• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Running QBs

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like QBs capable of running the ball or passing are trending right now. I understand that it is hard to defend a guy that can pass and run but I wonder if teams are considering wear and tear over the season.

Michael Vick has been injured several times over the last few season. RG3 had a bad knee injury to finish out last year. It makes me wonder if the running QB is going to stick around or if it is a phase. I see benefits in having one in that you have more options but it also seems like these QBs are at higher risks of finishing a season on IR or having shortened careers due to injury or just slowing with age.

The best QBs are guys who rip teams apart with the minds and arms but I wonder if we will see a crop of young runners step up to challenge them.

What is everyone's take? Is a running QB something we can expect to see for quite awhile?

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as it's working, we'll see it. Like the wildcat. The difference is a running QB isn't really a gimmick, so I can see running QBs sticking better than the WC.

The only problem is running QBs have a shorter shelf life than pocket QBs, so I doubt they ever become the preferred choice, but they're probably going to be a seen a bit more regularly moving forward.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roger Staubach. Fran Tarkenton. Steve Young. Ken Stabler.

There have been running QBs before who had decent success and shelf lives.

But with the defenders getting bigger and faster every year, I don't think the upcoming crops of running quarterbacks will last as long as the aforementioned did.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Running qb's aren't a new thing; they've been around forever. Fran Tarkenton, Randall Cunningham, Steve McNair, Vick, Donovan McNabb, Elway, Steve Young - all of those guys were capable of hurting you with their legs. Having an additional way to attack a defense is a good thing, and a qb capable of hurting you with his legs as well as his arms will always be popular.

The fact is, though, you won't last as long taking those hits and the coaches and qb's know it. That's why a lot of times you'll see qb's pile up the rushing yards early in their career, especially when they aren't as adept in the passing game, and then slow down with taking off later in their careers. Part of that is that they slow down as they get older, but a big part of that is also that they become more adept at passing and don't have the need to take off as much.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of these guys have a better build for it than others. Vick, RGIII and Rodgers should probably run less than they do. Cam seems pretty thick-bodied (and thick-skulled) and can take it. Kaps and Wilson I'm not sure about yet. Wilson seems pretty smart about it.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a difference between running qbs and mobile qbs. Running QBs are gimmicks, they have a short lifespan. However, I think having a pass first QB that is capable of moving when the situation calls for it are becoming a must (Or having some monster that's tough to take down like Ben or Eli).

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a difference between running qbs and mobile qbs. Running QBs are gimmicks, they have a short lifespan. However, I think having a pass first QB that is capable of moving when the situation calls for it are becoming a must (Or having some monster that's tough to take down like Ben or Eli).

Could you give examples of running qbs versus mobile qbs? I guess when I think of running qbs I think of someone like Tebow, who isn't really a qb. So if you could clarify that would be really helpful.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could you give examples of running qbs versus mobile qbs? I guess when I think of running qbs I think of someone like Tebow, who isn't really a qb. So if you could clarify that would be really helpful.

Rothelisberger and Cutler are what I would consider mobile QBs, not runners. From what I remember of Elway (which is not a lot, I became a football fan in his winning superbowl years) he was more mobile.

The way I think of it is a mobile QB is still looking to pass first and will scramble and throw on the run to get a little extra time. Run first QBs will run options or be more likely to tuck and run it quickly. Tebow is a good example. I think he would look to his first option and then tuck and run if that guy was covered. RG3 tried to beat opponents with his legs as much as his arm last season from what I saw.

I think the distinction between a mobile QB and a running QB is very fine but I generally think mobile QBs are guys still looking to pass first and will move to do so. Running QBs seem to run first on a lot of plays.

I know it is not a new phenomenon but I guess we have seen a resurgence in the past couple of years with Vick, Newton, Wilson, Kaepernick, RG3, and Tebow.

Orange-and-Blue

Go Broncos!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trend to a more mobile QB is a product of the game's evolution. The league is now a passing league which means more emphasis on spreading out the field on offense and rushing the QB on defense. Having a mobile QB is a luxury so long as they understand when to slide or run out of bounds. RG3 learned the hard way this past season.

Yellow Fuzzies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is nice to use the fresh legs of young running QBs, but they just don't last with the speed and size in the NFL. If the QB is allowed or coached to run in this league he most likely won't last and that is bad for the long term. Even with the skill set of RG3 or Cam, they will need to limit their instinct to run if their team is to count on them for most of a season and career. I think the coaches are going to reemphasize safety to their running QBs which should significantly decrease carries in the future.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference we are seeing today with RGIII, Russel Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, is these guys are QB's who are both mobile and can run well.

They run a lot of plays out of the pistol formation, which has the run option, a designed play, as opposed to a QB who will just take off and run improvising it.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference we are seeing today with RGIII, Russel Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, is these guys are QB's who are both mobile and can run well.

They run a lot of plays out of the pistol formation, which has the run option, a designed play, as opposed to a QB who will just take off and run improvising it.

Well, I'm sure there have been plenty of QBs that were mobile and can run well, but I think the difference is we're finally seeing offensive coordinators actually willing to build an offense where the QBs running ability is apart of the offense, like the pistol. As long as it's successful, OCs will continue to be a bit more risky.