• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Philadelphia Flyers 2024 Off Season Thread

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Athletic: Its what we need to build a cup winner:

That’s the Stanley Cup Checklist. It was originally based on a decade of champions and has since been updated to include all winners from the 2010 Blackhawks to the 2023 Golden Knights.

The guideline for what a team should be striving for per position is the average Game Score Value Added (GSVA) of past champs, with a range that extends one standard deviation in each direction. The data is calculated two ways: Actual values solely based on the 2023-24 season on a per-82 game basis and projected value based on the last three seasons, weighed for recency and adjusted for age. Those three years are only from the NHL level, so if a player has less experience then those games are just emphasized more.

Sometimes a team doesn’t need to have gold checks across the board to succeed — pluses in one direction can make up for a weakness in another. Plus this doesn’t account for playing styles and other contextual factors. That’s why this isn’t the end-all-be-all for analysis — it just helps pinpoint areas of strength and those that lack.

After we looked at the eight Western Conference teams, our focus now shifts to the East.

Cup Checklist Legend

Red X: Falls below the range entirely

Grey checkmark: Passable, but below the average champion

Black checkmark: Above average relative to the average Cup winner

Gold checkmark: Exceeds the range entirely

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, Crispy and lasgop, I agree. I get the sense that Briere and Torts are working behind the scenes to get through this mess and hopefully bring back our best goalie so far virtually unscathed.

They also appear to be finding good players, which apparently are not readily available, even though it may look like the Flyers are being the destination point for half of Russia.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Athletic: Here's what they gave us as rankings:

Philadelphia Flyers

The Flyers were one of the biggest surprises this season. Their output was greater than the sum of their parts, which pushed them to hold a playoff slot for much of the year. Sticking to the rebuilding plan and selling hurt in the short term but should pay off down the line.

There are questions back in goal, like whether Samuel Ersson and Ivan Fedotov are ready to team up to play an 82-game season, or if the Flyers need more help between the pipes.

But another year of seasoning should benefit young talents like Morgan Frost, Cam York, Tyson Foerster and Noah Cates ahead. Plus there is the potential for players like Bobby Brink to become mainstays. The vision is coming together in Philadelphia and this year was a glimpse of what’s to come.

Yep, Crispy and lasgop, I agree. I get the sense that Briere and Torts are working behind the scenes to get through this mess and hopefully bring back our best goalie so far virtually unscathed.

They also appear to be finding good players, which apparently are not readily available, even though it may look like the Flyers are being the destination point for half of Russia.
I just hope its possible to get rid of some dead weight so that we can keep rebuilding. Atkinson and Risto being my top two i want gone.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent lasgop. I see an emerging great team there. Need a few more pieces. I just hope the Flyers can find some knucklehead team who would take Risto for starters.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Athletic: Here's what they gave us as rankings:

Philadelphia Flyers

The Flyers were one of the biggest surprises this season. Their output was greater than the sum of their parts, which pushed them to hold a playoff slot for much of the year. Sticking to the rebuilding plan and selling hurt in the short term but should pay off down the line.

There are questions back in goal, like whether Samuel Ersson and Ivan Fedotov are ready to team up to play an 82-game season, or if the Flyers need more help between the pipes.

But another year of seasoning should benefit young talents like Morgan Frost, Cam York, Tyson Foerster and Noah Cates ahead. Plus there is the potential for players like Bobby Brink to become mainstays. The vision is coming together in Philadelphia and this year was a glimpse of what’s to come.

I just hope its possible to get rid of some dead weight so that we can keep rebuilding. Atkinson and Risto being my top two i want gone.

Yeesh. Doesn't paint a very pretty picture. About half are below-average cup contender level and half fall below the range entirely in the projections. I think if Michkov can be an Elite Winger and push the others down a slot that would have the wingers pretty well covered. C and D need a lot of help though. Probably 2 each at the top of the lineup to really get there. We'll see what Barkey and Bonk can do. Need to hit on the 4x first rounders over the next two years.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeesh. Doesn't paint a very pretty picture. About half are below-average cup contender level and half fall below the range entirely in the projections. I think if Michkov can be an Elite Winger and push the others down a slot that would have the wingers pretty well covered. C and D need a lot of help though. Probably 2 each at the top of the lineup to really get there. We'll see what Barkey and Bonk can do. Need to hit on the 4x first rounders over the next two years.
I checked out all the other teams that are in the article with us and we need so much right now it may be a long trip back to the cup.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crushing loss for the Canes last night. Looked like they had it in the bag before Kreider goes off for the natural hat trick.

Feels like whenever I watch the Rangers, Kreider is the guy carrying the team (outside of Shesterkin of course). Going from Lundqvist to Shesterkin is unfair.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crushing loss for the Canes last night. Looked like they had it in the bag before Kreider goes off for the natural hat trick.

Feels like whenever I watch the Rangers, Kreider is the guy carrying the team (outside of Shesterkin of course). Going from Lundqvist to Shesterkin is unfair.
Just thinking about a week or two ago this board was crushing on Carolina. :nono:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just thinking about a week or two ago this board was crushing on Carolina. :nono:

Heh, still like them. Anderson was garbage in this series. Let up at least 1 softie in each game, that was the difference. Will be interesting to see what they do this offseason. Huge chunk of their roster is RFA or UFA.

Also, CapFriendly just moved to next season and guess who has the highest projected cap hit for 24-25? :doh:

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh, still like them. Anderson was garbage in this series. Let up at least 1 softie in each game, that was the difference. Will be interesting to see what they do this offseason. Huge chunk of their roster is RFA or UFA.

Also, CapFriendly just moved to next season and guess who has the highest projected cap hit for 24-25? :doh:
Buy out Petersen and Johansen and/or Atkinson, and problem is solved. All three carry a much smaller hit for 1 extra year.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buy out Petersen and Johansen and/or Atkinson, and problem is solved. All three carry a much smaller hit for 1 extra year.

It does help quite a bit. And Ellis can go on LTIR. Just a lot of money being spent on a middling team. Some was of course intentional, they got assets to take the Peterson deal and retained on Hayes. But still.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I liked the idea of trading for Marner a few season ago, now it doesn't make a lot of sense IMO. He's 27 and makes 10M for 1 more year. I'm not really sure what the point is. If the idea is to keep him long term, let him become a free agent and try to sign him, why give up assets for him?

The idea I've seen on social media and stuff that I think is interesting is trying to package Laughton and the Florida pick for another pick in the top 13. See if you can pry a high pick away from someone who thinks they should've been better this year and might be missing a locker room presence like Laughton. The Devils and Sabres at 10 and 11 could make some sense. Ottawa at 7, though you're getting pretty high up in the draft at that point. But that's an idea I like a lot. Hopefully get 2 top of the lineup level prospects out of this draft and go in to next season hoping to get 2 more. Then maybe the idea of re-signing TK gets a little more attractive because you have some youth coming up that you're hoping are the difference makers you need to slot TK as more of a 3-4th best forward instead of your best forward.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, it has been a long time since we have been to the big dance!!