• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Official Seahawk Draft thread

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said Woolen was a great run defender but thats NOT his job.

CB like Woolen were not drafted to "tackle running backs"

Yes Woolen had a down year but wow after a PROBOWL ROOKIE SEASON you all are dickheads for bailing on him because he doesn't like to tackle at the LoS. Lets see, some of the best corners in the league over the last couple decades were not great at tackling at the LoS this isn't something thats uncommon for speed cover guys. Yes it sucks to have a guy that doesn't like to mix it up at the LoS but he still is a good Cover corner who went through the "COMMON" sophomore slump.

Our DL/LB were not doing their jobs at stopping the run and this had a knock on effect with woolen. He was not the reason our Run defense sucked LMAO.

A CB SHOULDN'T BE MAKING TACKLES ON A RB! if he is your run defense sucks and well it did.

Seriously..... who the fuck cares if he's not a great tackler? Deion was OKAY at tackling but he never had to tackle anyone but the WR which was rare anyway because he never allowed many catches (no I'm not implying Woolen is the next Deion Sanders SportsHoopla forums... calm yourselves).

When Pete made Woolen the only guy on point to tackle CMAC in that 49ers game on the EDGE run I was just done with Pete... WTF were you thinking? So what if Woolen can't tackle great? Teach him or put him in a position where he doesn't have to tackle runners. Announcer: "And Woolen just has to secure that edge." Me: "WHY THE FUCK IS HE THE ONE THAT HAS TO SECURE THE EDGE LET ALONE TACKLE HIM, YOU CLOWN ASS!?"

Would not be surprised if he has another pro bowl season this year now that Seattle actually has a fuckin' DLINE that can stop runners from tearing into the backfield every play and a head coach that doesn't go "DUR DUR DUR DUR ME SOFT ZONE!" every damn play.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously..... who the fuck cares if he's not a great tackler? Deion was OKAY at tackling but he never had to tackle anyone but the WR which was rare anyway because he never allowed many catches (no I'm not implying Woolen is the next Deion Sanders SportsHoopla forums... calm yourselves).

I don't know how old you are, but I'm 52 and saw all of Deion's career. Saying he was an "okay" tackler is giving him quite a bit of credit.

Your overall point is fair, however. Woolen's career will probably not be determined by how good of a tackler he is. If he can cover really well and stay healthy, he'll stick around either here or somewhere else.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know any defense that "depends" on CBs to tackle RBs, but a complete inability or unwillingness to do so is detrimental to the team at some point. I think to a man, everyone in here was pretty fed up with Woolen's atrocious poor tackling this past season.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know any defense that "depends" on CBs to tackle RBs, but a complete inability or unwillingness to do so is detrimental to the team at some point. I think to a man, everyone in here was pretty fed up with Woolen's atrocious poor tackling this past season.
Add that to Diggs numerous "business" decisions about making tackles and you start to understand the problem with the run defense last season. Everyone needs to do his job and not just the part of the job they want to do. If a tackle is there to be made then the player needs to make it. I'm betting those tackles get made this year or changes will be made.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add that to Diggs numerous "business" decisions about making tackles and you start to understand the problem with the run defense last season. Everyone needs to do his job and not just the part of the job they want to do. If a tackle is there to be made then the player needs to make it. I'm betting those tackles get made this year or changes will be made.
At its most basic level, the object of the game includes tackling the guy with the ball. If you cannot or will not make due effort to accomplish that fundamental part of the game, you are a liability to your team.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That guy is a giant ball of muscle...

I got a little swept up in the "OMG Turner is there". Now it seems medical flags dropped him, Fautanu, and Latu (course we knew about that one) but man, we still had to address D-Line. It's just as big of a weakness as OL IMO. Yah Reed did good things last year, but he's like 32, Williams is nearing 30, Jones is meh (I was never really a fan of the signing), and Hankins is like 35? A good chunk of the DL is a liability just due to age... and age does have benefits, if you bring a younger guy in.

There's 3 positions that are hardly EVER available in free agency. QB, OT (blindside), and IDL. That's it. You can even find decent EDGE in free agency (might be a bit older, but they do hit the market). Seems once teams identify one of the 3 listed positions above as a great player, they just don't let them go. They run the whole team.

The impact all the trench players make... I have to imagine if anyone else complains they are just like, "BITCH, please."

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I got a little swept up in the "OMG Turner is there". Now it seems medical flags dropped him, Fautanu, and Latu (course we knew about that one) but man, we still had to address D-Line. It's just as big of a weakness as OL IMO. Yah Reed did good things last year, but he's like 32, Williams is nearing 30, Jones is meh (I was never really a fan of the signing), and Hankins is like 35? A good chunk of the DL is a liability just due to age... and age does have benefits, if you bring a younger guy in.

There's 3 positions that are hardly EVER available in free agency. QB, OT (blindside), and IDL. That's it. You can even find decent EDGE in free agency (might be a bit older, but they do hit the market). Seems once teams identify one of the 3 listed positions above as a great player, they just don't let them go. They run the whole team.

The impact all the trench players make... I have to imagine if anyone else complains they are just like, "BITCH, please."
LOL Hankins is 32.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Needed to improve the run defense obviously and good DT should help a bunch. Don't think any Seahawks fans are complaining even if they had a different player in mind because Murphy is a quality prospect.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL Hankins is 32.

Oh jeez, you're right! Where the hell did I get 35 stuck in my head? wth...

200w.gif

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Needed to improve the run defense obviously and good DT should help a bunch. Don't think any Seahawks fans are complaining even if they had a different player in mind because Murphy is a quality prospect.

From everything I've read, the Hawks didn't think there was any chance that Murphy would still be available at 16. They thought he would be a top 10 pick. Which makes complete sense given that the first 14 picks were all offensive players. While my pre-draft preference was Fautanu, I think that the way the draft played out, it gave the Hawks an opportunity to get a true difference maker on defense.

A true difference maker on the interior changes a defense. It's why I wanted Carter last year. Murphy doesn't have a lot of tape so there is some fair amount of risk but it's worth it.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From everything I've read, the Hawks didn't think there was any chance that Murphy would still be available at 16. They thought he would be a top 10 pick. Which makes complete sense given that the first 14 picks were all offensive players. While my pre-draft preference was Fautanu, I think that the way the draft played out, it gave the Hawks an opportunity to get a true difference maker on defense.

A true difference maker on the interior changes a defense. It's why I wanted Carter last year. Murphy doesn't have a lot of tape so there is some fair amount of risk but it's worth it.

As much as Witherspoon has played well... I'd still rather have Carter. I gave Witherspoon a HUGE F+++ grade on this forum and lost my shit. That certainly in hindsight wasn't warranted, but I'd still rather have Carter end of day.

Carter + Murphy + Williams would be lights out. DreUseless probably would've just been released outright...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as Witherspoon has played well... I'd still rather have Carter. I gave Witherspoon a HUGE F+++ grade on this forum and lost my shit. That certainly in hindsight wasn't warranted, but I'd still rather have Carter end of day.

Carter + Murphy + Williams would be lights out. DreUseless probably would've just been released outright...

Well if we drafted Carter last year we probably draft a corner in the 1st round this year. So would you rather have Carter/Mitchell or Witherspoon/Murphy? I'm personally pretty happy with Spoon and Murphy and the concerns about Carter long term still linger for me.

I think you are being way too harsh on Jones though. Maybe he is a flop. But the entire defense was a mess last year in part because players were being asked to do things that they were not well suited to do. I said this several times during the season but I really felt that Pete built a defense based on what worked early on in Seattle. But the team simply didn't have the same talent as that defense, very few defenses have EVER had that level of talent.

We will see how much that is true this season, if the defense makes a dramatic turnaround then that won't speak very well for Pete's late era approach to D no matter how much of a genius Macdonald might be on D.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if we drafted Carter last year we probably draft a corner in the 1st round this year. So would you rather have Carter/Mitchell or Witherspoon/Murphy? I'm personally pretty happy with Spoon and Murphy and the concerns about Carter long term still linger for me.

I think you are being way too harsh on Jones though. Maybe he is a flop. But the entire defense was a mess last year in part because players were being asked to do things that they were not well suited to do. I said this several times during the season but I really felt that Pete built a defense based on what worked early on in Seattle. But the team simply didn't have the same talent as that defense, very few defenses have EVER had that level of talent.

We will see how much that is true this season, if the defense makes a dramatic turnaround then that won't speak very well for Pete's late era approach to D no matter how much of a genius Macdonald might be on D.

Hard to argue with ya on this one, flyer... I still like the idea of Carter/Murphy.. but again I'm not going to get sad about Murphy/Witherspoon.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to argue with ya on this one, flyer... I still like the idea of Carter/Murphy.. but again I'm not going to get sad about Murphy/Witherspoon.

I love the idea of Carter/Murphy. I don't love the idea of Woolen/Jackson as are our corners.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the idea of Carter/Murphy. I don't love the idea of Woolen/Jackson as are our corners.

You think Witherspoon is gonna slip to the outside? Cause if not we're still in the same situation..

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Witherspoon is gonna slip to the outside? Cause if not we're still in the same situation..

He played the outside extensively last year.

The article is from late October so not complete but at the time, Spoon had 199 snaps on the outside and 122 on the inside.

He played inside mainly to get him involved in the plays more, not because he was better suited there.