• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best/Most Successful Spin-offs

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same actor? Pernell Roberts only played the character on Trapper John, MD. Wayne Roger’s only played the character on the TV show. Elliott Gould only played the character in the movie.

I read an article a number of years ago spelling out how TJMD was a book “spinoff” and not related to the movie or show. I can’t find that article now, but I did find one that mentions that the TJMD producers went to court with the MASH show producers claiming they were a spinoff of the movie, not the show (royalty reasons), and they won that case. So even though they marketed the show as a MASH show spin-off AT THE TIME, officially, LEGALLY, it is not a show spinoff.

Haa! My bad, I read it wrong:

"Roberts played the character more than twice as long as had Wayne Rogers (1972–75) on the TV series M*A*S*H. The role of Trapper John was played by Elliott Gould in the film."

I read it that that Roberts had played the character on MASH twice as long as Rogers, not Roberts played the character on TJ MD twice as long as Rogers did on MASH.
No, I didn't look at the years and do math...I'm at work, Fuck Math.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haa! My bad, I read it wrong:

"Roberts played the character more than twice as long as had Wayne Rogers (1972–75) on the TV series M*A*S*H. The role of Trapper John was played by Elliott Gould in the film."

I read it that that Roberts had played the character on MASH twice as long as Rogers, not Roberts played the character on TJ MD twice as long as Rogers did on MASH.
No, I didn't look at the years and do math...I'm at work, Fuck Math.

Maybe Trapper John is a spin off of Bonanza?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only say that because of Adam Cartwright being Trapper John.
And I only “ponder” it because the name of the ranch in Bonanza was called the “Ponderosa”.

Now that we are done stating obvious things…

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True spin off, or were there just some late references to B&B in KotH? Was Hank a character on B&B?

I guess I was wrong. Thought he was Hank in both

Was King of the Hill a spin-off of Beavis and Butt-Head? Not technically, but both were produced and voiced by Mike Judge. He did both Anderson and Hank as more or less the same voice.Feb 1, 2021

I wasn’t challenging, I was genuinely asking. I appreciated B&B, but never really watched it (I liked the idea of it more than liking it specifically for itself). Same with KotH. I enjoyed the few episodes I saw, but I never made a point to do a proper viewing.

Hank Hill is based off the character Tom Anderson from Beavis and Butthead (from Liquid Television, although I don't think it qualifies as a spin off since Liquid TV was all shorts). I guess KOTH would be considered a spin off had Mike Judge kept Anderson's name. But the actual characters are a little different in some of their quirks. I think Anderson is supposed to be a little older than Hill, so maybe that could explain the small differences.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was an episode with Gibbs working with Harm and his team. It has never been released for streaming (lots of ‘80s and ‘90s episodes are lost to streaming due to music licensing) and I have never seen it, but there has been lots of direct crossover between JAG and NCIS:LA (Harm made a few appearances, for example).

Season 8 Episodes 20 & 21. Harm is court martialed for murder and the NCIS team investigates.

The Admiral dates a lady whose son turns out to be a drug addict. The son was played by McGee.

NCIS New Orleans the first female on the team was in a number of episodes of JAG, but I don't know if her character is the same.