• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16 The Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

How Far Will the Pittsburgh Steelers Go in 2015?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As explained in the Team-by-Team Thread, I am planning on making a thread every four days for a different team. The first few posts will be questions, requests for predictions, etc. There will be a poll unless I don't feel like making one. Some teams are less interesting than others. Please participate in posting articles, predictions, etc.

Last Year: The Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

This Year So Far:

1. The New England Patriots Thread
2. The Seattle Seahawks Thread
3. The Indianapolis Colts Thread
4. The Green Bay Packers Thread
5. The Baltimore Ravens Thread
6. The Carolina Panthers Thread
7. The Denver Broncos Thread
8. The Dallas Cowboys Thread
9. The Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the schedule being what it is, and the defense being as green as it is, i think Pittsburgh will be scratching and clawing for that last wildcard spot for the majority of the season. They'll get it, go on the road, offense will have a so-so day and the D will give up too many big plays, we lose, season over. Would love nothing more than to be wrong and we kick ass in the playoffs, I just dont see it

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's very weird seeing Pittsburgh transform into such a great offense but such a mediocre D. I was always used to the opposite.

That said, still too many question marks on D IMO and that over the last 15-20 years has won championships. I think offense is enough to get you by in the regular season to an extent, but starts to falter in the playoffs. To keep up that level of offensive play going against good defenses, you just start to heavily go against odds.

I think Steelers are going to WC it behind the Ravens. I got Ravens 11-5, Steelers 10-6. Ravens killed the offseason/draft too much IMO for them not to be division favorites. I think the Steelers lose divisional where defenses really start to factor in.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest road block to the SB is right in their division, Ravens. Got at least get a split with the Ravens. One of these teams are going to the SB.

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh will be able to run and if hey can as well as last year I seethem competing. Keeping their D off the field and torching secondaries hopefully not ours.

IMO I se the AFC North matching up well against the NFC West similar styles home filed wil be crucial in these games.

Pittsburgh goes 10-6 imo.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair assessments... Consensus is that they definitely have the offensive firepower to get to the postseason, but the defense could likely be their downfall.

Of course I have high hopes for them, but realistically they are still another year or 2 before their defense is up to speed. The youth movement needs to step up this year if they are going to have much success in December/January. I think we will see some good strides on D this year. Having a more basic defensive scheme is going to do wonders for this group. The Lebeau-Learning-Curve was definitely a hindrance. The faster they can develop these younger guys, the more likely they will be in contention for the SB.

Captain obvious out...

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's very weird seeing Pittsburgh transform into such a great offense but such a mediocre D. I was always used to the opposite.

That said, still too many question marks on D IMO and that over the last 15-20 years has won championships. I think offense is enough to get you by in the regular season to an extent, but starts to falter in the playoffs. To keep up that level of offensive play going against good defenses, you just start to heavily go against odds.

I think Steelers are going to WC it behind the Ravens. I got Ravens 11-5, Steelers 10-6. Ravens killed the offseason/draft too much IMO for them not to be division favorites. I think the Steelers lose divisional where defenses really start to factor in.
When I read your post I thoght maybe I had written it:-) You're spot on. I'm still picking Cowboys or GB representing the NFC this year.

Ravskins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair assessments... Consensus is that they definitely have the offensive firepower to get to the postseason, but the defense could likely be their downfall.

Of course I have high hopes for them, but realistically they are still another year or 2 before their defense is up to speed. The youth movement needs to step up this year if they are going to have much success in December/January. I think we will see some good strides on D this year. Having a more basic defensive scheme is going to do wonders for this group. The Lebeau-Learning-Curve was definitely a hindrance. The faster they can develop these younger guys, the more likely they will be in contention for the SB.

Captain obvious out...

Captain obvious out...

Captain obvious out...

A more basic scheme? Have they moved away from the zone blitz? That will be strange to see from a Steelers D.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I read your post I thoght maybe I had written it:-) You're spot on. I'm still picking Cowboys or GB representing the NFC this year.

Cheers good sir, great minds think alike :suds:

Boys/Packers isn't a bad selection either. Cowboys O-Line is BEAST... I think McFadden is a HUGE sleeper. I'm looking forward to potentially toasting my FF league with him.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A more basic scheme? Have they moved away from the zone blitz? That will be strange to see from a Steelers D.

Nobody really knows at this point. Its all speculation on what we will see. Butler gave some comments about keeping a lot of the same schemes, but he will start to implement more 4-3. They have mainly talked about simplifying the secondary. Not sure what that means yet. But I think not having Polamalu back there is going to strengthen the group. Less gambling and leaving the pther safety/corners alone.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cheers good sir, great minds think alike :suds:

Boys/Packers isn't a bad selection either. Cowboys O-Line is BEAST... I think McFadden is a HUGE sleeper. I'm looking forward to potentially toasting my FF league with him.
It will be a tough/great divisional round. I feel (depending on final records) Sea, AZ, GB and DAL will be battling it out. All speculations at this point considering camps haven't even started. Can't wait to get the season started.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland takes the division at 10-6. Pittsburgh loses their first game and it brakes their heart.
Ravens say"what, us"

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland takes the division at 10-6. Pittsburgh loses their first game and it brakes their heart.
Ravens say"what, us"

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My homer half voted Win SB.

Realistically...while I do think winning the SB is within the grasp a lot had to happen early on DEF.

The Steelers D had a lot of splash plays against them...especially vs the run...that exposed the aging back end and youth at LB...in turn LaBeau had to protect the backend...not a whole lot of blitzing, thus not much pressure on the QB. That can't happen against this schedule.

What new?...The emergence of McCullers and Tuitt on the DL gives the new DC, Butler a chance to use some 4 DL fronts and use the speed and athleticism Shazier and the rookie Dupree bring on the edge. Probably the best group of young athletes they've had on the front 7 in 8 to 10 yrs. I think Butler will be more aggressive up front.

Back end...honestly, the only thing I can say with confidence is they will be younger, and faster without Troy and Ike...if I had to guess...Allen resume his spot outside and Gay on the other...Blake and the rookie Golson become the 3rd and 4 cbs. Shark at SS, Mitchell improves on his 1st yr as a Steeler @ FS.

10-6...and that should be in the hunt for the DIV with everyone playing the west in both conferences.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They were zone blitz in name only the last few years actually...The number of times LeBeau rushed 5 or more was very few and far between. To piggyback off Face's comments.

I think Butler will simplify the back end coverages because you won't have that much freelancing from the SS position with S. Thomas for certain.

Not confirmed, but I think there will be a 4 DL sub pkg to get both DTs on the field. Now, this is just me thinking out loud, but he has to find a way to use Shazier's speed on the edge or shooting a gap inside.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know why, but i think the D is gonna be much improved, new coordinator, new blood.....

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
me likes

i heard bryant looks like a monster this offseasons

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know why, but i think the D is gonna be much improved, new coordinator, new blood.....

I agree...I think they have better players on DEF now, and some of them got some experience LY...if Shark steps into the SS role and plays well...the DEF will be better.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree...I think they have better players on DEF now, and some of them got some experience LY...if Shark steps into the SS role and plays well...the DEF will be better.

shark is the big question mark. honestly , with him seeing no time last year, with mitchell obviously hurt and troy fading badly, it makes me really question him....