• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 5.2 Let's get swept! (10:35 am)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is it that Lee just hit into some bad luck but Soler is struggling and Conforto is slumping? All three look bad right now
Not if you watch the ABs...Lee made solid, loud contact all series. Soler hit the ball hard yesterday but has been K'ing a lot....Forto hasn't even been making hard contact.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they win 2 of 3 that means a game got rained out.
Eh, baseball is weird as you know game by game. My putrid White Sox swept the Rays this past weekend...then got swept by the Twins

Chalk for this series would be Phillies take 2, big success for us would be Giants take 2 somehow

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of league average, here's what the average MLB hitter has done this year:

.239 AVG
.313 OBP
.383 SLG

So ... before being disgusted by someone's .230-something batting average, just know that that's normal in 2024.
Who even looks at BA anymore? OPS is the new BA

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if you watch the ABs...Lee made solid, loud contact all series. Soler hit the ball hard yesterday but has been K'ing a lot....Forto hasn't even been making hard contact.
The joys of baseball, you can hit it hard and still be in a slump

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to give a shout out to FYWW they were excellent today in a year where so far they have not been

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am excited about Black as well. But what happens when Snell comes back? And/or Cobb? And/or Ray?
Cobb looks to be another few weeks away. Ray even further. Not sure if Snell will take rehab starts but wouldn’t be surprised. Black should get looks until one of them is ready. The Giants squandered two opportunities to see what he could do after Snell went down. Not sure why they felt bullpen games were a better option than him.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harrison pitched effectively again but he has got to be able to pitch more than 5 innings

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is it that Lee just hit into some bad luck but Soler is struggling and Conforto is slumping? All three look bad right now
Its astonishing how often this team which has a pretty decent lineup this year manages to go into team-wide hitting slumps

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its astonishing how often this team which has a pretty decent lineup this year manages to go into team-wide hitting slumps
I think the lineup is overrated.
Lee was a good hitter in Korea. However, hitters from Korea don’t usually hit very well in MLB. He is young so he could eventually find some success but the first year over can be really rough.
Conforto hasn’t been good for a number of years now. There is nothing new here.
Chapman has been declining offensively for a number of years. His value is in his glove.
No one has mistaken Ahmed for having a good bat. He is what he is.
Soler can have tremendous seasons. He can also have horrible seasons. One can only hope this turns out to be the former and not the latter.
Yastrzemski is an up and down hitter. He is a fine complementary piece but not one to carry the lineup
Bailey’s calling card is his glove. Any production from his bat is a plus.
Estrada can be better. Wade could get worse.
This lineup has potential . . . For a really good year or for disaster. The too early to call it prognosis is not good. That being said, if the bullpen can stabilize, this team would win enough games with defense and pitching to be possible contenders.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee was a good hitter in Korea. However, hitters from Korea don’t usually hit very well in MLB. He is young so he could eventually find some success but the first year over can be really rough.
Chapman has been declining offensively for a number of years. His value is in his glove.
Soler can have tremendous seasons. He can also have horrible seasons. One can only hope this turns out to be the former and not the latter.
Yastrzemski is an up and down hitter. He is a fine complementary piece but not one to carry the lineup
This lineup has potential . . . For a really good year or for disaster. The too early to call it prognosis is not good. That being said, if the bullpen can stabilize, this team would win enough games with defense and pitching to be possible contenders.
My belief is it will take one hitter to inspire this team. Once they start hitting the others will follow. At least that sounds good.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can’t blame management this year. They went out and signed what they expected to be three solid bats and they expected improvement from Conforto now that he is healthy. With the pitching they went out and got Hicks and Snell. It’s up to the players to perform now

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can’t blame management this year. They went out and signed what they expected to be three solid bats and they expected improvement from Conforto now that he is healthy. With the pitching they went out and got Hicks and Snell. It’s up to the players to perform now
3?

Soler, ok. I will give you that.

Lee? Young and Korean. I personally think he has just been babip’d to death, so I will give a break on him.

I assume you are referring to Chapman as the 3rd? His bat has been disappearing for years. And he wasn’t signed for his bat anyway.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3?

Soler, ok. I will give you that.

Lee? Young and Korean. I personally think he has just been babip’d to death, so I will give a break on him.

I assume you are referring to Chapman as the 3rd? His bat has been disappearing for years. And he wasn’t signed for his bat anyway.
They kept talking about Chapman as a middle of the order bat though even though it seemed like those days might be behind him. I think Lee was an MVP in Korea? Chapman and Soler at least brought some power to a lineup that was pretty much bereft of it last year
Seems to me this lineup could be pretty good but it’s tough to win a series in Boston though when you only get 15 hits in the entire series
I have a feeling they are going to find their form

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They kept talking about Chapman as a middle of the order bat though even though it seemed like those days might be behind him. I think Lee was an MVP in Korea? Chapman and Soler at least brought some power to a lineup that was pretty much bereft of it last year
Seems to me this lineup could be pretty good but it’s tough to win a series in Boston though when you only get 15 hits in the entire series
I have a feeling they are going to find their form
The best smelling turd is still a piece of shit. On THIS team, he IS a middle of the order bat. That doesn’t make him a “middle of the order bat”, though. Every team has an opening day starting pitcher. Not every team has an Ace.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best smelling turd is still a piece of shit. On THIS team, he IS a middle of the order bat. That doesn’t make him a “middle of the order bat”, though. Every team has an opening day starting pitcher. Not every team has an Ace.
The fact that the team sold him as a middle of an order bat shows their desperation to look like they did what they sought to do this past offseason. His OPS+ has been right at average (100 in 2021) to slightly above average (116 in 2022) the past three seasons. That is quite the difference to the 3 seasons prior to that, where his OPS+ was between 120 and 137. As you mention, hardly a "middle of the order bat".

Oh, and @tzill , good news. His K rate this year is lower than its been since 2019. Either that, or there is going to be some regression in how often he strikes out.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha ha! Good lord that’s harsh. The Giants have three rock solid starters and should get two more guys with serious potential at the break
It’s impossible that they will hit this poorly for much longer