• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A thought exercise.

Suppose everyone (except Lee) is healthy. What does the 26 man look like? My guess:

SP: Webb, Snell, Ray, Hicks, Harrison (where does this put Cobb?)
RP: Doval, Taylor, Tyler, Walker, Hjelle, (Cobb), Jackson, Miller (where does this leave Howard, Rodriguez, Small, Beck?)

C: Bailey, Casali (where does this leave Murph?)

IF: Wade, Estrada, Ahmed, Chapman, Flores, Wisely (Fitzgerald, Schmitt, Brooks?)

OF: Conforto, Ramos, Yaz, Slater (Matos?)

DH: Soler

I didn't include obvious AAA players like Avila, Black, McDonald, Roupp, Teng, Sabol, Villar, Meckler as they only come up if there are injuries.

You missed Warren. Maybe Jackson becomes expendable? Maybe Hicks or Harrison sleeps on their eye wrong and needs to go on the IL for a couple weeks? I think Brooks is an easy DFA candidate. I would like to see them try to deal Yaz for some lotto tix. He has value, so the return should be decent.
It is a fun exercise but I think we all know someone is going to land on the IL before everyone gets healthy. Jackson may be pitching injured, who knows.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a fun exercise but I think we all know someone is going to land on the IL before everyone gets healthy. Jackson may be pitching injured, who knows.
Even if he isn’t, he probably is.

• Winner
Reactions: LHG

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ramos has been balling. No need to send him down anymore. Ramos and Lee will be starters for 2/3rds of the outfield for a long time

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ramos has been balling. No need to send him down anymore. Ramos and Lee will be starters for 2/3rds of the outfield for a long time
I think that's correct and I really wouldn't be surprised if the third OF is Matos.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's correct and I really wouldn't be surprised if the third OF is Matos.
Or Luciano.

Incidentally, Thrill was on KNBR earlier this week (M&M, I think) and said that Lucky does NOT have a future at 1B. He said he just doesnt have the footwork for it.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or Luciano.

Incidentally, Thrill was on KNBR earlier this week (M&M, I think) and said that Lucky does NOT have a future at 1B. He said he just doesnt have the footwork for it.
Normally I'd take something like this as a data point but as it's Clark I'd say its a dispositive determination. So he can't play 1B, IF may not be an option. I guess that leaves OF. Or DH. Maybe we trade Soler?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally I'd take something like this as a data point but as it's Clark I'd say its a dispositive determination. So he can't play 1B, IF may not be an option. I guess that leaves OF. Or DH. Maybe we trade Soler?
When Clark has said definitive things about our kids, he typically isn’t talking out his ass. He seems to be a pretty good judge for talent and he has a good grasp of our system. And you know he isn’t going to be Kruk and just see everything covered in pixie-dust.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would really like to know what it is about Fitzgerald that makes the Giants send him down and, when up, not play much. His bat shows he deserves playing time. Is his defense that bad?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we trade Luciano for a proven young MLer like Robert or Bichette instead. Soler is a separate problem.

This board seems to really have difficulty understanding the Giants' situation. They aren't gonna win rings solely by drafting and developing their own people. And they aren't going to ever be able to sign the major impact bats like Judge or Soto or Ohtani. So they have to be smart with drafting and developing, and also sign mid level guys (like they did in 2010-2014, signing contributors like Huff and Scutaro and Rowand and Morse and Renteria and Affeldt and Lopez and on and on).

And ALSO sometimes they will have to TRADE their up and comers for guys a little older that have already established they are who we hope the prospects will be. It can't be about winning every trade or you don't trade. The best trades are where both teams 'win'. Asymmetrical needs makes that possible. I keep bringing this up because it fits so well, trading Matos and Luciano and a good pitching prospect for Luis Robert makes sense for both teams because of where they are. There's risk to both, because both are teams that have to take risks. But if Robert comes in as one of our best hitters (he would be) who can play OF well, and then the guys we trade turn into good players in 3 years, so what? Win now (us) vs win later (them).

These other teams have needs too, we can swap our surplus for theirs and not worry about what we give up. Winning is what matters, not winning every trade.