• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16: The Denver Broncos Thread

How Far Will the Denver Broncos Go in 2015?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think it's ludicrous that Denver falls on its face and the Kansas Diego Raiders win the division.....

San Diego is the only one I see having a chance. Offensively they should be a top-10 team. I actually think Melvin Gordon will be the OROY this year. Defensively though their front-7 is just not up to par. Teams are going to be able to run on them and then with little to no pass rush should be able to sit back and pick apart the secondary. Essentially the Chargers are going to have to win games with playing keep away by running the football over and over again with timely throws by Rivers then hope the defense can make a few stops.

As for the Chiefs I just don't see how they have improved. OL wise they lost their two best OL players from a year ago in Hudson and now Ryan Harris just signed with the Broncos. They both received the two best PFF grades for the OL that was already terrible to begin with. So Alex Smith is going to be running for his life and Charles just isn't going to have the holes. WR wise have they actually improved. I mean they cut Bowe to then spend all of that money to sign Maclin. Their biggest issue last year was not having a receiver that could make a play in the Red Zone. Maclin's greatest weakness is that of in the Red Zone. He makes his plays between the 20's by beating defenses over the top. Alex Smith was actually I think the worst QB in the league last year of throws over 20 yards so then getting a receiver that makes a living making plays beyond 20 yards down the field just doesn't make sense. Smith refuses to even try to make those throws.

Essentially the Chiefs are going to have to depend on their defense being top-5 to make the playoffs this year. They have a great pass rush and what could be a pretty good secondary. I do think though on defense they will struggle with run defense. They lucked into being in one of the worst rushing divisions in football. All 3 teams have worked hard to improve in that area and the Chiefs last year were ranked 21st in yards per carry. Not sure they have done much to improve in that area.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. But I don't think they will "struggle"? Guess that really depends on your definition for struggle is?
For example if the Faiders made the playoffs and got eliminated in the first game they had a very successful year?
Now you take teams that are always competing who either miss the playoffs or get bounced in round one, that in my mind is considered an unsuccessful year.
I think Denver can make the playoffs but as it stands today won't get past the first round. unsuccesful year for them I will say yes. But I wouldn't call it a struggle if they went 8-8 or less and didn't make the playoffs. If that makes sense?

It does. It is the same for the Patriots in the sense of expectations make a difference. About half the teams in the league if they made the playoffs would be a huge season for them and their fans. For teams like ours though I would say at the last they have to win the conference championship to even begin to think of the season as a success. Kind of like in 2007 for you guys and 2013 for us in we had record setting offenses and made the Super Bowl but in the end the season doesn't quite feel like it was worth it in losing the Super Bowl.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
L
San Diego is the only one I see having a chance. Offensively they should be a top-10 team. I actually think Melvin Gordon will be the OROY this year. Defensively though their front-7 is just not up to par. Teams are going to be able to run on them and then with little to no pass rush should be able to sit back and pick apart the secondary. Essentially the Chargers are going to have to win games with playing keep away by running the football over and over again with timely throws by Rivers then hope the defense can make a few stops.

As for the Chiefs I just don't see how they have improved. OL wise they lost their two best OL players from a year ago in Hudson and now Ryan Harris just signed with the Broncos. They both received the two best PFF grades for the OL that was already terrible to begin with. So Alex Smith is going to be running for his life and Charles just isn't going to have the holes. WR wise have they actually improved. I mean they cut Bowe to then spend all of that money to sign Maclin. Their biggest issue last year was not having a receiver that could make a play in the Red Zone. Maclin's greatest weakness is that of in the Red Zone. He makes his plays between the 20's by beating defenses over the top. Alex Smith was actually I think the worst QB in the league last year of throws over 20 yards so then getting a receiver that makes a living making plays beyond 20 yards down the field just doesn't make sense. Smith refuses to even try to make those throws.

Essentially the Chiefs are going to have to depend on their defense being top-5 to make the playoffs this year. They have a great pass rush and what could be a pretty good secondary. I do think though on defense they will struggle with run defense. They lucked into being in one of the worst rushing divisions in football. All 3 teams have worked hard to improve in that area and the Chiefs last year were ranked 21st in yards per carry. Not sure they have done much to improve in that area.

Alex Smith didn't have the receiver to get open deep until Wilson came into his own and his OL didn't give him time to complete deeper plays OR give him reason to think there was going to be time. WCO is short passes with YAC and an occasional deeper play - I saw Smith get beat up trying to get that deeper pass. I won't say that he'll be much better, but I can't see concluding a 20+ receiver won't help him when he didn't have one last year (occasionally getting open after the defender is bringing him down doesn't count.

Smith won't likely get close to maximizing Maclin's ability but he will help in those areas which will help others and I think the backups to Maclin are upgraded in experience and in reliability. The OL I think will be better, though 2016 will be better than 2015.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many question marks right now for me with the system under Kubiak. I personally do not really buy into the excuse of Manning's "injury" last year. I know he will not be able to run a stretch run style that Kubiak is famous for. No way, and I mean no way does Manning have bootleg play action skills.

Based on what I saw in the play off game last year, and based on everything we have seen out of Manning dating back to Tennessee, he is a one dimensional QB who often times (too often) rolls snake eyes in big games.

I am excited about the 3-4 scheme with Von Miller who is more natural as an OLB in that scheme and Ware being in his more effective position. Combine that with a mixture of Shane Ray and Derek Wolfe on the DL, it may be interesting. I have been hoping for a switch the 3-4 for a long time.

Now with the injury with Clady and a make shift OL, it has me a bit concerned. Not sure how much I trust a seamless transition when it comes wholesale coaching changes. Although I am glad Fox is gone.

I cannot predict a record right now. I have to see how they look in preseason and see just what style of offense they are planning on running.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anything Denver will have a top five defense. Could Denver under Kubiak be planning on running the ball more this year. In Elway's last two seasons they used a heavy run game and good defense in route to two straight championships and i'm wondering if maybe they might try that approach with Manning this season. The schedule is not easy starting out with Baltimore and K.C., the toughest is after the bye Green Bay,Indy,New England,San Diego,Pittsburgh,Cincinnati,etc. Most have them being a 10 win team and honestly i think it could be 10 right on the nose or maybe eleven.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anything Denver will have a top five defense. Could Denver under Kubiak be planning on running the ball more this year. In Elway's last two seasons they used a heavy run game and good defense in route to two straight championships and i'm wondering if maybe they might try that approach with Manning this season. The schedule is not easy starting out with Baltimore and K.C., the toughest is after the bye Green Bay,Indy,New England,San Diego,Pittsburgh,Cincinnati,etc. Most have them being a 10 win team and honestly i think it could be 10 right on the nose or maybe eleven.

Elway has said from day 1 of Manning coming to town that his goal has been to surround him with a team like what Elway had the last couple of years of his career where everything is not on his shoulders. Honestly that was a big reason that Fox and company got fired was they still refused to run the football until Elway showed up about 10 weeks in and ripped them apart for the style of offense they were trying to run. This is where Kubiak coming in makes a huge difference in he has worked with 2 HOF QB's in his coaching time and helped both of them win Super Bowls by not putting the entire game on their shoulders.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bump, 16 votes seems pretty low for the Broncos.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bump, 16 votes seems pretty low for the Broncos.
Looking at your teams threads, I think the number of voters = posters view of their chances to succeed.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at your teams threads, I think the number of voters = posters view of their chances to succeed.

I would say it has more to do with what fans on this board bring about the greatest volume of posters on both sides more so than relevance to success this upcoming season. You and I both know that 1) there are a lot more Seattle fans than Bronco fans (at least there were until our latest influx of people from KFFL) so that equals more posts. When you throw in 2 off seasons ago after winning the Super Bowl there were quite a few fans that were not too happy with Seattle fans on here so the trolling got pretty heavy towards the Seahawks and that has somewhat continued although more turned towards the Patriots. 2) Controversial figures on the team help in getting more attention as well. The Broncos don't really have a loud mouth player that causes fans to not like them. There is some of that towards Manning I guess but beyond a couple of posters for the Patriots that is minimal. 3) For the Broncos especially there is a bit of the Manning is old news kind of thing going on. There are those that think he has shown signs of father time catching up but even more so that people think that the Broncos will be like every other year of showing great promise in the regular season to only then cave once the playoffs start.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say it has more to do with what fans on this board bring about the greatest volume of posters on both sides more so than relevance to success this upcoming season. You and I both know that 1) there are a lot more Seattle fans than Bronco fans (at least there were until our latest influx of people from KFFL) so that equals more posts. When you throw in 2 off seasons ago after winning the Super Bowl there were quite a few fans that were not too happy with Seattle fans on here so the trolling got pretty heavy towards the Seahawks and that has somewhat continued although more turned towards the Patriots. 2) Controversial figures on the team help in getting more attention as well. The Broncos don't really have a loud mouth player that causes fans to not like them. There is some of that towards Manning I guess but beyond a couple of posters for the Patriots that is minimal. 3) For the Broncos especially there is a bit of the Manning is old news kind of thing going on. There are those that think he has shown signs of father time catching up but even more so that people think that the Broncos will be like every other year of showing great promise in the regular season to only then cave once the playoffs start.

Don't take my comment as a knock on the Broncos per say. Just my observation that the teams in the fore front get the most votes. For example the Cardinal had a lot of votes and they don't have a lot of posters here on SportsHoopla. In fact they have fewer then the Broncos by a good bit, yet they got 21 posters voting. Just my :2cents:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't take my comment as a knock on the Broncos per say. Just my observation that the teams in the fore front get the most votes. For example the Cardinal had a lot of votes and they don't have a lot of posters here on SportsHoopla. In fact they have fewer then the Broncos by a good bit, yet they got 21 posters voting. Just my :2cents:

Maybe you are right. I think it has a lot to do with the Manning hangover and people just thinking the Broncos will be decent but because of Manning's history probably won't compete for the Super Bowl. I would also add I would bet that for the Cardinals one I would bet quite a few Seattle fans voted on that one. Haven't looked but my guess with that being their biggest competition for the year in the NFC West that at least a few voted on it. For the Broncos our rival fans don't post on the General Board hardly ever. I think I have seen 1 Chiefs fan on a semi-regular basis and one recent Chargers fan start posting.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you are right. I think it has a lot to do with the Manning hangover and people just thinking the Broncos will be decent but because of Manning's history probably won't compete for the Super Bowl. I would also add I would bet that for the Cardinals one I would bet quite a few Seattle fans voted on that one. Haven't looked but my guess with that being their biggest competition for the year in the NFC West that at least a few voted on it. For the Broncos our rival fans don't post on the General Board hardly ever. I think I have seen 1 Chiefs fan on a semi-regular basis and one recent Chargers fan start posting.
Well the Packers got 17 votes and hardly nobody post there. However SportsHoopla voters see them as a force thus the 17 voters.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the Packers got 17 votes and hardly nobody post there. However SportsHoopla voters see them as a force thus the 17 voters.

Again I see your side of it. I get it the Broncos are somewhat old news and many think with how Manning finished up last season that they are on the outside looking in when it comes to competing for the Super Bowl. My problem with that mindset is people are struggling to look past Manning to see the rest of the team. If they would they would see that this team now has something like 10 Pro Bowlers on the team beyond Manning. While I understand preseason means very little they did have the defense that lead the 4 games in sacks, yards given up, and forced fumbles. This defense stands a chance of being really really good. When you throw in the fact that this team will run the football for the first time since Manning came to town that should help out the offense to not have to put up as many points and the defense to not have to be on the field so much.

We shall see though. I'm just glad the season is here and we can be done with the 6 months of everybody pumping up their team and can finally see what they can actually do on the field.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bump, two more days to vote.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2