• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Hall of Fame Finalist

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In November, the list was cut to 26 candidates and, on Tuesday night, the 15 finalists for the class of 2017 were announced on NFL Network. It shouldn't come as a shock to hear that LaDainian Tomlinson headlines the list, which is pasted below, via Nola.com:

1. LaDainian Tomlinson (running back for the Chargers and Jets)
  2. Brian Dawkins (safety for the Eagles and Broncos)
  3. Jason Taylor (defensive end for the Dolphins, Jets, and Redskins)
  4. Morten Andersen (kicker for the Saints, Falcons, Chiefs, Vikings, and Giants)
  5. Kurt Warner (quarterback for the Rams, Cardinals, and Giants)
  6. Don Coryell (coach of the St. Louis Cardinals and Chargers)
  7. Tony Boselli (tackle for the Jaguars)
  8. Isaac Bruce (receiver for the Rams and 49ers)
  9. Terrell Davis (running back for the Broncos)
  10. Alan Faneca (guard for the Steelers, Jets, and Cardinals)
  11. Joe Jacoby (tackle for the Redskins)
  12. Ty Law (cornerback for the Patriots, Jets, Chiefs, and Broncos
  13. John Lynch (safety for the Buccaneers and Broncos)
  14. Kevin Mawae (center and guard for the Seahawks, Jets, and Titans)
  15. Terrell Owens (receiver for the 49ers, Eagles, Cowboys, Bills, and Bengals)
The 15 candidates will be considered for induction along with three other finalists who have already been named. Those three are former Seahawks safety Kenny Easley, who was selected as the Seniors Committee finalist in August, and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue -- both of whom were named contributor finalists.

Until Art Modell is in there, it is invalid !!!!! The Sham and Shame Fraternity :L

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All Billionaires are a little "different"...That's one of the biggest reasons they are billionaires, they do things a bit different than the rest of us...

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@cdumler7 pretty much answered this for me. It's not about being a criminal, it's about how many times teams couldn't wait to get rid of him, despite his obvious talent. If it was the Hall of Great Stats, he'd be a shoo-in.

Shannon Sharp said they are told to leave feelings out of it when they afe voting
It supposed to be about what the player did on the field.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is more with the HOF they do look at did you actually help your team? The fact that his teams actaully did better without him than with him could be a huge indicator that he wasn't as good as some have made him out to be. IF we are just looking at stats yes he is absolutely in. The HOF Committee voters have shown though that stats only mean so much to them. And it doesn't help him that media folks are the ones voting and well the media hated him.

That's not what Shannon Sharpe said.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@cdumler7 pretty much answered this for me. It's not about being a criminal, it's about how many times teams couldn't wait to get rid of him, despite his obvious talent. If it was the Hall of Great Stats, he'd be a shoo-in.

Terrell Owens is absolutely a hall-of-famer, trying to rationalize anything less than that is nonsense.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shannon Sharp said they are told to leave feelings out of it when they afe voting
It supposed to be about what the player did on the field.
I'm not talking about feelings, I'm talking about teams that couldn't wait to rid themselves of him despite his prodigious accomplishments. He was such a headache, such a disaster, that multiple teams decided he wasn't worth it. And then they often got better the year after he was gone.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrell Owens is absolutely a hall-of-famer, trying to rationalize anything less than that is nonsense.
Obviously the voters didn't feel that way last year, and it remains to be seen whether or not they'll put him in this year. If it were me, I wouldn't vote for him, and I do know of at least one voter who said he'll never vote for him.

Like I said, it's not the Hall of Great Stats.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously the voters didn't feel that way last year, and it remains to be seen whether or not they'll put him in this year. If it were me, I wouldn't vote for him, and I do know of at least one voter who said he'll never vote for him.

Like I said, it's not the Hall of Great Stats.

I've no doubt that he'll get in, and sooner rather than later.

Get out of here with the "hall of great stats" crap; he dominated the WR position for close to a decade

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've no doubt that he'll get in, and sooner rather than later.

Get out of here with the "hall of great stats" crap; he dominated the WR position for close to a decade
And despite his domination, multiple teams still couldn't wait to be rid of him, and got better once he was gone. One team was so sick of him that the literally paid him to sit on the bench and not even dress for nearly half a season?

Gee, does getting paid to not dress sound like a Hall of Famer to you? Because it sure doesn't to me.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And despite his domination, multiple teams still couldn't wait to be rid of him, and got better once he was gone. One team was so sick of him that the literally paid him to sit on the bench and not even dress for nearly half a season?

Gee, does getting paid to not dress sound like a Hall of Famer to you? Because it sure doesn't to me.

you're focusing WAAAY too hard on the outside noise. When you actually watch his highlights, and the way he literally toyed with opposing defenses, and the fact that for a good 4-5 seasons there wasn't a SINGLE defensive back who could negate his influence, then you'll remember why he absolutely should be in the Hall.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you're focusing WAAAY too hard on the outside noise. When you actually watch his highlights, and the way he literally toyed with opposing defenses, and the fact that for a good 4-5 seasons there wasn't a SINGLE defensive back who could negate his influence, then you'll remember why he absolutely should be in the Hall.
You're focusing WAAAY too hard on his highlights. When you actually read about what a distraction he was, the way he literally tore multiple teams apart, and the fact that EVERY team got sick of him and couldn't wait to get rid of him after a few seasons, then you'll remember why he has no business in the Hall.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I'm not disputing that TO was a great player, he most certainly was. I just don't think he should be in the Hall of Fame, despite his accomplishments off the field. The Hall of Fame is about more than just putting up great numbers. If Terrell Owens wouldn't have been such a head case, he could have had a long career with one or two teams, maybe won a couple of Super Bowls, and could have made a case for being the second greatest receiver of all time. As it was, he'll go down as an extremely talented nutjob who never realized his full potential because he was too busy getting himself kicked off of multiple teams. That's not a Hall of Famer to me, and no argument will convince me otherwise.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I'm not disputing that TO was a great player, he most certainly was. I just don't think he should be in the Hall of Fame, despite his accomplishments off the field. The Hall of Fame is about more than just putting up great numbers. If Terrell Owens wouldn't have been such a head case, he could have had a long career with one or two teams, maybe won a couple of Super Bowls, and could have made a case for being the second greatest receiver of all time. As it was, he'll go down as an extremely talented nutjob who never realized his full potential because he was too busy getting himself kicked off of multiple teams. That's not a Hall of Famer to me, and no argument will convince me otherwise.
You're allowing feelings to make a judgement. Personally I can't stand TO, I wasn't happy when he wore the STAR, but there is no denying he is one of the greatest WRs to play the game and top 1 or 3 when graded against those who played whwn he did.
Writers need to stop playing GOD and vote on talent, not if they "LIKE" a guy or not.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're allowing feelings to make a judgement. Personally I can't stand TO, I wasn't happy when he wore the STAR, but there is no denying he is one of the greatest WRs to play the game and top 1 or 3 when graded against those who played whwn he did.
Writers need to stop playing GOD and vote on talent, not if they "LIKE" a guy or not.
No, I'm not judging him on feelings. I'm judging him on the fact that multiple teams couldn't wait to get rid of the guy. That multiple teams got better immediately after getting rid of him. And that one team willingly paid him to sit on the bench because they were so sick of him.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'm not judging him on feelings. I'm judging him on the fact that multiple teams couldn't wait to get rid of the guy. That multiple teams got better immediately after getting rid of him. And that one team willingly paid him to sit on the bench because they were so sick of him.
I understand that, now name better WRs who played along TO the majority of his career. I'll givevyou Moss and maybe C.J. but that list is short. Ass or not he was a major threat who Defenses HAD to game plan for. I dont look at off field BS when I geade a players worth.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that, now name better WRs who played along TO the majority of his career. I'll givevyou Moss and maybe C.J. but that list is short. Ass or not he was a major threat who Defenses HAD to game plan for. I dont look at off field BS when I geade a players worth.
Yes, he was great. I've never disputed that. If that was all there was about him, he's a shoo-in for the HoF.

HOWEVER, there's that little inconvenient fact that despite his incredible talent, multiple teams still got sick of him and couldn't dump him fast enough. And like it or not, that does come up in regards to his candidacy. Is his incredible talent and great stats enough to overcome his team-destroying antics? Some say yes. I say that's not enough. Because TO was more than just your usual distraction, he actually sabotaged team's he was playing for. That's not someone who belongs in the Hall of Fame in my book.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he was great. I've never disputed that. If that was all there was about him, he's a shoo-in for the HoF.

HOWEVER, there's that little inconvenient fact that despite his incredible talent, multiple teams still got sick of him and couldn't dump him fast enough. And like it or not, that does come up in regards to his candidacy. Is his incredible talent and great stats enough to overcome his team-destroying antics? Some say yes. I say that's not enough. Because TO was more than just your usual distraction, he actually sabotaged team's he was playing for. That's not someone who belongs in the Hall of Fame in my book.
TO spent 8 years with the Niners. 5 years with the Eagles and Cowboys wasn't top 10 in pay with the Eagles which seems odd in today's day and age. Played hurt in the Super Bowl. 13 years is about normal for an elite HOF WR resume. Heck, Calvin Johnson only played 9 years total.

I agree that he was a huge locker room cancer but I would hardly say he was team destroying. I dont remember the Niners, Eagles or Cowboys winning a Super Bowl without him.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TO spent 8 years with the Niners. 5 years with the Eagles and Cowboys wasn't top 10 in pay with the Eagles which seems odd in today's day and age. Played hurt in the Super Bowl. 13 years is about normal for an elite HOF WR resume. Heck, Calvin Johnson only played 9 years total.

I agree that he was a huge locker room cancer but I would hardly say he was team destroying. I dont remember the Niners, Eagles or Cowboys winning a Super Bowl without him.
He pretty much destroyed the Eagles in 2005. Bill Parcells, himself a Hall of Famer, wanted nothing to do with TO and famously referred to him as "the player." Philadelphia went from 6-10 with Owens to 10-6 without him. Dallas went from 9-7 with Owens to 11-5 without him. Cincinnati went from 4-12 with Owens to 9-7 without him. Three teams immediately improved on their record by dumping Owens.

Owens was great. He was also more trouble than he was worth.