• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wonka (2023)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A prequel. Nothing will ever compare to Wilder, so I need to keep that in mind when I see Chalamet in the role. But right now, I can’t get beyond that aspect.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks fun albeit adolescent. Hugh Grant as an Oompa Lumpa is a nice touch.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks fun albeit adolescent. Hugh Grant as an Oompa Lumpa is a nice touch.
One who CAN converse in English. Could add more to their back story.

With the clear aesthetic similarities and the same team behind it, I wonder if they will retcon this franchise into the HP universe?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With the clear aesthetic similarities and the same team behind it, I wonder if they will retcon this franchise into the HP universe?
that's just dumb

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I could see maybe an easter egg but not a full retcon.

But who knows, really? You don't hire one of the biggest young male actors in the world to do a one off movie.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw this for the first time a few weeks back. It was very meh, but it was still miles ahead of the Depp version.

But there was thing that interested me at the time, but the more it has festered in my brain since, the more it has captured me. Near the beginning, when he has a big musical number at the 4 corners, the narrative changes from a full out musical number with choreographed dancing and everyone in on the bit, to the townsfolk are shown just walking around while a drab looking Willy is prancing around, singing and bothering people. This break in the facade only lasted MAYBE 5 seconds, but it makes me totally rethink both Wilder’s movie and this movie (Depps was just an almost scene-for-scene remake of Wilder’s movie, so it isn’t even worth bringing up here).

My theory…

That sub-scene means that none of what we saw in these movies actually happened. They are just how Willie sees the world. Almost the same technique as JoJo Rabbit. Only in the Wonka movies, we see all the POVs through Wonka’s crazy hallucinations. This theory leans well into the old theory that Wonka was actually a mass murderer and the other 4 kids all got murdered during the tour. Willy sees it all as just some elaborate, fun game while everyone else sees it for what it is (Five Nights at Freddy’s).

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw this for the first time a few weeks back. It was very meh, but it was still miles ahead of the Depp version.

But there was thing that interested me at the time, but the more it has festered in my brain since, the more it has captured me. Near the beginning, when he has a big musical number at the 4 corners, the narrative changes from a full out musical number with choreographed dancing and everyone in on the bit, to the townsfolk are shown just walking around while a drab looking Willy is prancing around, singing and bothering people. This break in the facade only lasted MAYBE 5 seconds, but it makes me totally rethink both Wilder’s movie and this movie (Depps was just an almost scene-for-scene remake of Wilder’s movie, so it isn’t even worth bringing up here).

My theory…

That sub-scene means that none of what we saw in these movies actually happened. They are just how Willie sees the world. Almost the same technique as JoJo Rabbit. Only in the Wonka movies, we see all the POVs through Wonka’s crazy hallucinations. This theory leans well into the old theory that Wonka was actually a mass murderer and the other 4 kids all got murdered during the tour. Willy sees it all as just some elaborate, fun game while everyone else sees it for what it is (Five Nights at Freddy’s).

although the movie wasn't bad, it felt too much like dickens and not enough Dahl...

wish it was more of an origin story... they could have done more will child Willy and his mother...