braswell because with proper coaching he has most of the tools and all of the potential to become a game-wrecker.

As I post this we have approximately 35 hours before Washington is on the clock, instead of focusing on the QB position, how about a spirited conversation/debate on what happens after round one?

Fuga plays for Oregon State i would be shocked if he is there in the 2nd round. I also don't think Mims and Guyton will be there at #36. The guy from Pitt looks like a late rounder. I think King and Paul are definitely there at #36. Im surprised you have CB off your need list.

I think Olu is a name to watch. If he falls to the late teens, i can see us moving up for him. He would start at LT Day one. If we stay at 36 guys like Morgan, Paul, and Kings should be there. There was a mock that had us trading up for Olu but we still got WR Pearsall and CB Tampa with the trade up. IMO that's not bad at all.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with a whole lot of what you posted, especially with QB and OT. Mims is my guy as well but I see him going around 20. I also have Kingsley over Paul but it is close.

I definitely disagree on WR. I would not trade up for any WR except the top three and I would not take WR off my list by any stretch. This is the deepest and best WR draft I have ever seen.

As for DE, while it is a major need, I disagree with wasting a second on any of those expected to be available. This is a poor draft in regards to talent and depth for DE. We should never draft out of desperation.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuga plays for Oregon State i would be shocked if he is there in the 2nd round. I also don't think Mims and Guyton will be there at #36. The guy from Pitt looks like a late rounder. I think King and Paul are definitely there at #36. Im surprised you have CB off your need list.

I think Olu is a name to watch. If he falls to the late teens, i can see us moving up for him. He would start at LT Day one. If we stay at 36 guys like Morgan, Paul, and Kings should be there. There was a mock that had us trading up for Olu but we still got WR Pearsall and CB Tampa with the trade up. IMO that's not bad at all.
Either Mims or Guyton may fall to the second round, especially if there's an extra QB or WR taken in round one. Right now, I have 6 QBs going in round one because there's talk of JJ McCarthy being elevated to that round. People are getting a bit skittish and although I had him going to the Vikings, his best fit, Minnesota may be forced to take him earlier than his skillset suggests.
I omitted CB because I see the others are more pressing needs. It's still likely that they take a corner in this draft.
I don't like the idea of moving up in this draft to get a tackle, I explained why in my original post.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either Mims or Guyton may fall to the second round, especially if there's an extra QB or WR taken in round one. Right now, I have 6 QBs going in round one because there's talk of JJ McCarthy being elevated to that round. People are getting a bit skittish and although I had him going to the Vikings, his best fit, Minnesota may be forced to take him earlier than his skillset suggests.
I omitted CB because I see the others are more pressing needs. It's still likely that they take a corner in this draft.
I don't like the idea of moving up in this draft to get a tackle, I explained why in my original post.

you wont trade up for a LT but will trade up for a WR? isn't LT more pressing? People are saying Mims and Guyton are RT's right now. Maybe groomed to be LT's. Big surprise to me if one is there at 36. Unless there are some medicals that i dont know about.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with a whole lot of what you posted, especially with QB and OT. Mims is my guy as well but I see him going around 20. I also have Kingsley over Paul but it is close.

I definitely disagree on WR. I would not trade up for any WR except the top three and I would not take WR off my list by any stretch. This is the deepest and best WR draft I have ever seen.

As for DE, while it is a major need, I disagree with wasting a second on any of those expected to be available. This is a poor draft in regards to talent and depth for DE. We should never draft out of desperation.
The reason why I elevated WR above CB relates to giving our young QB every weapon possible and definitely one as important as a true WR1 which we don't have. Chase and Sweat are gone, unless there's going to be a move to go from a base 4-3 to a 3-4, edge is a major need.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you wont trade up for a LT but will trade up for a WR? isn't LT more pressing? People are saying Mims and Guyton are RT's right now. Maybe groomed to be LT's. Big surprise to me if one is there at 36. Unless there are some medicals that i dont know about.
I'd trade up for one of those two particular WRs, that's why I named them. If neither WR is projected to be there at pick 28, then and only then do I trade up for my OT. The key part of my post was pointing out that Washington must have an extremely fluid draft board to make these on-the-fly determinations.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd trade up for one of those two particular WRs, that's why I named them. If neither WR is projected to be there at pick 28, then and only then do I trade up for my OT. The key part of my post was pointing out that Washington must have an extremely fluid draft board to make these on-the-fly determinations.
To me this is the year to go o/line , wr and TE but I don’t like trade ups

We are a 7 win team next year tops no matter how well we draft

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason why I elevated WR above CB relates to giving our young QB every weapon possible and definitely one as important as a true WR1 which we don't have. Chase and Sweat are gone, unless there's going to be a move to go from a base 4-3 to a 3-4, edge is a major need.

I don’t see Thomas and Mitchell as anything better than Legette, Worthy, or Coleman. I definitely don’t trade for somebody like Higgins who is nothing more than a good 2.

Chase and Sweat are gone but that doesn’t mean you waste draft capital out of desperation. Just kick DE until next season when there will be more talent.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me this is the year to go o/line , wr and TE but I don’t like trade ups

We are a 7 win team next year tops no matter how well we draft
Outside of Sanders (Texas), I don't see a very promising TE class. OL and WR are certainly plentiful in this draft. I've targeted two and failing to get either means entertaining trade offers for one of the best in the game today.

I disagree with being a 7 win team because of the QB situation. If, as it seems likely, Daniels is the pick here this team can approximate what Houston did last year. Not a 10-7 but 8-9 wins are possible.
If the pick is Maye, I don't think that he will start and there's a high possibility that starting Mariota or forcing Maye to start results in a 4-5- or if lucky 6 wins.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t see Thomas and Mitchell as anything better than Legette, Worthy, or Coleman. I definitely don’t trade for somebody like Higgins who is nothing more than a good 2.

Chase and Sweat are gone but that doesn’t mean you waste draft capital out of desperation. Just kick DE until next season when there will be more talent.
I won't argue with your evaluation, but I definitely don't agree with it. Thomas is the guy who gives both comfort and familiarity to Daniels. We must give this young man every opportunity to succeed. I can see the comparison between Legette and Mitchell, but to me, the edge goes to Mitchell. Worthy is an interesting young talent and I see a lot of Hill in his game, but he's 6-1 and Washington needs to stop gathering smaller types and look to add complimentary (meaning bigger) guys to their WR corp.

Washington has 6 selections in the top 100 picks in this draft, they will draft an edge rusher with one of those picks.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

AND

Thank you for a fresh topic, ok here's my thoughts on this, in a rush so i may have to edit or respond to feedback later.

1. Yes, Jayden is the most likely selection. But whoever it is, we can now build around him and start winning.

2. I didn't realize Mims has such little experience. He's no longer someone I'd feel comfortable starting. I love guyton and paul in the 2nd. I'm against trading up for an OT.

3. I'm completely with you on WR. Thomas jr is right up there with the top guys, we are talking about a legit guy that could finally take heat off Terry. I also love Higgins who would become the WR1 and allow Terry to destroy anything 1 on 1. Obviously we don't trade up for another Dotson.

4. Im out of the loop on edge.

....unless Leggette is the next AJ Brown...we have to get Terry some help. I know in the other thread we briefly talked WR help

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you for a fresh topic, ok here's my thoughts on this, in a rush so i may have to edit or respond to feedback later.

1. Yes, Jayden is the most likely selection. But whoever it is, we can now build around him and start winning.

2. I didn't realize Mims has such little experience. He's no longer someone I'd feel comfortable starting. I love guyton and paul in the 2nd. I'm against trading up for an OT.

3. I'm completely with you on WR. Thomas jr is right up there with the top guys, we are talking about a legit guy that could finally take heat off Terry. I also love Higgins who would become the WR1 and allow Terry to destroy anything 1 on 1. Obviously we don't trade up for another Dotson.

4. Im out of the loop on edge.

....unless Leggette is the next AJ Brown...we have to get Terry some help. I know in the other thread we briefly talked WR help
You've done a really good job considering the time crush and I don't disagree with any of this!