• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020-21 The Carter Hart Era PT2(The raising of the cup)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to find a way to combat the dump and pressure on our defense which leads to a lot of play in our own zone.
I think Carter Hart and his stick work not being up to par caused a lot of our defense getting pinned in. If Hart works on getting better with the puck that would be a tremendous help for our dmen

Agreed. Two of the best ways for the Flyers to be better next year will be Hart's stickhandling and Sanheim/Myers lifting weights. Heavy ones.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's probably some overrating, but there's definitely some underrating too. JvR got $7M as a UFA for reason. Hextall wasn't out there trying to burn money. He was probably overpaid then, maybe $1-2M because he was a UFA and other teams would've paid something similar. And he's struggled to replicate his last couple years in Toronto and is showing a steady decline. His true value is far below is $7M price tag.

But Seattle doesn't get to pick anyone they want to. They have to pick from what's available. (https://www.phlsportsnation.com/202...e-protected-and-who-is-available-for-seattle/)

That site estimated Seattle would get to pick from JvR, Patrick, Pitlick, Aube Kubel, Hagg, Ghost, and the backup goalie. I disagree with them in protecting Laughton over Patrick, assuming Patrick gets his health in order and develops. There's not exactly a "OMG I NEED THAT GUY" pick there. Pitlick, Hagg, and Aube-Kubel are dime-a-dozen guys. There will probably be 5 guys similar to them in Free Agency every single year. Why would Seattle waste an Expansion Draft slot on a player type/role they can sign in UFA a couple weeks later? So your down to JvR, Laughton, and Ghost. I can see an argument for Laughton, but I can also see an argument that a guy just like him can be signed in UFA too.

If JvR rebounds (big if, even I admit that) and scores 25-30 goals next year, Seattle isn't going to have a lot of 25-30 goal scorers available to them. $7M is a steep price, but that also might be the highest salary on their team. Everyone that makes $8M+ is typically on a no-move clause and will be protected, or is a core piece that will be protected. So 2 years, 7M, for your best chance at a 25-30 goal scorer isn't totally crazy. Same story on Ghost. A guy with his ceiling is going to be relatively rare for Seattle to pick from. $4.5M x2 years for that gamble isn't crazy.

I can see the Kraken going a different direction. They could take Laughton or Aube-Kubel, both I think are solid bottom 6 players. And both have some hope of further development. And they're going to need a bottom 6. Bellemare was the Flyers pick last time. But Seattle is going to need to take some risks on some guys and hope they can be top 6 forwards or top 4 dmen. Maybe they take those risks with other teams instead. But most top 6 forwards and top 4 dmen will be protected, so there won't be many no-brainers.
Remember JVR will be 33 by the time the Kraken have a chance to select him and as you say a HUGE IF he rebounds to a 25 goal scorer which is FAR fetched. Why would the Kraken not take Laughton also a 25 goal scorer who is younger makes less money and is a 10x better player than JVR.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember JVR will be 33 by the time the Kraken have a chance to select him and as you say a HUGE IF he rebounds to a 25 goal scorer which is FAR fetched. Why would the Kraken not take Laughton also a 25 goal scorer who is younger makes less money and is a 10x better player than JVR.

If Laughton is a 25 goal scorer at that point, absolutely, he's the no brainer pick. And the Flyers would have a real decision on their hands with him and Patrick. But this was Laughton's best season (out of 5 real seasons) and he wasn't on pace for 25 goals (21.7). And he was also scratched this playoff season. And he's 26, basically the prime age of his hockey career. There's probably not a lot of improvement left in him. So who's overrating Flyers players now? :D

And I'm not saying the Kraken will definitely take Ghost or JvR. And I definitely think Ghost is a more realistic hope. But I think it is worth the gamble for the Flyers to see if they take one of them. Rather than giving up assets to ensure they take one.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Laughton is a 25 goal scorer at that point, absolutely, he's the no brainer pick. And the Flyers would have a real decision on their hands with him and Patrick. But this was Laughton's best season (out of 5 real seasons) and he wasn't on pace for 25 goals (21.7). And he was also scratched this playoff season. And he's 26, basically the prime age of his hockey career. There's probably not a lot of improvement left in him. So who's overrating Flyers players now? :D

And I'm not saying the Kraken will definitely take Ghost or JvR. And I definitely think Ghost is a more realistic hope. But I think it is worth the gamble for the Flyers to see if they take one of them. Rather than giving up assets to ensure they take one.

Regardless though, I think the Flyers will look to move one or both this offseason. But they're going to have to take salary back. On JvR especially. With the flat cap, teams won't be able to increase their payroll like that. So if JvR gets moved, it will be for an equally under-performing player on a tough contract. We just have to hope the fit will be better.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Laughton's goal total has increased every year and this year he was on pace for 22. With those projection all pointing to him being a 25 goal scorer in two years how is that player being overated. I thought we all agreed Laughton was hurt and not a healthy scratch so how can you say he was scratched? Now JVR we all know he was a healthy scratch. Laughton better player, makes less money is younger plays a waaaay better all around game than cement skates so why would anyone pick JVR over Laughton . Thats just nuts!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laughton's goal total has increased every year and this year he was on pace for 22. With those projection all pointing to him being a 25 goal scorer in two years how is that player being overated. I thought we all agreed Laughton was hurt and not a healthy scratch so how can you say he was scratched? Now JVR we all know he was a healthy scratch. Laughton better player, makes less money is younger plays a waaaay better all around game than cement skates so why would anyone pick JVR over Laughton . Thats just nuts!

Laughton is 26. I'll let you do the research this time. How many players have linear goal scoring progression past the age of 25? I bet it's very few. The majority of players plateau in their mid-late 20s. At that stage in their career they typically 'are who they are'.

Scott Laughton was benched earlier in the series. But when the Flyers needed him in Game 5, he delivered

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laughton is 26. I'll let you do the research this time. How many players have linear goal scoring progression past the age of 25? I bet it's very few. The majority of players plateau in their mid-late 20s. At that stage in their career they typically 'are who they are'.

Scott Laughton was benched earlier in the series. But when the Flyers needed him in Game 5, he delivered
If you are seriously defending that JVR is in any way a better player than Laughton i might as well open my window and jump from the 24th floor of my office because the world has gone insane.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are seriously defending that JVR is in any way a better player than Laughton i might as well open my window and jump from the 24th floor of my office because the world has gone insane.

JvR is a better goal scorer than Laughton. That’s an undeniable fact. Any argument otherwise is the strict definition of overrating Laughton. His best season he had 13 goals, and you’re talking about him as a 25 goal scorer.

And goal scoring is MUCH more difficult to find than everything Laughton brings. That’s I a think there’s a CHANCE Seattle takes JvR. If, again big if, he bounces back a bit.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JvR is a better goal scorer than Laughton. That’s an undeniable fact. Any argument otherwise is the strict definition of overrating Laughton.
You do know there are other parts to playing hockey than scoring a few more goals in a season right?

JVR 19 goals 65 games
Laughton 13 goals 49 games

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do know there are other parts to playing hockey than scoring a few more goals in a season right?

JVR 19 goals 65 games

And you know that NHL teams pay players for goals, right?

Jeff Carter - $70M in his career. Goal scorer, that's it. (also won a cup)
JvR - $43M in his career. Goal scorer, that's it.
Malkin - $99M in his career. Strictly an offensive player. (won multiple cups)
Semin - $56M in his career. Goal scorer, nothing else.
Kovalchuk - $69M in his career. Goal scorer, nothing else.

NHL teams pay, and overpay, because guys can score. They want players that can score goals. They pay for it. They trade for it. They take prospects for it. They take them in expansion drafts. Because they can score goals. And as long as JvR is scoring goals, Seattle will think about taking him.

And you can gtfo here if you really want to argue JvR vs. Laughton as a goal scorer and nothing else. That has to make even you laugh. Laughton has 44 career goals to JvR's 247. JvR averages 27 goals per 82 games. Laughton averages f***in 11. So please. Find a different avenue.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you know that NHL teams pay players for goals, right?

Jeff Carter - $70M in his career. Goal scorer, that's it. (also won a cup)
JvR - $43M in his career. Goal scorer, that's it.
Malkin - $99M in his career. Strictly an offensive player. (won multiple cups)
Semin - $56M in his career. Goal scorer, nothing else.
Kovalchuk - $69M in his career. Goal scorer, nothing else.

NHL teams pay, and overpay, because guys can score. They want players that can score goals. They pay for it. They trade for it. They take prospects for it. They take them in expansion drafts. Because they can score goals. And as long as JvR is scoring goals, Seattle will think about taking him.

And you can gtfo here if you really want to argue JvR vs. Laughton as a goal scorer and nothing else. That has to make even you laugh. Laughton has 44 career goals to JvR's 247. JvR averages 27 goals per 82 games. Laughton averages f***in 11. So please. Find a different avenue.
Maybe being the nut lover of JVR you keep missing me posting that Laughton is a waaaaaayy better "Player" and maybe swinging from JVR's nuts you missed my post about knowing there are other parts of the game than scoring. No where in any post did i say Laughton is a better goal scorer. Reading is fundamental bruh!

Jeff Carter future hall of famer
Malkin future hall of famer
Kovalchuk future hall of famer
JVR future and current piece of shit hockey player

Its embarrassing for you to put that scrubs name in with the rest of those guys.:L

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe being the nut lover of JVR you keep missing me posting that Laughton is a waaaaaayy better "Player" and maybe swinging from JVR's nuts you missed my post about knowing there are other parts of the game than scoring. No where in any post did i say Laughton is a better goal scorer. Reading is fundamental bruh!

Jeff Carter future hall of famer
Malkin future hall of famer
Kovalchuk future hall of famer
JVR future and current piece of shit hockey player

Its embarrassing for you to put that scrubs name in with the rest of those guys.:L

You said "If you are seriously defending that JVR is in any way a better player than Laughton i might as well open my window and jump from the 24th floor of my office because the world has gone insane."

In any way. JvR is better than Laughton, in one way. Goal scoring. The most important skill a hockey player can have. The proof of that is in the amount of money paid to guys who score goals and provide little else. If that weren't the case, JvR wouldn't be making 3x what Laughton makes.

And where did I say I loved JvR's nuts? I said Seattle might consider him. And I've said multiple times I think the Flyers will try to move him. Maybe you need to consider your own reading comprehension if you think I love him. Pointing out that he's a better goal scorer than Laughton is a far cry from loving him.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Posts #42 and #49 are you insinuating Laughton is as good a goal scorer as JvR.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said "If you are seriously defending that JVR is in any way a better player than Laughton i might as well open my window and jump from the 24th floor of my office because the world has gone insane."

In any way. JvR is better than Laughton, in one way. Goal scoring. The most important skill a hockey player can have. The proof of that is in the amount of money paid to guys who score goals and provide little else. If that weren't the case, JvR wouldn't be making 3x what Laughton makes.

And where did I say I loved JvR's nuts? I said Seattle might consider him. And I've said multiple times I think the Flyers will try to move him. Maybe you need to consider your own reading comprehension if you think I love him. Pointing out that he's a better goal scorer than Laughton is a far cry from loving him.
Cmon This is the worst explanation of trying to be right when you know i 100% said Laughton is the better "player " :tsk:

Laught>JVR period. :nod:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, not to get us too off topic, but if Jeff Carter makes the HOF I'll eat my entire wardrobe and post a video for you. He's averaged 30 goals per 82 games for his career. 3 more than JvR. The difference is not nearly the Grand Canyon sized gap you make it out to be.

You just hate JvR. All I want is for you to admit that your hatred biases you against him. You have to know that is true.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon This is the worst explanation of trying to be right when you know i 100% said Laughton is the better "player " :tsk:

Laught>JVR period. :nod:

I won't even admit that. All I will admit is that Laughton does everything other than goal scoring, better than JvR. If your team needs a goal scorer though, you have to consider taking JvR over Laughton. I bet 75% of teams will expose an energy guy that PKs, plays wing or C, and can score 13-18 goals. I bet less than 10% will expose a guy that averages 27 goals/82 games for his career.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JVR 19 goals 65 games

Dude... @awaz knows his hockey. Pretty certain he knows that.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't even admit that. All I will admit is that Laughton does everything other than goal scoring, better than JvR. If your team needs a goal scorer though, you have to consider taking JvR over Laughton. I bet 75% of teams will expose an energy guy that PKs, plays wing or C, and can score 13-18 goals. I bet less than 10% will expose a guy that averages 27 goals/82 games for his career.

And if Laughton shows to be more than a 13-18 goal guy next season, and goes off for 20+, that changes the conversation. The story also changes if JvR scores less than 20.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, not to get us too off topic, but if Jeff Carter makes the HOF I'll eat my entire wardrobe and post a video for you. He's averaged 30 goals per 82 games for his career. 3 more than JvR. The difference is not nearly the Grand Canyon sized gap you make it out to be.

You just hate JvR. All I want is for you to admit that your hatred biases you against him. You have to know that is true.

Jeff Carter 382 goals 350 assts 732 points + 37
39 playoff goals 35 playoff assists 74 playoff points
Two Stanley cups Two all star appearances Calder cup winner

JVR 247 goals 234 assists 481 points -39
20 playoff goals 11 playoff assists 31 playoff points
Zero Stanley cups ZERO ALL STAR GAMES

For you to even mention JVR in the same breath as Jeff Carter is EMBARRASSING.

AGAIN There is more parts of a hockey game than scoring goals!!!!